MoC's Build Thread - Page 95 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > MoC's Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 01-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #1411
MoC
1986 CJ7 

4 steps forward 1 step back... Why it this swap so f'ing cursed. Got the fenders tweaked so the flares rest flush and took it all back apart. Got the dipstick tube installed, other header installed, clutch linkage back in, and the steering shaft in.

Then...... While installing the carb the stupid base plate cracked.... Had all the studs in even and was running the bolts down. Had them all down even and was just snugging them up when I hear a light snap.. Cant win on this.... Ahh!!!

photo66.jpg   photo67.jpg  
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #1412
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Man...that sucks! Makes me wonder what happened...

Usually, if both mating surfaces are flat and smooth, that shouldn't happen. Could there have been a speck of something between the surfaces, creating a little high spot?

Unless, something happened during the carb rebuild...

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #1413
GlennLever
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
4 steps forward 1 step back... Why it this swap so f'ing cursed. Got the fenders tweaked so the flares rest flush and took it all back apart. Got the dipstick tube installed, other header installed, clutch linkage back in, and the steering shaft in.

Then...... While installing the carb the stupid base plate cracked.... Had all the studs in even and was running the bolts down. Had them all down even and was just snugging them up when I hear a light snap.. Cant win on this.... Ahh!!!
It's call "Hot Rodding", and is the "Fun" part of the build, correct?

I just spent two weeks dealing with DJ Safety to figure out my restraint system for the blower, wanted to spend $1100.00 with them for the bay and straps, would they ever call me back, no.

My restoration thread here on the Jeep forum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...build-1269301/

New FED, Drag Racing Forum (I am an Administrator) at
http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2013, 03:58 PM   #1414
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
Man...that sucks! Makes me wonder what happened...

Usually, if both mating surfaces are flat and smooth, that shouldn't happen. Could there have been a speck of something between the surfaces, creating a little high spot?

Unless, something happened during the carb rebuild...

Rich
Who knows Rich.. New gaskets and new plastic piece. Everything was flush as a can be. Once the bolts got finger tight I started to run them down a little each at a time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
It's call "Hot Rodding", and is the "Fun" part of the build, correct?

I just spent two weeks dealing with DJ Safety to figure out my restraint system for the blower, wanted to spend $1100.00 with them for the bay and straps, would they ever call me back, no.
Not the fun part Glenn. The fun part was over with the first problem I had. The other 3-4 are now just pains in the azz that are draining me...
Unread 01-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #1415
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Carb must have been stressed previously! Unless the plastic spacer is defective?? I'm saying this because I have pulled 4 of those carbs from the JY, in various stages of "decomposition", and I have never had that happen. But it doesn't make sense for National Carb to have caused that either. I would still give them a call and see what they say.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #1416
GlennLever
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
---> This is them Glenn <---

I sent them the carb and for $149.95 they cleaned, polished, rebuilt, cleared, and ran it on a test engine.

Form their site "We recalibrated the carburetors for today's gas and remove the inherent problems like hesitations, flat-spots and hard hot starting. Every carburetor goes through a 3 step testing process, first a float bench and pump test, second a dyno flow bench test, and then a live engine test. All the adjustments are set for a bolt on and go carburetor."

Comes with a warranty as well. Could have done the work myself, but for the price and how well they cleaned it up it was money well spent.
I wonder if they do Webers? I think I will call them.

Unread 01-13-2013, 09:03 AM   #1417
GlennLever
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Not the fun part Glenn. The fun part was over with the first problem I had. The other 3-4 are now just pains in the azz that are draining me...
I have to tell you I think I enjoy the build more than riding around.

Unread 01-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #1418
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
I enjoy the build, mostly, but I especially enjoy looking back at it. I could use a little of what you have.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #1419
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I enjoy the build, mostly, but I especially enjoy looking back at it. I could use a little of what you have.
I do usually enjoy the build and have enjoyed this to a point. Just ready to be done and riding around. I enjoy the riding much more.
Unread 01-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #1420
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Got a spare 2150 boxed up and sent off to be made pretty. Hood, grill, and fenders have been dropped off. Hoping this Craigslist paint guy does not mess that up.

It's 30 and slushing outside today. Took a old v8 dizzy and ground the cam gear off the end. Stuck a drill in the end and got the engine primed. Took a while but finally picked up. Was a little worried since I did not back the oil pump with Vaseline but worked out well.

Maybe a carb back in 7-9 days...
image-1067928979.jpg   image-3800913707.jpg  
Unread 01-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #1421
tractor1
old dog

1979 CJ5 

Did you call National Carbs on the base plate
1973 Cj5 304 T15 Dana20 Sold

tractor1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #1422
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor1 View Post
Did you call National Carbs on the base plate
I was wondering the same thing, tractor.

I believe all of their carbs are warranted, and since they also run test them, it's possible they'll cover it.

Worth asking....

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #1423
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Have not crossed that bridge yet. Ever since the delays I encountered with them early on I have been dealing directly with the owner since around New Years. I sent the rebuilt / broken one back along with another 2150 I had. They had 2150's cores in stock however none were linkage wise the same as the one I sent. The plan is to make the 2 in to one using the same jets that were in the one originally off the one that came with the engine.

I will add this. I did have some issues with them rebuilding the first carb as far as the time it took. The owner steeped in and made things right for me and next dayed it to me when done. He also spent 30 + minutes on the phone talking with me after the fact and invited me on a tour of their operation if I was ever in town. In my eyes they are a great company and have more than righted the the delays they had. I think what impressed me most was that the owner has been talking to me and dealing with me directly. They did 30 million in sales last year. My carb is peanuts in the scheme of their business however the owner still make time for me. That speaks volumes. I would recommended them to anyone. Bulltear on the other hand never once said Sorry or tried to right their wrongs..
Unread 01-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #1424
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

MoC,

It won't surprise me if National Carbs sends the second re-built carb to you for free.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #1425
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Have not crossed that bridge yet. Ever since the delays I encountered with them early on I have been dealing directly with the owner since around New Years. I sent the rebuilt / broken one back along with another 2150 I had. They had 2150's cores in stock however none were linkage wise the same as the one I sent. The plan is to make the 2 in to one using the same jets that were in the one originally off the one that came with the engine.

I will add this. I did have some issues with them rebuilding the first carb as far as the time it took. The owner steeped in and made things right for me and next dayed it to me when done. He also spent 30 + minutes on the phone talking with me after the fact and invited me on a tour of their operation if I was ever in town. In my eyes they are a great company and have more than righted the the delays they had. I think what impressed me most was that the owner has been talking to me and dealing with me directly. They did 30 million in sales last year. My carb is peanuts in the scheme of their business however the owner still make time for me. That speaks volumes. I would recommended them to anyone. Bulltear on the other hand never once said Sorry or tried to right their wrongs..
I am not buying a Bulltear serpentine drive now because of the issues you had with them. Not going to support a company that can't stand behind their product.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1980-cj7-first-jeep-build-1243620/"]80 CJ7 "The Kraken" - a project 25 years in the making[/URL] AMC 304 V8, NV4500, Dana 300, Dana 44, 9 inch, M.O.R.E. SRS, YJ tub.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

[B][SIZE="3"] Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt[/SIZE][/B]
[SIZE="1"](When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults)[/SIZE]
MrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.