Model 20 Axle issues. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Model 20 Axle issues.

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-13-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
LKCJ

1983 CJ7 

Model 20 Axle issues.

Hey Guys,

I'm new here. I have been reading a lot of threads on here, but have not
seen one yet concerning a problem that I am having with the model 20 axle.
When letting out on the clutch and accelerating I can feel the rear axle moving.
I had a buddy of mine follow me down the street in hopes that he could see what may be happening. He tells me that it seems to be shifting to the right.

It does not have the original diff.
I have to slightly pull the steering wheel to the left to keep the Jeep straight. Any help would be appreciated, or point me to a thread that may help!

Thanks,

LKCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Check your u-bolts, they may be loose. Either that, or worn out/missing spring bushings.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
LKCJ

1983 CJ7 

Thanks Rick,

My name is Lance by the way! I have a new 4" rough country lift so spring bushings I hope would not be the issue. Ujoints and bolts have been replaced as well.
Tried posting a pic of the diff, but I don't have any of my photos in the proper format for uploading at the moment. I have been reading alot on here. So far the forum
is great, and it has given me alot of much needed info. Thanks for the response.

Lance
Unread 04-13-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
LKCJ

1983 CJ7 

I hope that you guys can see this Pic. If not I will try again. I am woundering if the locker diff
may be causing this problem. Any thoughts?

Lance
img_0291.jpg  
Unread 04-14-2013, 07:10 AM   #5
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

Is the rear axle itself shifting to the right, or the whole Jeep?
Unread 04-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
deadeye
1983 CJ7 

Try retorqueing your u-bolts, I bet they came loose.
The locker shouldn't make it pull if you are going in a straight line.
83 CJ7, 350 TBI, TH350, Dana 300 twin stick, Dana 44 E-locker, Ford 8.8, Detroit, 4:10 gears, 35x13.5x15s
"Just Exchange Every Part"
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #7
LKCJ

1983 CJ7 

I think I need to back up and explain more. I will try to put these photos in proper order.
The PO had done a spring over lift and the Jeep was doing this when I bought it back.
I replaced the old original springs with a rough country lift. Still doing it. I have checked the ubolts
several times and torqued to rough country's spec each time. Still doing it. I am also trying to address
a steering issue. Put the sway bar back under the Jeep and a new steering stablizer and that helped the
steering some but with the rear axle moving around I don't want to go any further with the steering until
I get this addressed.

I feel the hole Jeep moving. Drove it again this morning. It feels more pronounced at the rear axle though.
img_0196.jpg   img_0253.jpg   img_0367.jpg  
Unread 04-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
LKCJ

1983 CJ7 

Sorry guys for side way photos. Still trying to figure this out.
I hope it doesn't brake your neck!

Lance
Unread 04-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

When you replaced the springs, did you flip the centering bolts to work with the SOA?

Sent from my iPod touch using JeepForum
Unread 04-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
LKCJ

1983 CJ7 

If i understand the question, no I did not. The reason that I didn't is because
I put the new springs back under the axle. I thought that by doing this it would
limit spring swaying and hopefully cure the rear axle movement. I had to cut the spring
perches off the top of the axle and weld them back on the bottom. The PO really did a poor
job SOA. Cut pretty deep into the axle when they removed them from the bottom side of the axle.
I had to fill those spots before welding the perches back on the bottom. Added some photos for the picture viewers
pleasure. Hope they help explain what has been done up to this point to try and correct the movement issue.

Lance
img_0232.jpg   img_0251.jpg   img_0263.jpg  
Unread 04-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #11
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

That clears it up. I was going off of the picture that shows it as SOA.

Sent from my iPod touch using JeepForum
Unread 04-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #12
LKCJ

1983 CJ7 

I thought it might. I'm sorry for not explaining things better. My wife tells me that I have a hard time explaining myself. I tell her it's a guy thing. It's a good excuse when I'm asking to buy more parts. How's the weather in PA. Warming up here with lots of pollen.

I am trying to address all major mechanical issues with the jeep before I start the restore. Hopefully I can start taking this thing apart this fall. I plan to go back to as close to original as possible.

I found a 304 with carb and bunch of misc. parts, couple of aftermarket fenders, from this guy I know that did a restore on an 82. He only wants 2 hundred for all of it. The motor ran when he took it out. It has been stored in warehouse for three years. The crank turns. What do guys think about the price? Buy it or not?

Lance
Unread 04-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #13
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

No problem. I have problems typing out what I want to say. I type so slow, that I loose my train of thought as I go.
It's finally starting to warm up here. I took my winter top off finally. (bikini top,full soft doors, and a wind jammer....and Gore-Tex).

I wish I could think of a solution to your problem, but I'm stumped. The only thing I can think of is have somebody push the rear of the Jeep side to side, while you climb under there and see if anything is moving.
I hear that a rear locker can feel like it's pulling to the side as you get on and off of the gas, but I don't have any first hand experience with one.

Axle bearing shot....jack the rear up and grab a tire and try to push/pull it in and out??????
Unread 04-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #14
LKCJ

1983 CJ7 

I understand. I'm stumped too! I have rebuilt the axle. New diff, bearings and seals.
I had trouble for a while with outer seals leaking. I finally put the axle in a machinel lathe,
cut them down and found that they where egg shaped. This was causing vibration in the rear end.
built the axle back up where the seal rides and cut it it .001 larger than the seal size. No more seal leaks
and no more vibrations. I have a video of it in the lathe somewhere and as it spins you can see where they
where egg shaped.

I will probably take the locker diff out and go back to the orginal spider gear assembly diff. Maybe this will fix the
problem.
img_0359.jpg   img_0361.jpg  
Unread 04-15-2013, 12:15 AM   #15
streetpro
Observing GIC

1978 CJ7 

Looks like you're using the OEM shackles. There's a lot of side slop in them, especially when they get egged out. That amount of wandering about combined with the locker kicking in could be a factor. Maybe some H style or other HD shackles would help.
streetpro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.