MoC's Build Thread - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > MoC's Build Thread

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 01-30-2011, 10:02 PM   #91
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Well today was a family day but did manage to knock out a few small things. Pulled everything out of the parts washer / bucket filled with gas. Cleaned off the bottom cover and bolts. Cleaned the gasket surfaces and installed the bottom cover gasket with some rtv. Also cleaned up the other small parts. Going to wait a few days for the rtv to completely cure then its paint time for the tcase.

MoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2011, 10:32 AM   #92
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

MoC, nice job.

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #93
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Nothing but cold and real work going on the last week. Ordered the last of my parts today.
  • flywheel
  • clutch kit
  • 4 new lifetime warranty ujoints
  • flywheel bolts
  • 2 Dana 20 yokes to replace a worn 300 yoke and so that I can use ubolts instead of straps
  • inner clutch spring
  • 2 tcase shaft bushings
So this weekend high of 55 and 65 with sun so I am going to finish cleaning and painting and next it should all go back up!

Unread 02-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #94
ChaseB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Nothing but cold and real work going on the last week. Ordered the last of my parts today.
  • flywheel
  • clutch kit
  • 4 new lifetime warranty ujoints
  • flywheel bolts
  • 2 Dana 20 yokes to replace a worn 300 yoke and so that I can use ubolts instead of straps
  • inner clutch spring
  • 2 tcase shaft bushings
So this weekend high of 55 and 65 with sun so I am going to finish cleaning and painting and next it should all go back up!

Nice! hope those highs make it down to Lafayette as well!
Unread 02-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #95
1983 CJ7 

You must own stock in DeeeWalt
Unread 02-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #96
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243
You must own stock in DeeeWalt
Dave it took me 2 hours to figure that out, lol

Here's the full picture. Also have a dewalt table saw and compound miter.
image-1018760255.jpg  
Unread 02-09-2011, 10:28 PM   #97
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

^^^ I wish you were my neighbor. "Hi neighbor, can I barrow a...."
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #98
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Well another day and some more progress.

Started off wire wheeling and cleaning the skid plate / cross member.

One little concern I have it how wallowed out some of the bolt areas are. This the worst one, but I figure a few bigger washers should do the trick.

Followed that up with some tcase painting. Got it primed and painted aluminum.

My plans are tomorrow to tape off the front and rear "horns" as well as the large inspection cover and painting the rest black.

Cleaned my nasty bell house.

Two coats of primer and 4 coats of paint on the bell house and skid plate / cross member.

After that washed the rest of my small parts including bolts, clutch fork, spacer and inspection plate, tranny mount, tcase shifter, and the other little tcase shifter linkage parts.

I then turned my attention to drive shafts. When taking everything down I found my front was bent. LSUtiger had this extra front drive shaft that has had a 3 inch spacer welded in.

Started by pulling the ujoints out. Just to document how to do it for those who dont the easy way is with snap ring or needle nose pliers, 2 sockets and a mall. One socket should be larger that the ubolt cap and the other smaller. Start by removing the snap ring from each side. The place the smaller socket above the ujoint cap and the larger below.

Tap the top socket until the bottom cap has pushed out. Sometimes you can just pull the cap out with your fingers but on this rusty old one I have to use vice grips to twist them out.

After you get one side done flip it over and do the same thing. After both caps are off the ujoint should slid out. Once the joints were out I went about grinding on the welds from where the 3 inches was added to make it look a little better.

After that I repeated the same steps on the rear drive shaft.

So now over the next week all I need to do is a little painting each day and I should be ready for putting it back up next weekend.

Unread 02-13-2011, 03:13 AM   #99
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
, ...but I figure a few bigger washers should do the trick.
Said that more than a few times on my build.

Parts cleaned up nice and paint looks great.

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 04:29 AM   #100
1983 CJ7 

You are making a lot progress. Are you planning on narrowing the Waggie grill for the CJ???
Unread 02-13-2011, 06:57 AM   #101
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Everything is looking great and I'm looking forward to seeing it all go back together.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 09:04 AM   #102
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Love the u joints... They look, well, dry... Mine just fell off when I took them off the yokes for the t-case because they were so dry... Definitely a good argument for greasable joints!!!

Good progress, keep it up!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #103
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglekeeper View Post
Said that more than a few times on my build.

Parts cleaned up nice and paint looks great.
After I started to paint I thought about welding a washer in there but decided it was to late. I'll just bolt a larger on in and it it ever becomes a problem address it at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
You are making a lot progress. Are you planning on narrowing the Waggie grill for the CJ???
Dont think so Dave, will stick with my plans of hanging it on the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Everything is looking great and I'm looking forward to seeing it all go back together.

Thanks Jim, just wished the top matched the bottom! Once this is all back I plan on driving and wheeling here for a while and just doing little weekend projects. Guess my next big to do will either by a 360 swap or body work and paint.
Unread 02-13-2011, 09:18 AM   #104
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
^^^ I wish you were my neighbor. "Hi neighbor, can I barrow a...."
Coiz I also will you were my neighbor. After you hit me up for a tool or to I would hit you up to do a frame up for me!
Unread 02-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #105
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

So a little more painting and such today. Decided I am sol on my front drive shafts. One is bent and the other has way to much play on the yoke end. So once I get everything together I guess I will see how much and if a shop can fix them or order a new one. Figue I will wait so I can make sure I know what lenght I need with my lift. Also found that my clutch fork is done as well and needs replacement. The little x that you can see in the picture below is all the way through and you can see light it you hold it up towards the sky. Their cheap just more parts.

Got my rear drive shaft as well as most of my small parts and bolts primed and painted.

My tranny and bellhouse posing for a picture.

Lastly finished painting my tcase. I am very happy with the way it turned out.

Still maybe a small hand full of small parts to paint which I hope to have done here and there through the course of the week. Picked up my fly wheel, clutch kit, and ujoints from advanced today. As long as I can order a clutch fork and my d300 yokes, clutch spring, tcase handle bushings, and flywheel bolts from 4wd all come in this week I should be putting it all back up next weekend.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.