MoC's Build Thread - Page 73 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > MoC's Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #1081
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

That's awesome MoC. The marble quarry is cool! So they just left the marble sitting where it was when they shut it down?

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #1082
arkiemurph
1985 CJ7 

You close to Estes Park? We really enjoyed the Stanley Hotel. Where they filmed Stephen King's "The Shining"!

Nice pics!

Murph
Unread 07-29-2012, 11:41 PM   #1083
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr
That's awesome MoC. The marble quarry is cool! So they just left the marble sitting where it was when they shut it down?
They actually still mine out the quary on a small scale, started back with 10-15 workers a little while ago. The old mill site was mostly torn down in 1943. I guess the smaller pieces were not worth anything to them and they were everywhere. Wish I had more pictures of the old mill site. My dad and I left jenn, my mom, and the kids and went exploring for 40 min and jenn had the camera.

Did some more reading and found out the marble from the tomb of the unknown, Lincoln memorial and many other places all got their marble from here. Found a list online that had every building built with marble from their and turns out there is even a building back home in Shreveport built from it.
Unread 07-29-2012, 11:42 PM   #1084
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkiemurph
You close to Estes Park? We really enjoyed the Stanley Hotel. Where they filmed Stephen King's "The Shining"!

Nice pics!

Murph
Had to mapquest it and it is about 6 hours away by Denver.
Unread 07-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #1085
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Some pic's from today of driving in, a quick hike, the condo, and around town.

Is this in Aspen? If so then just to your right is Wagner Park, home of the Gentlemen of Aspen Rugby Club. I spent a summer there during college playing for the Gents and working construction. Best summer of my life.
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #1086
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Yes sir that is Wagner Park, good eye!
Unread 07-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #1087
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Looks like you guys are having a great time MoC! What altitude is Aspen and can you feel it? Being a sea-level guy going to CO has always kicked my butt. At 10-12K I am useless. I can feel it the second I step off a plane in Denver and thats only 5K.
Unread 07-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #1088
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7
Looks like you guys are having a great time MoC! What altitude is Aspen and can you feel it? Being a sea-level guy going to CO has always kicked my butt. At 10-12K I am useless. I can feel it the second I step off a plane in Denver and thats only 5K.
Maybe it's the sudden change in altitude, I'm only at 650' ASL, and smoke too. It's only at 12k plus I notice a change.

I did drive there ( 5 times) so its a gradual change.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #1089
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Aspen is around 7908. The top of Independence Pass it around 13000 IIRC. No issues on my part from the elevation.
Unread 07-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #1090
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Picked up 2 JK's this morning.

Both were 2012's with 1500ish miles. I have to say I was impressed with their off road ability but was disappointed with them in town and on the highway. Pickup was lacking. They just seemed like cars and not jeeps. So much plastic and electronics. I would never buy one, just not practical for us. Rear seats were a pain to access to buckle kiddos up, cant imagine ever driving one on a road trip, could not use one for my job need a pickup.

Make two different rides. Started off at Lincoln creek and road about 10 miles in.

Glad I brought my tow rope and come alone with us from home. Came across a lady who decided she could go no further, tried to turn around on the trail, and stuck it. We picked her up about 3 miles away from where she got stuck. Was by herself in a Honda Element.

After Lincoln we headed up Ajax / Aspen mountain. Went up around 4000 feet in 3.5 miles. It was pretty steep all the way up.

Acting silly on the Just Joking

Hiking tomorrow. Heading to the grotto's / ice caves.

Nite all

Unread 07-31-2012, 03:49 AM   #1091
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

MoC I thought you were kidding but the Wall Mart genes really show up in the last picture
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2012, 06:27 AM   #1092
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

MoC,

Thanks for picking our state to spend your vacation money.

The summer fires have devastated our tourism industry this year. Even though the total acreage burned was a pimple on the state's a$$, whenever our fires hit the national news, tourism takes a beating.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2012, 06:52 AM   #1093
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Looks like a great time, unless your in a Honda. And your wife drove herself, that's cool. So does she want you to build her a Jeep? Kind of a cross between a DD and trail Jeep. I'll bet the kids had a great time, I can see you did!

Great pictures, thanks MoC.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2012, 07:23 AM   #1094
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
MoC,

Thanks for picking our state to spend your vacation money.

The summer fires have devastated our tourism industry this year. Even though the total acreage burned was a pimple on the state's a$$, whenever our fires hit the national news, tourism takes a beating.

Matt
Matt I have always loved it here. Hoping one day to move to a smallish to small mountain town like Carbondale or Leadville.
Unread 07-31-2012, 08:36 AM   #1095
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
MoC I thought you were kidding but the Wall Mart genes really show up in the last picture
Not Wal Mart genes George. I asked a friend of mine one time, and he knows everything, and he says those hand signals like that mean "I love you" in Polinesian. Mocs just got multicultural in his genes and probably don't even know it. That makes him even more refied than we thought!

Glad to hear you're not jumpin ship on us Moc and getting a JK. Looks like you all are enjoying the vacation and I'm sure enjoying the pictures. Thanks!!

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.