Modern Jeep CJ Gauges with Vintage Look - Voice your Opinion - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Modern Jeep CJ Gauges with Vintage Look - Voice your Opinion

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 10-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #31
SpeedhutBart
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewtoy View Post
Love the concept. I personally have no need for an inclinometer and would prefer to have the tach separate. Maybe a speed sensor option instead of GPS, just a thought. As stated above, if you can get the price down to 200-250 range you will have a lot of buyers including me, above that your buyer ratio will drop off exponentially.
Base unit will not include a tach...we wanted to offer the non-Laredo jeepers a means of adding a tach without punching additional holes in the dash.

SpeedhutBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #32
SpeedhutBart
Vendor

Update on time-frame for release:
Just in time for Black Friday, should be a good time to purchase!
Unread 10-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #33
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

What is EL lighting?

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #34
SpeedhutBart
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ5_Fan View Post
How long does it take for the gps to acquire? Is speedo nonoperational during that period?
GPS takes up to 30 seconds to acquire and will not be functional until it acquires a signal. If the vehicle is stopped and started up again within 4 hours turning it off, then it will only take about 2 seconds to acquire.
Unread 10-07-2013, 01:18 PM   #35
SpeedhutBart
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbtgait View Post
Curious if since the speedometer uses GPS, does the odometer/trip meter also?
If so, then as been said, trees and deep mountain canyons would/could affect the readings.
What is the GPS antenna like? How large, where do you recommend it be placed?
Would hate to tear it off on a tree branch....

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Yes, the trip and odometer both come from the GPS. We are talking about adding an additional input so the gauge could run off a speed sensor if the signal is lost. We could also use both signals for a self-calibration setup of the standard speedo so no gears have to ever be changed if the wheel size changes.

Here is a pic of the GPS antenna. It has an internal magnet so it can be mounted magnetically, anywhere there is a clean line of site to the sky such as the front of the dash.
20131007_130417.jpg  
Unread 10-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #36
SpeedhutBart
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahreno View Post
I like it , I wish it would fit my 61 wagon . My speedo and gas gauge doesn't work . I also have 38 " tires so it would be nice to have a speedo that is accurate , Will it fit ?
You will need to measure the diameter of the hole of the speedo. The outer diameter of our gauge is 5.575", which fits into the CJ dashes. Here is a shot of the prototype case/bezel.
20131007_132156.jpg  
Unread 10-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #37
SpeedhutBart
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPERSCREEPERS99 View Post
I love it and would be great in my Scrambler but the price is an issue. If it was near 500 or a little lower maybe 750 no chance. Vim in a market for all new gauges.
We should be in the ball park near $500 for speedo unit depending on features. Complete set with auxiliary gauges and senders would be around $750...also, might be a slight discount for Black Friday when we release them.
Unread 10-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #38
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

I'll just stick with my original gauges (even though a few don't work). $500 to $750, I just can't see spending that much on a product that takes away from the original appearance of the CJ dash.
Let's face it gents, 90% of the issues we have with stock gauges is due to wiring. Throw $750 at a product that isn't going to magically fix those issues.
It's your money so do what you want. Me, I'm going to save that money and probably a good butt chewing from the wife
Unread 10-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #39
MoneypitCJ5
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
What is EL lighting?
EL lighting is electroluminescence...sorta like a big Indiglo watch.

There's no "bulb", just an electrified skin that glows under high voltage. Dodge has used this alot in the last several years. My Challenger has gauges like that.
And many in between!
MoneypitCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #40
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

I like em. Most people who can afford the $ aren't running bone stock trucks anyway. Personally, I need to invest the $ other places as my Heep has to many other problems. I like the built-in tach option. Looks spiffy.
Unread 10-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #41
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneypitCJ5 View Post
EL lighting is electroluminescence...sorta like a big Indiglo watch.

There's no "bulb", just an electrified skin that glows under high voltage. Dodge has used this alot in the last several years. My Challenger has gauges like that.
Ahh! Thanks for the explanation.

I would have to see one in person or at least a good representative in an image. Do they dim?

I cannot imagine that looking good on my dash. Of course a little brighter would be nice but not too sure about the glow.

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #42
MoneypitCJ5
1977 CJ5 

I'm assuming this gauge would dim? I know they do in my car, but obviously a much different electrical system...

This is a stock photo, but it would give you the idea:
And many in between!
MoneypitCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #43
jimdubose
1978 CJ5 

the problem I see with a setup like this one is that it would rob me of the chance to curse and fuss and raise the old blood pressure like the 30 year old ones do when they develop a ground problem or act erratically or need work of one sort or another for any of the cluster parts, lights, gauges, etc.... whaddya trying to do, send John Strenk into early retirement? If I bought one of these units, i'd probably have to take up golf to replace the opportunity to swear on a regular basis........
jimdubose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #44
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedhutBart View Post
Yes, the trip and odometer both come from the GPS. We are talking about adding an additional input so the gauge could run off a speed sensor if the signal is lost. We could also use both signals for a self-calibration setup of the standard speedo so no gears have to ever be changed if the wheel size changes.
Both signals would be preferable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedhutBart View Post
Here is a pic of the GPS antenna. It has an internal magnet so it can be mounted magnetically, anywhere there is a clean line of site to the sky such as the front of the dash.
In front of the dash? Have you seen how much room there is in front of the dash on a CJ? Is this an all weather kind of thing that could be routed up through the cowl vent and sit outside on the windshield or on the cowl?
Unread 10-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #45
spottedfrog
1979 CJ5 

I'm actually really liking these. but are the Tach and clock sized appropriately for the stock holes?
they are not the same as each other and not the same as the volt and oil pressure gauges.
spottedfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.