MoC's Build Thread - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > MoC's Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 01-26-2011, 10:41 AM   #76
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

MoC, seems I remember my 300 had the same play after my rebuild. If you don't get any solid answers, mine's still out and I'll check it when I get home this afternoon.

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #77
RjTack
1985 CJ7 

Took everything apart and stuck it in my high tech parts washer.

I have the exact model parts washer....works great!
RjTack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2011, 12:59 PM   #78
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglekeeper View Post
MoC, seems I remember my 300 had the same play after my rebuild. If you don't get any solid answers, mine's still out and I'll check it when I get home this afternoon.
Thanks Eaglekeeper, I am sure its fine just double checking for peace of mind. Let me know what you find out.
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #79
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

Moc. Checked my 300 and I have the same play.

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #80
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglekeeper View Post
Moc. Checked my 300 and I have the same play.
Thanks you sir!!
Unread 01-26-2011, 11:08 PM   #81
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Looks good MoC. I have a slight amount of yoke play in my fresh built T18, so I would say it is normal.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2011, 11:37 PM   #82
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Looks good MoC. I have a slight amount of yoke play in my fresh built T18, so I would say it is normal.
Thank you Mr. Kerr!!

Unread 01-29-2011, 10:53 PM   #83
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Well some more progress was made today! We were sunny and got up to 74, a good change from the rain and cold we have had for the last month or so.

Last night I primed the tranny and the tranny shifter. Got two coats of aluminum on the tranny today and two coats of black on the shifter. Tranny came out nice!

Next set off to finish the last of the under the jeep painting. Already had 2 coats of primer, 1.5 coats of rubberized under coating, and one coat of gloss black on the frame, bottom of the tub, and wheel wells. Put the finial coat of gloss black one everything and also went ahead and out 2 coats on my bumpers, axles, and nerf bars.

After that I did a little cutting on my cross member. I cut two places out a little. The first area I cut was where the front drive shaft passes over the edge of the cross member. After my lift and camber adjustment there was almost no room between the two and it made me a little nervous that they might be able to touch so I clearanced it out. Also cut a square out of the area that originally had the two holes under the tcase. The two times I have drained my tcase the oil mostly fell on the skid and dripped down ever where so the idea of the square hole is to allow all the tcase gear oil to flow out and not make a mess.

Next started my tcase debacle. I bought a oil seal and gasket kit and set out with reckless abandon to change it all. What I did not realize was that in order to change the paper gaskets I pretty much had to break down the whole tcase. If I would have known that starting out I think I would have just done the oil seals. Whats that about hind sight???

So started out by pulling the bottom cover off.

Next I pulled the speedo gear and found the my 7 month old gear was toasted. Just I did not seat it in correctly, funny thing is that it has worked this whole time like this.

Next pulled the yokes off.

Unread 01-29-2011, 10:54 PM   #84
MoC
1986 CJ7 

I then pulled the input shaft support housing out the back.

Then I removed the bolts out of the front and rear bearing cap. It was around this point that I realized that they were not coming out without pretty much breaking it down. I pulled the intermediate gear shaft next.

After that pulled the intermediate gear, needle bearings, bearing spacers, and thrust washers. At this point I decided to put on the brakes and stop. My plan originally was not to rebuilt since everything was in good shape just seals and gaskets. All the bearings looked good.

The thrust washers looked good to.

Plus I only had the seal and gasket kit and not the rebuilt kit so I decided to put it all back together without using the paper gaskets and just using some sealant.

Cleaned up the input shaft support housing, removed the old oil seal, installed the new one, put on some goop, and sealed it back up.

Next on to the rear bearing cap. Pulled it as far off of the tcase as it would come. Cleaned the surfaces really good and wiped down with brake cleaner. Applied the goop, tightened it down, removed the old oil seal, and installed the new one.

Next on to the front bearing cap, same as the rear. Pulled it as far off of the tcase as it would come. Cleaned the surfaces really good and wiped down with brake cleaner. Applied the goop, tightened it down, removed the old oil seal, and installed the new one.

After all that reinstalled the needle bearings and spacers in the intermediate gear.

Put the thrust washers in the case, dropped in the intermediate gear, and installed the intermediate gear shaft.

The tcase was a lot of work that I put my self through, only if I have done a little reading and discovered no way to change the paper seals without taking do much apart....

So after my goop dries I am going to spray out the inside of the tcase really good and install the bottom cover and gasket and shifter oil seal. After that the tcase its off to paint and the final reassembly.
Unread 01-30-2011, 08:56 AM   #85
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

MoC- Didn't you mention that this is the first time you have ever been into trannies, etc?? Because, Dude, you are looking good! We are heading south to get a windshield for Clay's rig. The guy has a couple T18/D20 combos he is selling. I was thinking about picking one up as a backup for Clay's Jeep, since that is what he has. Would there be any benefit over my T-176/D300? I'm thinking "no"

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 09:15 AM   #86
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
MoC- Didn't you mention that this is the first time you have ever been into trannies, etc?? Because, Dude, you are looking good! We are heading south to get a windshield for Clay's rig. The guy has a couple T18/D20 combos he is selling. I was thinking about picking one up as a backup for Clay's Jeep, since that is what he has. Would there be any benefit over my T-176/D300? I'm thinking "no"
Thanks Scott! These last two months have been my first adventures in trannies and tcases and before the peanut gallery pipes in I mean metal trannies not the walking type. Have and will always stay far for those!

The T18 is a stronger tranny than the T176. Since the T18 has a non syncroed first gear it is really like having a 3 speed. They both have the same 1:1 forth gear ratios. I personally do not have a need for a non syncroed granny low. I like my "car like" shifting of my t176 over the "truck like" shifting of the T18.

I also have nothing against the d20 other that the fact that speedo gears are hard to come by for it. Just learned that one by reading here. It you want a back up tcase I would just find a d300. Your t176 will take a $400 plus adapter to connect you t176 to it.

Have a fun parts drive!!
Unread 01-30-2011, 09:27 AM   #87
1983 CJ7 

Good job, thanks for documenting the work too

Where is your Waggie build thread
Unread 01-30-2011, 10:11 AM   #88
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Good job, thanks for documenting the work too

Where is your Waggie build thread

The "jeep art" is on hold for a bit. I plan on getting the CJ up and running in about a 1 and a half weeks time allowing. After that I will get back to hanging the waggy front clip on the wall.
Unread 01-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #89
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Man, all this tranny/TC tear down stuff reminds that I have a leaky seal on my D20… CRAP!!! I don't want to tear that apart!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #90
Nereussailor
1984 CJ7 

The D20 is an easy rebuild, and simple to replace the gaskets. Great job on the photos! I remember it like it was yesterday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.