It probably goes without saying, but I'd do a test section in an area that won't be visible.
You can easily chase your tail trying to make it perfect. I finally had to compromise my standards a little, or I'd still be buffing.
Honestly, I don't understand the "there's always a little orange peel, you should expect to do a little wet-sanding" comments on your paint thread. I even talked to my local body shop owner about this. It's a big shop, and they do a lot of customs and classic restorations. He said that a good painter should never have to touch the surface with sand paper after the initial prep work is done. That seems consistent with my limited experience, as well.
Anyway, good luck, man. Don't drive yourself nuts with it, it's only paint. Like my Father used to say, " a bad haircut is only a month away from a good one."
...and also, many factory paint jobs come through with acceptable orange peel...
Very true, Rich. I can see a little on my factory Tundra finish. My wife's Infinity, on the other hand, is like glass.
My point was, if sprayed properly there shouldn't be any sanding, or buffing involved after the primer is laid. I managed to do this successfully on about 75% of my amateur garage spray job. The other 25% shows my inexperience, but is acceptable.
Every area that I tried to wet-sand/buff looked worse afterwards. That may be due to the single-stage paint I used. As I understand it, the "gloss" in a single stage moves to the surface as the paint dries. I found if I sanded thru that thin layer of gloss, and it didn't take much, the surface would never have the same glossiness, no matter how much buffing I did.
Agree with 243. Rarely with base coat/clear coat will there be orange peel in the base. Your paint job will color sand to an extremely smooth and glossy finish. It's not so easy with single stage paints. My advise is to stay away from edges. The paint is thinner there. It is really rare that a base coat/clear coat paint job needs no color sanding no mater how skilled the painter.
Well some good news from the home front. Wet sanded, cut, and buffed the grill today. With a light wet sand the orange peel came out in it pretty good. Got it great but not perfect with little effort. Very happy with it.
Also decided to add inch to my clutch rod to bring the pedal back up level with the break pedal. Got it cut and one side threaded then my cheap die holder broke .
Going to get all Sunday to work on it so hoping it does not rain!
Under A Sun Thats See It All Before...
I had to giggle when I saw the clutch linkage because on mine the PO welded a male air chuck to the long nut and was running it that way, I actually drove it quite a bit on that setup before I discovered it!
[I]"He used to be a pretty nice feller, now he's a welder"[/I]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1980-cj7-first-jeep-build-1243620/"]80 CJ7 "The Kraken" - a project 25 years in the making[/URL] AMC 304 V8, NV4500, Dana 300, Dana 44, 9 inch, M.O.R.E. SRS, YJ tub.
AT3 US Navy 1999-2003
[B][SIZE="3"] Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt[/SIZE][/B]
[SIZE="1"](When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults)[/SIZE]
I wish you'd get busy and quit screwing around! How long you gonna drag this out?
Just another week or so Scott.
Spent the morning working on my F150 and not the jeep. My blower fan went bad.
Did get a few jeep things done including finishing swapping out some gauges on the dash, finished up the clutch rod extension and got it painted, installed the coil and coil bracket, ground strap from the tub to frame, tightened up the ps pump belt, primed the engine again.
Hoping to get everything wet sanded and buffed tomorrow. Basically just waiting on the carb which should be here in a few days. I want to get the carb installed and all the plug wires, vac lines, and fuel lines hooked up before I install the fenders. Since I sit a little high it is easier and I will not have to lean all over the fenders.
Under A Sun Thats See It All Before...
Thats in the plans for paint stage #2. I painted the firewall, cowl, grill, hood, and fenders with the engine swap. The goal is to do the body work and paint the exterior of the tub & dash within the year.
Wet sanded & dried 4 times, then hit the hood with cutting compound and finish compound this am. Took a while but the hood came out perfect with no orange peel and did not burn through the clear anywhere.