more cooling questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > more cooling questions

Jeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontJeep Grand Cherokee Window RegulatorComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 03-23-2004, 10:50 PM   #1
lovemy'79350

more cooling questions

ok so i have been looking around and found bunch of different products u can add to your radiator to cool the temp. like i said before i just put in an 84 350 and i really dont have the money to but a new aluminum radiator. this stuff claims to drop the temp between 20 and 30 degrees. anybody got any experience with it or is it all bs?

lovemy'79350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2004, 04:54 PM   #2
Lightningdon

Check out this new Aluminum radiator for the Chevy V8 conversion on eBay: Aluminum Radiator
Good price! I have one for my CJ5 with the AMC V8, and I am happy with it. Nice quality, great price, and cools like crazy!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." (Edmund Burke)
Lightningdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2004, 09:57 PM   #3
lovemy'79350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightningdon
Check out this new Aluminum radiator for the Chevy V8 conversion on eBay: Aluminum Radiator
Good price! I have one for my CJ5 with the AMC V8, and I am happy with it. Nice quality, great price, and cools like crazy!
lol thanks for the link but the prob is 300 bucks is way outa my range right now i am deff gona drop one of them in before summers out but coming out of school i got no cash. i thought the addative would be a good way to get around town till i get a few paychecks under my belt thanks
Unread 03-25-2004, 12:35 PM   #4
Geer_hed

Have you taken the thermostat out? You have stock radiator in your CJ w/304 cid engine? That should keep it below overheat I would imagine. Your gas mileage will probably plummet but it's a cheap way to shave some degrees until you can get a radiator....
Unread 03-25-2004, 01:10 PM   #5
rukkus0o

Quote:

Good looking, I was in need of a Alum radiator for mine
rukkus0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2004, 04:58 PM   #6
Lightningdon

As far as aluminum radiators go, you would be hard pressed to find a better price than those on that eBay link. I started out searching for one and everywhere I looked, they were over $500! Mine is a nice quality rad, but I had to do a little custom fitting to get mine in. Stock had center cap, the alum had driver side cap. I needed to trim my radiator support for room near the cap. Also needed to trim my shroud a little for the hoses. I also needed a longer top hose, mine was an inch or two too short.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." (Edmund Burke)
Lightningdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2004, 09:51 AM   #7
rukkus0o

Quote:
As far as aluminum radiators go, you would be hard pressed to find a better price than those on that eBay link. I started out searching for one and everywhere I looked, they were over $500! Mine is a nice quality rad, but I had to do a little custom fitting to get mine in. Stock had center cap, the alum had driver side cap. I needed to trim my radiator support for room near the cap. Also needed to trim my shroud a little for the hoses. I also needed a longer top hose, mine was an inch or two too short.
Yea Ive been poking around trying to find the best price. 575 is the best I had come up with prior to this one on ebay. But hey, to keep the engine cool and save 150 bucks I'll trim a little here and there
Unread 03-27-2004, 05:48 AM   #8
Later_THANKS

Might be time to sell

If you can not afford $300 for a rad you need to sell it. You are over your head and you need to worry about more important things like studies or finding a better paying job.

Not trying to be negative, but trying to be relastic. If you keep driving it and it is over heating then you are going to destroy the motor.

Then it will sit in a driveway for months and rust away.

There is no cheap way to keep a 350 cool in a jeep. That is just plan fact.

Owning a Jeep is fun but does cost allot of money.
Rob99 Fan Club Member#00

Beware users with very thin skin:
------------------------------------------
gschretter
Later_THANKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2004, 11:29 AM   #9
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

It is expensive! However, once I became a Jeep addict (about 15 years ago), I resorted to alternative funding to help with my projects. Mainly the barter/trade/sell system. I travel in a circle where the majority of my friends are fellow Jeepers (or at least 4wheelers). Their friends are also Jeepers. We frequently trade or sell each other various parts to help feed our habits. Also, I am a packrat. I look at everything from a "can this help my Jeep" view point. In addition, I occasionally sell stuff on eBay to help make $$$. Basically, I do whatever it takes to keep my Jeeps alive and well.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2004, 06:45 AM   #10
rukkus0o

haha yeah thats me already. Looking to alternative methods to fund my project!! So far it's working out nice and im 2/3 the way there to getting this radiator strictly from side money. anywho
Unread 03-29-2004, 05:50 PM   #11
lovemy'79350

its not that bad

yeah i am broke right now but thats because i dont have a job simply put i am in college. i am just looking for a way to get my rig on the road for the summer and thanks but aint no way in hell i am gona sell my jeep i will ebay a kidney first. i will have the money for a rad about a month or two into the summer and this is the last major expense i have in this build. everything else is in and functioning. i am just looking for a way to get around town till i get my first few paychecks of the summer then i am good to go for one o' them fancy radiator jobbers
Unread 03-29-2004, 06:08 PM   #12
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
this is the last major expense i have in this build
You don't know how many times a year I say that..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2004, 01:15 PM   #13
T Hoff
1975 CJ5 

What radiator are you running?

Make sure you flush through the fins. Tons of sand builds up in the fins. Take you garden hose and spray from the engine compartment outward.

Did the 350 ever run cool or has it been a problem from day 1?

I'm running a 'BE COOL' radiator. you are too tight on funds for that. I nursed my CJ for years before breaking down and saying good bye to over heat worries.
the 1991 X is my newbie with 331K on the clock: bought OCT.'03 with 183K
http://home.lyse.net/brox/TonyPage4.html
T Hoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2004, 01:23 PM   #14
lovemy'79350

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Hoff
What radiator are you running?

Make sure you flush through the fins. Tons of sand builds up in the fins. Take you garden hose and spray from the engine compartment outward.

Did the 350 ever run cool or has it been a problem from day 1?

I'm running a 'BE COOL' radiator. you are too tight on funds for that. I nursed my CJ for years before breaking down and saying good bye to over heat worries.

seems i have confused people. the engine didnt overheat before it was in my cj. and now that i put the 350 in it hasnt moved 2 ft. it runs, everything is fine i just havent hooked up a radiator. I have my stock 258 rad. and was wondering if i put this in with one of them additives that lowers the temps if that would get me around town for a couple weeks till i got a few paychecks in to buy one of the aluminum ones or if it would run too hot?
Unread 03-30-2004, 01:36 PM   #15
T Hoff
1975 CJ5 

OH. I thought you were running it for a while.

I doubt the 258 rad. will handle it. A 304 rad. worked for me ...sorta; as I said above. You will need to cut out the upper and Lower necks and swap sides. I still think it's going to squeeze too hard on the wallet.

And to answer your original question, I heard of that water shedding stuff but haven't heard from any who has used it. Sorry
the 1991 X is my newbie with 331K on the clock: bought OCT.'03 with 183K
http://home.lyse.net/brox/TonyPage4.html
T Hoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.