Mopar MPFI kit engine compartment pics - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Mopar MPFI kit engine compartment pics

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 09-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #16
PERK
1983 CJ7 

Fredrok, I agree with you, there is a wealth of information on OBD2. but, the kit as supplied is OBD 1 based on a '94 4.0

PERK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 10:31 AM   #17
fredrok
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERK View Post
Fredrok, I agree with you, there is a wealth of information on OBD2. but, the kit as supplied is OBD 1 based on a '94 4.0
Yes, it is an OBD I system and no, you cannot generally adjust timing. However, you CAN adjust timing with a DRB II diagnostic computer (scanner). Not to be confused with OBD II. 2 entirely different animals. I have one. I have advanced my timing 2 degrees from stock setting which is generally retarded 6 degrees by default.

Pics of the injectors I was speaking of earlier and a readout of the DRB scanner connected to my MPFI kit.

Also, as an alternative, because the DRB scanners are hard to come by, you can call Lee or Bernie at Hesco and they will burn you a Unichip to your needs with free tuning programs to download and program until it's fine tuned. They can change fuel and spark maps among other parameters.
imag0506.jpg   imag0509.jpg   imag0510.jpg  
Unread 09-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #18
tombstne
1982 CJ7 

Hey Fredrok, did you have MPI with a 4.2 head then converted to 4.0 head?
I have the 4.2 w/MPI and debating if I want the 4.0 head? Noticeable power? 87 oct gas is a plus.
tombstne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 06:29 PM   #19
fredrok
1985 CJ7 

I did the head and FI kit at the same time. It was also soon after I moved from sea level to 7,400ft so really have no comparison. Sorry.

I built the engine years ago, bored .020 over and milled the deck so my compression ratio was already higher. With the smaller combustion chambers on my 4.0 head, I'm just shy of 10:1 which would be more than a stock configuration. I cannot run less than 91 and that's the highest you can find where I am (altitude). I try like hell to fuel with non-ethanol when able and I occasionally had ping even with the 4.0 head under load going up hill on warmer days (aggravated by the more aggressive camshaft). That all went away when I swapped injectors.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.