Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Modified stock air cleaner with TBI

4K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  Matt1981CJ7 
#1 ·
I am not a fan of the open element under the hood. Prefer the stock look and cooler air from the grill. Has a brake booster. The OEM offset air cleaner has a small opening (for the original Carter BBD). Anyone modify that? I'm looking for an OEM looking offset with a large opening for the TBI. Not looking for the common Howell aluminum style with cone filter as seen below. Rather the OEM look somehow modified for TBI (Keith's photo).

Attachments

See less See more
#12 ·
Jeepdaddy,

That part is occasionally offered on EBay. You may be able to get one with a CJ power brake style air cleaner assembly. You may need to ask about the part when purchasing the assembly. The part when available "stand alone" often costs as much as an entire air cleaner assembly.

JS

#14 ·
Great ideas! Lugnut, could you please post more photos of the great TBI adapter and your fabricated valve cover bracket for the offset power brake style air cleaner? My plan is to add the OEM power brake booster. Do you have enough room between the TBI throttle linkage and OEM booster/MC?

#26 ·
While I am sourcing parts to do a clean factory look (new air cleaner and mount) I still wanted to retain the use of my vehicle. I ended up picking up the mr gasket adapaters pictured above from oreillys. They will work just fine. I have a round 10inch edelbrock breather on it right now. It's open air, so until I get my OEM setup going, I'm not going near dirt roads.

#24 ·
Somewhat on Subject

While reading this thread I saw a pic of a valve cover that got my attention. So Good Morning to all and can someone help me identify the openings on my valve cover.

Obviously the oil fill cap, the PCV and its the one on the back end that confuses me. It is just a 60º elbow that goes to what appears to be a jury rigged hose into the breather.

Also, the PCV has two lines coming off of it. One transitions to copper tubbing, and then goes down into the manifold beneath the carburetor. The other hose is all rubber and goes to a vacuum port on the very OUTSIDE of the manifold.

The pic I'm referring to in this thread looks to have a "oil type cap" in the very back. Here is a pic of my valve cover. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.