Moldy smell in cab. HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Moldy smell in cab. HELP

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 10-14-2002, 09:14 PM   #1
AeroViper1

Moldy smell in cab. HELP

I know I know, clean clean. I was just wondering with what??? I have had an 84 CJ7 for 2 years and I cannot get rid of this darn smell. I have done a lot of cleaning and it keeps coming back. What has anybody found to get rid of that smell well? (not intentional rhyme there)

AeroViper1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2002, 09:45 PM   #2
rustyCJ

Do you have carpet? floorliner of anykind? if you do the smell is coming from those and as far as i know there is no way to get rid of the smell...if it seems to just smell that way even though you dont have any carpet, mine did for a long time till my girlfriend said it stunk too much for her to ride in it. I got rid of it by using a garden feeder hose attachment, you know the thing you fill with fertilizer and spray. i filled mine with bleach and sprayed the inside of my jeep out and let it sit. i had to let it air out the entire next day to get rid of the bleach smell but the following day the mold smell was gone.
Unread 10-15-2002, 05:57 AM   #3
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

I just stripped my CJ down to the frame. But lemme tell you, when I took out that carpet, I was gagging the entire time. I couldn't believe how awful it smelled. I would imagine that is your culprit.
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2002, 06:23 AM   #4
DaveFL

Ozone, its any smells worst enemy and high concentrations it will actually kill mold.

If you call some large detail companies they may have auto ozonation machines, the big catch is most of ones used for auto use do not produce enough ozone to actually kill off mold.

Mold will thrive in dark spaces, vent ducts and more and continue to come back. Several companies sell small machines that circulate continously in your auto to remove unwanted smells. These machines probablt sell for $100 or so. I sell them myself but this machine will do nothing but more or less remove the odor circulating, it will not prevent it from coming back. The mold must be killed in order to stop the smell from returning.

Living Air systems, Eco Quest and many others sell machines that produce ozone in concentrations to litterally turn the enviroment they are sealed in into a gaseous bleach, killing mold, bacteria, pollens and more. The machines sell for $450 to $600. The one I sell goes for $500.

Another thing is maybe find a restoration company in your area or a Dry Cleaners. Lots of these companies have ozone machines they use in fire or water damaged houses or clothes. If its not in use Im sure they may ozonate your vehicle for a few bucks.

Just an idea
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2002, 10:07 AM   #5
scottahicks

just a thought but mabey washing your feet and not wearing sandels might help ?????

sorry i had to

1980 CJ5, 304 V8, flat top pistons, rv cam, quadra-jet carb, edelbrock intake, hooker headers, Purple Hornies 3" header glasspacks, Solid Driveshaft, t-176 manual 4speed, 3" body lift, 1foot extended front bumper for wrecker winch "no winch yet" 33X12.5X15 Wild Country XRT's on chrome wagon wheels, custom spray paint job, lots of rust, dents, oh and a driver that treats it like a jeep "screw the paint I can make it!" Daily Driven!!!!! Green Jeep Club member #37 Flamed Jeep Club member #1 and President
scottahicks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2002, 11:33 AM   #6
Jeep-Ne-Time

Quote:
Originally posted by scottahicks
just a thought but mabey washing your feet and not wearing sandels might help ?????

sorry i had to
Just fell out of my office chair

try color safe bleach...it shouldn't damage your carpet but will kill mold....try it under the seat first thought....not responsible for your carpet man...just an idea!!!!
Mark

2001 Tj, Yellow Sport, 5 speed,
4.5" RE super-flex, 1" body and motor lift,
33x12.5x15 Super Swamper SSR's
on Black Rock Crawlers,
Locked front and rear
Cobra CB, and NO CHROME!!!!!
Jeep-Ne-Time is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2002, 06:10 PM   #7
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

While I agree that you gotta clean and DRY everything on the inside of your Jeep also try this:

I too, have some slight smelly issues, and did not bother pulling the carpet until the tub swap (maybe in two weeks yeah). I this stuff, I think it's lava rocks or something in a nylon mesh bag. It fits under the seat (hung from the bottom), and really helps with the smell. Best think is, like an ozone cleaning, it removes (actually traps) the smell, and does not just try to mask it. I think Home Improvements sells it for basements and closets.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2002, 09:23 PM   #8
Jeep4fun

Carpet

why not just take out the carpet and leave it out? When I took out mine, it really stunk. There was no possible way it was from me because I had just bought it the day before, gross.
Unread 10-17-2002, 07:31 PM   #9
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by CJeep
While I agree that you gotta clean and DRY everything on the inside of your Jeep also try this:

I too, have some slight smelly issues, and did not bother pulling the carpet until the tub swap (maybe in two weeks yeah). I this stuff, I think it's lava rocks or something in a nylon mesh bag. It fits under the seat (hung from the bottom), and really helps with the smell. Best think is, like an ozone cleaning, it removes (actually traps) the smell, and does not just try to mask it. I think Home Improvements sells it for basements and closets.
I believe the baggie of stuff you are refering to is charcoal .. also used in aquariums to filter out the bad stuff from the water.

I personally like "NilOder" .. great product .. works forever!
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.