Model 20 Axle issues. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Model 20 Axle issues.

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 04-14-2013, 11:44 PM   #16
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetpro
Looks like you're using the OEM shackles. There's a lot of side slop in them, especially when they get egged out. That amount of wandering about combined with the locker kicking in could be a factor. Maybe some H style or other HD shackles would help.
That's the only thing I can see causing this issue. I've been watching your thread here and if ubolts are torqued, you shouldn't be having this problem. Kinda stumped here too.

I know you were saying that you're trying to go back to OEM, but shackles would be something I would disregard. They are just flimsy.

Again, stumped.....you shouldn't be getting that much play.

RamblingCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #17
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Did you replace the shafts?
Unread 04-15-2013, 12:53 AM   #18
wrongway92407

1986 CJ7 

If the torque arm isn't on the transfer case that will cause it to want to change lanes. as long as your tires are equal in size and air pressure the locker shouldn't have anything to do with it. Those 2 piece axle are known for being not so true. Should replace them with the one piece.
86 CJ7 2.5 detroits, OBA 4.56, air tank bumpers, w/D rings,9500I warn 31x10.5x15, Trxus
86 CJ7 bone stock, w/factory 44 never seen the dirt soon to be for sale
87 Wrangler also never seen the dirt.
wrongway92407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 07:28 AM   #19
LKCJ
1983 CJ7 

Thanks RamblingCJ.

Shackles could be the issue. I will replace them soon and see if that helps. As far as the shafts. I'm assuming you are talking about the drive shafts. I replaced the front shaft but the rear I did not. Had it checked out and it was ok. Just put new u-joints in it. I have checked the tightness of shaft bolts as well several times. I have read on here that some of the guys are using track bars. I thought it may have been because of this reason.
Maybe not. Our local 4wd place here says to do a shackle reversal on the front. I left there thinking, there nuts. How could doing something up front fix what's going on in the back.
I will let you know if the shackles fix the problem.
When I bought this thing back all I remembered was the fun times with this thing. Now I am beginning to remember all the work and money.
I am at the age now where the work is fun but the money part sucks. I will find this problem though, if it takes every dime I have. Lol. I'm a pretty determined type of guy.
LKCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #20
LKCJ
1983 CJ7 

Wringway

Help me out on this torque arm on the transfer case. Is it the arm that connects to the t case plate on the left side. I have noticed that this is a little loose. Should it be?

Lance
Unread 04-15-2013, 07:41 AM   #21
Northside23222
1977 CJ5 

Shove hard side to side on the rear while its parked. Can you see anything flexing more than normal ? Or what if you jack up the back with the rear axle hanging and try to shift it around with no weight on it ?
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #22
LKCJ
1983 CJ7 

I will try this when I get off work and let you know what I find. Heck I will even hang upside down from the axle and swing on it if it will help find the problem.

Sorry Wrongway for the typo!

Lance
Unread 04-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #23
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Here's one to look at. How is your frame? Many times these frames get weak, rust out, crack in the rear areas. Look closely at the frame for cracks.May be all of the suspension parts are solid, but what they are bolted to isn't. Also look around the steering box area...

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #24
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKCJ
Thanks RamblingCJ.

Shackles could be the issue. I will replace them soon and see if that helps. As far as the shafts. I'm assuming you are talking about the drive shafts. I replaced the front shaft but the rear I did not. Had it checked out and it was ok. Just put new u-joints in it. I have checked the tightness of shaft bolts as well several times. I have read on here that some of the guys are using track bars. I thought it may have been because of this reason.
Maybe not. Our local 4wd place here says to do a shackle reversal on the front. I left there thinking, there nuts. How could doing something up front fix what's going on in the back.
I will let you know if the shackles fix the problem.
When I bought this thing back all I remembered was the fun times with this thing. Now I am beginning to remember all the work and money.
I am at the age now where the work is fun but the money part sucks. I will find this problem though, if it takes every dime I have. Lol. I'm a pretty determined type of guy.
No problem. I was talking about the axle shafts. If one is bent, I was thinking it might be causing the locker to activate or something.

I agree with the above comments in checking out the frame. If its cracked or in poor shape, that could cause your axle to move around.
Unread 04-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #25
LKCJ
1983 CJ7 

The frame is pretty solid. The jeep has been in Arkansas all its life. We don't use a lot of salt here like you guys do. Sure in the normal spots there is some service rust, but you can rub it a little to see that under the rust there is no pitting in the steel. During the restore I will have the frame powder coated. I did find that the spring plates were cracked when changing the springs. The PO bottomed out the shocks when changing to the SOA and didn't bother replacing them. It bent one of the shock arms and cracked both plates. All of that has been repaired. Didn't notice any cracks in the frame when changing the springs. Even had the gas tank down and out of the way preparing it for a new fuel sending unit and cleaning. Also replaced inlet hose and vent hose while I had the tank out. I plan to eventually replace the axles with one piece mosers. Probably do this when the restore gets going. Just cleaning and rebuilding all mechanical parts right now. I want to drive it this summer to make sure all is well mechanically, and this fall start tearing it down to the frame.

Lance
Unread 04-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #26
LKCJ
1983 CJ7 

The locker does pop a lot. While driving yesterday, at the top of third gear it locked and you could feel the jeep move from one side to the other. If I had known it was about to lock I would not have pushed in on the clutch. I would have held it to see what would happen, but in went the clutch and then fourth gear. Tried a couple of times yesterday to get it to duplicate but never happened.
Unread 04-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #27
LKCJ
1983 CJ7 

Cutlass327

I have cut these axles down with a machine lathe. They are now true. I need to find my video of the axles in the lathe. Most people would be amazed at how pitiful the old style axles really are. These were egg shaped and causing vibrations in the rear axle. Mosers will be going in during the restore. I'm just making a list as I go along.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.