Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Modern Jeep CJ Gauges with Vintage Look - Voice your Opinion

31K views 127 replies 56 participants last post by  Toms-CJ7 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Jeepers!

We want to get your opinion and input on a new gauge line that we are developing and hope to have out in November. It is a direct OEM replacement for the CJ-7 & CJ-8 gauges. Here are the specs:

• 5 ½" GPS Speedometer - Reads accurately regardless of tire size with NO CALIBRATION!!!
• Made from Billet Aluminum
• Optional Tachometer (Programmable and works with all ignition systems!)
• Optional Programmable Inclinometer with audible warning - tells you if you're about to tip front to rear as well as side to side!
• Heading, Longitude & Latitude, Elevation, Odometer, and Trip Odometer via LCD
• Water Temperature Gauge
• Fuel Level Gauge (User Programmable for use with various senders)
• Turn Signals & High Beam Indicator
• Warning lights - Check Engine, Brake, and 4X4
• Back lit dial and pointers
• Customizable Pointers, Graphics, Colors, and Artwork
• Add a personalized logo or graphic to the dial face
• Water resistant
Matching auxiliary gauges

Let us know what you think! You can also check out our gauge customizer to get a feel for what kind of options you can make to this gauge (you will need to select a set of gauges or an individual gauge in order to access the customizer).

See less See more
#6 ·
Will we have the option of eliminating some of the features? My '72 does not indicate that it is in 4x4, have a brake light or check engine light. I assume we can take off the "unleaded fuel only" print. I like the premise, updated but still very CJ like. I would do it if the price was right.

I clicked the link to the "gauge customizer" and was blank. lots of options but no gauge.

Seems the big concern will be price.

#10 ·
Will we have the option of eliminating some of the features? My '72 does not indicate that it is in 4x4, have a brake light or check engine light. I assume we can take off the "unleaded fuel only" print. I like the premise, updated but still very CJ like. I would do it if the price was right.

I clicked the link to the "gauge customizer" and was blank. lots of options but no gauge.

Seems the big concern will be price.
The indicators will be included, if you don't need them and don't hook them up, then they will simply remain grayed out.

As for the gauge customizer, you will need to go to the site and select a set of gauges or a gauge first and that will bring up the customizer.

#7 ·
That's pretty cool looking. It would probably fool a lot of non-CJ folks into thinking it was the original unit. It looks to have a good blend of old and new. I would want to know all of the details about how it's installed and made to work. What kind of electrical connections are needed? Is there an antenna for the GPS? Is the illumination tied to the factory illumination circuit? What kind of lamps provide the internal illumination (LED or incandescent)? What mechanism is used to program the tach and other things?

If this is a $500 gauge then it's not going to find a lot of takers. If it's $200, then maybe we can talk.

#12 ·
Fits directly into existing hole/mounts. The lighting is EL back lit and the indicators are LED so there is no need to change any bulbs. Antenna is provided for GPS. Illumination ties directly into factory wiring and dimmer. Programming is performed through the LCD/trip reset button in a start-up programming mode (various options from 1/2 to 6 pulses per rev and even Hertz for diesels).

Oh, and did I mention, Speedhut is the only gauge manufacturer with a LIFETIME warranty on all our gauges!!! Products are proudly made in the good ole U.S.A.

#14 ·
Love the concept. I personally have no need for an inclinometer and would prefer to have the tach separate. Maybe a speed sensor option instead of GPS, just a thought. As stated above, if you can get the price down to 200-250 range you will have a lot of buyers including me, above that your buyer ratio will drop off exponentially.

#15 ·
I admire your efforts. But I'd rather be honest before your investment than after a big commitment on your part.

Not for that kind of money. I'm not saying it isn't worth it, but I'd rather not spend that kind of money on a gauge. ESPECIALLY one that has all kinds of indicators I don't have a need for.

#16 ·
I like the look. Definitely my style and direction my vehicle is going in. It has the OEM look with the modern touches to back it up. The price point is important, I have spent a bunch of money on my Jeep and try not to skimp but couldn't see myself spending more then $200 on something like this to replace my current setup (especially since my current setup is functioning.

My personal preference is to not include the tach. Seems cluttered and I would prefer to use the factory tach anyways. I like all of the other features, brake light, 4x4, and check engine light as my setup requires it. I was planning on getting a Lokar shifter for my auto with the LED indicator, and if you can incorporate a similar LED indicator then that would be a bonus. It will depend on how it looks but it would at least give me an option.

When do you expect to have them available for sale?

#17 ·
Considering the aftermarket "stock" replacements run around $150 and have zero warranty and are filled with guages that just plain suck, I can't see how anyone can expect something like this to go for only $50-$100 more. Can you buy a full set of quality guages like autometer for $200? Not likely. Yes it's a big price tag but for something with a lifetime warranty that is miles ahead of the alternative I would gladly pay $500.......if I were in the market.

Trying to get this for $200 is like asking for rough country pricing on a 4.5" HD RE lift. :D

#20 ·
Ok fair enough, I just went to their site and they have several quad gages for $250-$300. There is no real R&D needed here other than the asthetic casing for the gauges. That said, I think you have a resonable argument for $300-$400 depending on the options ordered. I do hope they offer an electronic programable version vs the GPS as a lot of us live and wheel in thickly forested and or heavly overcast regions of the country where a GPS speedometer would not be as accurate.

#21 ·
I like every thing except the tach, I want a less cluttered look, more stock. And I'll second the idea of a electronic programmable/non GPS version. as tunnels and canyons could be an issue (and in a zombi apocalypses there are no satellites).

I can see my self in the market in the near future. I think $350-400 I could see $500, but $700 is way to rich for me. would be a fair price

I really like the programmable fuel gauge with light. I really like the trip meter, I like the check engine light because its there if I want to go fuel injection. I like the OEM style. I like that its USA made, and has a lifetime warranty.
I am VERY interested.
A separate, Tach,Clock, Volt, and oil pressure Gauge that truly match, and are sized to fit a CJ dash would be awesome. the Tach and clock are harder to find bits. you can get cheap Chinese knock offs, but they look like toys compared to the OEM, and tend to go bad fast. my clock lasted all of 24 hours!

I'd make sure you engineer it for the environment it will see, an OPEN TOP JEEP!. it needs to hold up to UV and rain. and the inevitable hose rinse that a Jeep will get after a 'wheeling trip.

#22 ·
I love it and would be great in my Scrambler but the price is an issue. If it was near 500 or a little lower maybe 750 no chance. Vim in a market for all new gauges.

#25 ·
Curious if since the speedometer uses GPS, does the odometer/trip meter also?
If so, then as been said, trees and deep mountain canyons would/could affect the readings.
What is the GPS antenna like? How large, where do you recommend it be placed?
Would hate to tear it off on a tree branch....

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

#35 ·
Yes, the trip and odometer both come from the GPS. We are talking about adding an additional input so the gauge could run off a speed sensor if the signal is lost. We could also use both signals for a self-calibration setup of the standard speedo so no gears have to ever be changed if the wheel size changes.

Here is a pic of the GPS antenna. It has an internal magnet so it can be mounted magnetically, anywhere there is a clean line of site to the sky such as the front of the dash.

Attachments

#27 ·
I like it and I'm actually thinking about getting it if it ever comes out.

I like the upgraded stock appearance.

I don't mind paying $500-$700 for quality parts.
I absolutely love that it incorporates a "check engine" light, because I'm going fuel injected.
However, I would definitely want to alter some things:

I would personally remove the "unleaded fuel only" (because it's kind of cluttering it up)
I wouldn't want mine to have the tach included, I like the layout of the original tach on the dash.

A concern would be the EL lighting. If not done properly, EL lighting can quickly make a nice vehicle appear to be trashed with glue on parts from autozone. I would definitely have to actually see one illuminated before purchasing. I would also have to know that all lights can be dimmed appropriately.

Another concern: The company boasts a lifetime warranty. I never put a top on my jeep, if it gets rained on, then I grab a towel. A top is NOT ALLOWED on my jeep.The many products that Speedhut offers appear to be of professional quality, but I am interested as to what "lifetime warranty" actually means. I guarantee that when I buy one, it's going to get wet, I'll make sure of it.

All in all.... Looks good and looking forward to seeing one.

#30 ·
EL Lighting - We have been using EL lighting for years in our gauges to provide the most even back-lighting in the industry. LED and bulbs create hot spots which are difficult to eliminate in the lighting.

Lifetime Warranty - We proudly stand behind every gauge we make and will repair or replace any product that has an issue. We are also anticipating others like you that get your jeeps (and our gauges) wet.

Thanks for the questions and feedback!

#28 ·
I also would like to see a direct speed measurement rather than having to depend on a GPS, install an antenna, etc. Also I'd prefer a simple gauge with separate tach, clock, voltage and oil pressure gauges.

Turn signal indicators should be the same bright green as OEM, and I'd like to see the brake and 4wd lights be square as in the original gauge.

As to the lighting source, dimmable LEDs in a warm hue (i.e., not blue-white) would be great, but good incandescent would also be acceptable.

Other than that, if the price is right I'll be very interested in getting a set.

#39 ·
EL lighting is electroluminescence...sorta like a big Indiglo watch.

There's no "bulb", just an electrified skin that glows under high voltage. Dodge has used this alot in the last several years. My Challenger has gauges like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.