Mopar MPI rough running issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Mopar MPI rough running issue

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 09-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
ChrisEaton82
1982 CJ7 

Mopar MPI rough running issue

Hi All!

I have the Mopar MPI injection on my CJ and it has started to run poorly, it started out somewhat intermittently but now happens consistently. It starts right up, runs smooth for a few minutes and then goes to crap. It runs really rough, more than just one fouled plug type of chugging, its more like a rumble strip on the side of the highway type shuddering... its "seems" to come out of it with RPM, as when I am going down the road and I get on it is seems to go away, or I cannot feel it any more at least. If I leave in gear (standard) when going down even a slight grade it will back fire. It smells of unburned fuel badly. I have checked fuel PSI, its around 40, I have changed plugs, cap, rotor, wires, and coil, with no improvement. Might it be a crank sensor? I don't think its mechanical (timing chain) because it seems to run ok for brief amounts of time esp when I first start it.

For a little while shutting it off and restarting it seemed to help.. (clue?)

thanks!

ChrisEaton82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
andresesquire
1984 CJ7 

I have the same set up. It could very well be the the crank sensor. You can get those locally at the parts store for cheaper. I had mine go bad. It is not uncommon, it the first thing I would replace.

Good luck.

Here is the link for Advance Auto:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...m=crank+sensor

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/search.php?searchid=12522000
andresesquire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Take it down to Auto Zone and borrow a scanner and find out what the real problem is then address it. Otherwise you will be throwing parts at it.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
tombstne
1982 CJ7 

Any codes come up on check engine light? read this near the end http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f140/...rd-mpi-598873/
If all else fails, ask Hesco http://www.hesco.us/
tombstne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
PERK
1983 CJ7 

still sounds like a coil break down, just went through it myself. aftermarket coils are junk (surprise ! ). there's a good thread on the yj board from the past about coil problems with the 4.0. goggle search it.
PERK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #6
ChrisEaton82
1982 CJ7 

problem solved

Thanks for all the great advice, I though coil too, but when I found the #1 injector "running" all the time, I knew something else was up. The long and short of it was the wiring harness to the ECM was just a bit too close the the exhaust at the rear of the engine. When it warmed up the ground wire to the #1 injector would short to the exhaust and make the injector run all the time. As I learned the injectors have power anytime the key is on and are grounded at the right time to open. when mine grounded it just flowed fuel constantly. Once I got the harness out where I could fix it, Bam! it ran great again! (Yea!)
thanks again for the help folks!
ChrisEaton82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Thanks for coming back and letting us know what was wrong and how you fixed it. This will help others who find this thread later.
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.