MoC's Build Thread - Page 97 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > MoC's Build Thread

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 01-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #1441
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

MoC,

It probably goes without saying, but I'd do a test section in an area that won't be visible.

You can easily chase your tail trying to make it perfect. I finally had to compromise my standards a little, or I'd still be buffing.

Honestly, I don't understand the "there's always a little orange peel, you should expect to do a little wet-sanding" comments on your paint thread. I even talked to my local body shop owner about this. It's a big shop, and they do a lot of customs and classic restorations. He said that a good painter should never have to touch the surface with sand paper after the initial prep work is done. That seems consistent with my limited experience, as well.

Anyway, good luck, man. Don't drive yourself nuts with it, it's only paint. Like my Father used to say, " a bad haircut is only a month away from a good one."

Matt

Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #1442
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post

Honestly, I don't understand the "there's always a little orange peel, you should expect to do a little wet-sanding" comments on your paint thread.
Matt
It was meant for your average DIYers not those who are professionals who do it everyday..
CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #1443
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ROB View Post
It was meant for your average DIYers not those who are professionals who do it everyday..
...and also, many factory paint jobs come through with acceptable orange peel...

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #1444
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
...and also, many factory paint jobs come through with acceptable orange peel...

Rich
Very true, Rich. I can see a little on my factory Tundra finish. My wife's Infinity, on the other hand, is like glass.

My point was, if sprayed properly there shouldn't be any sanding, or buffing involved after the primer is laid. I managed to do this successfully on about 75% of my amateur garage spray job. The other 25% shows my inexperience, but is acceptable.

Every area that I tried to wet-sand/buff looked worse afterwards. That may be due to the single-stage paint I used. As I understand it, the "gloss" in a single stage moves to the surface as the paint dries. I found if I sanded thru that thin layer of gloss, and it didn't take much, the surface would never have the same glossiness, no matter how much buffing I did.

Hopefully MoC has better luck than I did.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #1445
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
I am prepared! Spent some time in Shermin Williams the other day talking to the auto guy and getting some advise.

Matt, you had my heart sink a little! Hope it's just in the clear and I did not think about the possibility of it in the base. We shall see!
Generally, base coat lays down very smooth and dries fast.

The orange peel is probably the clear.

You will need some sanding pads if you don't have them, the harder rubber compound for the flats and the softer rubber to sand the curves.
Unread 01-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #1446
Brewski
1986 CJ7 

Agree with 243. Rarely with base coat/clear coat will there be orange peel in the base. Your paint job will color sand to an extremely smooth and glossy finish. It's not so easy with single stage paints. My advise is to stay away from edges. The paint is thinner there. It is really rare that a base coat/clear coat paint job needs no color sanding no mater how skilled the painter.

Edit: unless you are content with some texture. Here is a brief run down on it. http://www.autopaintinginfo.com/cs.html
Brewski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #1447
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Well some good news from the home front. Wet sanded, cut, and buffed the grill today. With a light wet sand the orange peel came out in it pretty good. Got it great but not perfect with little effort. Very happy with it.

Also decided to add inch to my clutch rod to bring the pedal back up level with the break pedal. Got it cut and one side threaded then my cheap die holder broke .

Going to get all Sunday to work on it so hoping it does not rain!
image-832397091.jpg   image-2959328951.jpg   image-1537269517.jpg  
Unread 01-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #1448
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Went and bought myself a decent die set today and finished up on the clutch rod. Going to get it adjusted and painted tomorrow along with a few other things.

Spent a cold & raining morning at the Tyler, Tx zoo today with the family. Not the best day for a zoo trip but after 1.5 hours driving to get there we just couldn't turn back.

MoC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 11:33 PM   #1449
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

I had to giggle when I saw the clutch linkage because on mine the PO welded a male air chuck to the long nut and was running it that way, I actually drove it quite a bit on that setup before I discovered it!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1980-cj7-first-jeep-build-1243620/"]80 CJ7 "The Kraken" - a project 25 years in the making[/URL] AMC 304 V8, NV4500, Dana 300, Dana 44, 9 inch, M.O.R.E. SRS, YJ tub.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

[B][SIZE="3"] Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt[/SIZE][/B]
[SIZE="1"](When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults)[/SIZE]
MrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 08:36 AM   #1450
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I wish you'd get busy and quit screwing around! How long you gonna drag this out?

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #1451
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I wish you'd get busy and quit screwing around! How long you gonna drag this out?
Just another week or so Scott.

Spent the morning working on my F150 and not the jeep. My blower fan went bad.

Did get a few jeep things done including finishing swapping out some gauges on the dash, finished up the clutch rod extension and got it painted, installed the coil and coil bracket, ground strap from the tub to frame, tightened up the ps pump belt, primed the engine again.

Hoping to get everything wet sanded and buffed tomorrow. Basically just waiting on the carb which should be here in a few days. I want to get the carb installed and all the plug wires, vac lines, and fuel lines hooked up before I install the fenders. Since I sit a little high it is easier and I will not have to lean all over the fenders.

image-3068476059.jpg   image-2924085007.jpg  
Unread 01-28-2013, 05:48 AM   #1452
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

Your not going to paint the dash too?
CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #1453
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ROB View Post
Your not going to paint the dash too?
Thats in the plans for paint stage #2. I painted the firewall, cowl, grill, hood, and fenders with the engine swap. The goal is to do the body work and paint the exterior of the tub & dash within the year.
Unread 01-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #1454
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Wet sanded & dried 4 times, then hit the hood with cutting compound and finish compound this am. Took a while but the hood came out perfect with no orange peel and did not burn through the clear anywhere.

Super Happy

Before

After

Unread 01-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #1455
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Sweet!
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.