More on Frame Clean up? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > More on Frame Clean up?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 10-03-2002, 08:03 AM   #1
DaveFL

More on Frame Clean up?

Contacted the guys at POR 15 found that in order to use this stuff I need to take frame down to bare metal.

1/4 of the frame has been stripped down, but was trying to prevent stripping entire frame. Engine and transmisson are still mounted and I have no way to move frame for sandblasting.

At this point I have 2 options I guess.

Sand and grind the entire frame by hand or is there a better solution?

Find a different frame paint that does not require bare metal to bond too that will prevent surface rust spots from reforming, any ideas?

Ive been using a grinder with 120 grit soft abbrasive pads to strip now. Its working pretty good although hard to get in some tight places, and the pads last for about 2 feet of frame each so It might get costly this way as well. Any other suggestions for stripping?

Thanks
Dave

DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2002, 04:47 PM   #2
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

That guy is smoking crack.
Do your best to clean it up with a grinder, wire wheel, wire brush, whatever.... and then coat it....

Don't sweat it.
Unread 10-04-2002, 07:10 AM   #3
DaveFL

Okay so the POR 15 will adhere to old frame paint if its cleaned up? Anyone else try this?

I guess its worth a shot anyhow.

Thanks
Dave
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.