Model 20 Axle Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Model 20 Axle Question

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 01-16-2002, 07:38 PM   #1
TG CJ7

Model 20 Axle Question

Iím wondering how you can tell if youíve spun the two piece axles. I've bought an 84 CJ7 a while back and when I bought it the guy told me that it had a problem with the rearend. One wheel will lock up at random. It didnít do it all the time. Now Iíve got it torn down to the frame because Iím replacing the tub, and Iím not even sure if itís the same wheel every time. Iíve only driven it three or four times so thatís all the information I have. I should be done with the tub this weekend, so the rearend is my next project. If itís not the axles, what could it be?

Check it out 1979 CJ7
TG CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2002, 09:11 PM   #2
bigbovine

This is how I tested mine before taking it apart. I put my jeep in 1st gear held down the brake and let out on clutch. The rear wheel just sort of wobbled around while I sat still going nowhere. The other way since you are already down, take wheel off of both sides and inspect the assymbly. Good luck!
bigbovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2002, 12:36 PM   #3
timber

I had the same problem with a Dana 44... Just drivin along and one wheel would lock up..

I finally fixed by rebuilding the brake cylinders...

You may want to also pull the rear diff cover off to inspect the ring and pinion. Make sure there isn't chunks of metal floating around in there.

I seriously doubt the you have broken axle for it to lockup like that it would have to break at the spline (the diff end) The 20's ussualy break on the wheel side (spin the hub) when that happens you can generaly jack it up and pull the wheel and hub completly off the axle.. (They generaly just fall off when it happens)

One thing to inspect before you go wheelin is the hub nut under the cap on the rear wheels. This bolt should have a cotter pin in it. Remove the pin and torque the bolt to 250ft lbs. and replace the cotter pin.. This is the main reason they is because that bolt gets looser than 250 ft lbs.

Hope that helps..
timber is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.