Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

More crap that don't fit!!!!

3K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  Exposed 
#1 ·
Man, it sure can get frustrating when you are ready to do a project and then the aftermarket parts don't fit... About a month or so we were discussing on one of the blogs about weather stripping. On the 86 CJ7, I noticed when I washed it, I had a small leak on the front of the door seal. After talking about the weather stripping, I ordered the entire kit from 1A Auto. They did not just have the door ones but I needed the rear hardtop one as well so decided to just buy the entire kit.. Well, finally got around to installing and sure enough hole line up okay but it looks like it is about 2" too long on the back side and good 1" too long on front... You can see in the pictures below.... I guess the next question would be, are all the full size doors the same size on CJ7's??? The packing slip says the kit is good for 76-86 CJs. I hate to cut them to shorten. I will shoot an email to their customer support and see what they suggest I do... Anybody else ran into this problem????

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
It looks like you started at the top and the bottom, and then worked your way to the middle?? Can't you start at the top and work your way down and terminate under the door at a random point instead?

#8 ·
There is a formed 90 degree corner at the front top. That is the starting point on the top and on the bottom there are holes that are not equally spaced so do have a definite location to match gasket.. Yes, I can cut the gasket to fit but the deal was to buy ones that fit... The ones that came for the CJ5 doors (from Rallytops) were a cut length and I had to make a butt joint on the bottom... I can fix but just figured for the $200 kit, they would be the correct length and fit the door.... I have not installed the rear window which is built the same.... Wondering now if that will fit or be too long or short....

#9 ·
There is a formed 90 degree corner at the front top. That is the starting point on the top and on the bottom there are holes that are not equally spaced so do have a definite location to match gasket.. Yes, I can cut the gasket to fit but the deal was to buy ones that fit... The ones that came for the CJ5 doors (from Rallytops) were a cut length and I had to make a butt joint on the bottom... I can fix but just figured for the $200 kit, they would be the correct length and fit the door.... I have not installed the rear window which is built the same.... Wondering now if that will fit or be too long or short....
I have not gotten to that point yet in my restore, but I can see what is ahead. I totally agree with you regarding fit/cost. Was this one of our JF vendors? Keep us posted on their reply.

#16 ·
How is that gasket mounted? Does it pop/push down into a little channel that holds it in place?

If so, that much slack can easily be taken up by pushing the gasket back the other way on both sides, and working it around the door.

If it attaches with clips, then you're screwed.

#18 ·
The weather stripping has holes in it at the top to allow water to flow down to the bottom and exit. There are holes in the door vertically on front and back as well as on the bottom. These holes match the molded plugs into the gasket. Everywhere above the glass line (window rolled down) uses push in 90 degree form for the molding to set in. It really is a good design and holds the molding without anything else. The top above the glass line and the bottom below the glass line, both fit well. The only problem is there is a couple of inches not needed in the middle.. If you cut the molding, you will loose that internal channel in the molding for the water to escape instead of running down the inside door jam... I don't think cutting it up to fit is the solution.....
I wanted to point out to our vendor that they need to make some adjustments in their manufacturing or who they are getting from needs to.....
My ability and skills have nothing to do with it fixing this problem....

#22 ·
:rofl::hahaha::rofl::hahaha:Could not have put it better Dazed. My PO bought alot of that crap and gave it to me when I bought his unfinfished project. I tried to sell it and ended up just giving most ot it away just to make room in my garage :2thumbsup:

#20 ·
Calvin,

The only solution is to try another vendor, and they all seem to have issues of one sort or another. If you own anything other than a Chevelle, Camaro, early Mustang or a handful of classic trucks you are SOL. You would think there are enough Jeep CJ fans to support a company that can reproduce quality replacement parts.

I was talking to my Uncle last night, I am beginning to feel guilty about buying HF tools because they are cheap and our economy continues to sink. With tools there is often a Made in the USA alternative but the same replacement part from four different parts stores are almost without fail, Made in China.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

#21 ·
Is it possible to pull it tight from the 90, cut off the lugs that don't line up, and attach the rubber to the door with a good bonding agent? Then trim off the excess under the door...

#24 ·
Update from 1AAuto on weatherstripping.. The guy I talked to was very nice and easy to talk to.. He said he would get back with me shortly on a solution... About an hour later, he called and said they were shipping another set for the doors to try.. He is thinking it was a glitch and not the norm.. Said if the new set did not fit either, we would talk again to get some resolution.... So for now, I will wait till the next set shows up....

#26 ·
Well, Friday received the new replacement weather stripping from 1AAuto... I am sorry to say, still does not fit. They are definitely from another vendor since they had two sets of pins on the bottom. Not for sure why, but one set does match all the holes along the bottom. It looks like the front edge would be close enough if glued down on passenger side. But front and back on drivers side, about the same length as the other set. It is almost like my window are about 2" short in height. I feel pretty comfortable that the doors and windows are from the factory since it was a one owner Jeep and owner confirmed they came from Jeep. I emailed 1AAuto late Friday and will call them today and see what they say. Not for sure if they can come up with something else. I hesistated on removing the old one the rear door because if remove it will destroy like on the door. They are old enough they tear up when removing... I would not had thought it would be a big deal to get weather stripping, boy I am mistaken.. If 1AAuto can't find another set that fits, I guess I will have to cut and re-glue where it is too long.. I had all the grand kids over this weekend and everyone wanted to go riding in the Jeep and man it is noisy without the door molding on both doors.... Will keep everyone updated.....

#29 ·
I had this same problem last year.
I was sent 5 different sets of door seals, and all of them were Junk.
One set had an additional 9" of excess.
I finally bought NOS/Mopar door seals and all was good.
Talk about a tight smooth fit.
Not like the aftermarket junk.
Be careful though,
So called Jeep "Mopar company" re-bags Crown crap and puts the Mopar name on it.
Although, I had no problems with my crown rear glass seal.
But who knows what the quality is like now.
I've had a lot of problems with Crown stuff too.
Also.......... The door seal was never meant to be cut & glued.
I know aftermarket parts are usually poor to deal with,
But usually some cutting, bending, drilling or welding is in order to make it fit appropriately, But not the case when dealing with a basic door seal.
Whether your skilled or not !

#30 ·
LT1CJ7, did you order through a Dodge/Jeep dealer or get online somewhere??? I noticed the ones I removed had a number on them like OEM and not aftermarket. I figured that Dodge/Jeep would not go back that far and would be forced to go aftermarket or I would have went to a dealer for sure.... Your right, basic door seals should not be cut and glued unless last resort....
thanks

#33 ·
Well I just got off the phone with 1AAuto.com. They have been really sincere about trying to resolve the issue. However, they have two suppliers which they shipped both doors and neither are close enough to fit property. They are going to refund me for the door seals..... I can't be mad at them for the issue which is beyond their control.. I would hope they would issue a disclaimer or alert buyers they have had issues on not fitting properly. So, I will be ordering a set from the link that LT1CJ7 posted above... I noticed these are listed for 91-93 Wrangler. I am assuming the doors are the same on 86 CJ7....

#34 ·
Can someone confirm that the doors on an 86 CJ7 are the same size, shape, etc. as on a 92 Wrangler???? I know the aftermarket supplier says weather stripping is same for 76-95.. Just wanted to make sure before ordering for the 92 Wrangler.
thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.