More CJ Tranny Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > More CJ Tranny Questions

Poison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 05-06-2004, 09:39 AM   #1
had

More CJ Tranny Questions

Back again with more questions.

I've got a 1974 CJ-5, 304 V8, with T-15A and Dana 20 Transfer case. Stock Dana 44 with 3.73 in back. 31x10.5 Coopers

This is a street jeep, with only very light off road use. I don't need a wide ratio T-18 rock crawler setup.

The T-15A needs bearings etc; probably the xfer case also. I "think" I would like a close ratio 4 spd w/a OD 4th gear.

I'm interested in what your thoughts are as to a swap out for a 4spd. I know that if it is a later transmission I will have to go with 300 transfer case and mod the drive line, etc.

Or should I just rebuild what I've got and say to heck with the swap?

Thanks to all,
Had

had is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2004, 11:45 AM   #2
lynn
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Most 4 speeds do not have an OD 4th.
Usually 4th is 1:1, same as 3rd in your 3 speed. You usually don't get an OD gear until the 5 speeds. The T5 is weak, the WC T5 is OK, the NV4500 is strong but usually considered too big for a CJ5...

EarlyCJ5.net Forums
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2004, 10:10 PM   #3
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Ford made a 4 speed OD trans. This is a standard 4 speed with the 3rd gear reset as an OD. They flipped the shifter linkage to make the 3rd/4th fork shift backward. Since this is externally a standard Ford car four speed, you will need to get an aftermarket adapter. Rebuilding the existing trans is the easiest, unless you do enough high speed highway driving to justify the cost and pain of the OD swap.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.