MoC's Build Thread - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > MoC's Build Thread

Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-01-2011, 05:58 AM   #61
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

With new bearings and cleaned, well lubed shafts, the bearings will probably pull off easily.

Your stuck rings are the classic problem during rebuild, but may be too tight to break free once the cap is on. One thing to try is start with the cap bolts loosely installed and pry the rings. Tighten the bolts a turn or two and pry the rings. Repeat until the bolts are tightened down and see how things operate. You may have some tight fitting rings and keeping them from getting too tight may fix the problem. It's a long shot, but worth a try.

Good luck.

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2011, 07:52 AM   #62
1983 CJ7 

Happy New Year!

I had the same issue and panicked at first, the main cluster was locked up but after *gently* prying the rings apart it worked fine.
Unread 01-01-2011, 04:58 PM   #63
MoC
1986 CJ7 

** VICTORY **

Well today I was victorious. It turned out that the rear bearing was not completely set and it was causing it to bind. Put the shifter to on and she shifts fine through all four gears and reverse. Only things left to do not clean up the top, install oil seals, and gaskets. After that several coats of grey paint and I will be 100% done and moving on to accessing the t-case. I plan on at least cleaning, doing all the seals, and painting it.
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #64
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

congratulations!!!
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #65
1983 CJ7 

Great job
Unread 01-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #66
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Oh yeah forgot to mention. You know who yall have said if you did it again you could do it in 1/3 of the time? Well this afternoon went over to LSUTigers house and rebuilt his t176 in 3 hours start to finish. Shifts fine. Only little problem was that since we were working fast I forgot to install the first gear washer between the main shaft and bearing. So we just have to pull the rear bearing, slide the washer in and reinstall the bearing.
Unread 01-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #67
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

Excellent.

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #68
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Way to go MoC! Good way to start the new year.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #69
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Thanks guys I could not have done it without help from yall.
Unread 01-05-2011, 01:00 AM   #70
TonyRay
1983 CJ7 

Glad to hear you got it done! I've been reading your rebuild as you know and was digging this up to see if you got it fixed. Gives me some confidence in finishing mine. Good job MoC!
TonyRay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #71
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Well have really not made a ounce of progress on my built the last couple of weeks. It has been cold or cold and raining just about every day. On the days that were somewhat ok I have spent my time helping LSUtiger get his 401 installed in his 5. Proud to say we finally got the 401 buttoned up, started and drove it around the block in the rain yesterday afternoon for the first time.

So getting ready to button up the tranny and move on to the tcase. Just want to double check the orientation of the oil seals first. The spare tranny I have still has the oil seals in it but still just want to double check that they are in correctly.

Front bearing retainer (cone) oil seal goes in as pictured correct? The rubber & spring face the tranny.

The adapter oil seal goes in as pictured correct? The rubber and spring & spring face the tranny.

After test fitting the broken adapter off the old tranny that still has the oil seal I could not figure out why there was even a oil seal there in the first place. It just did not seem to seal anything.

Then after the caffeine kicked in it came to me. The seal actually sits on the tcase.

Unread 01-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #72
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Have not worked on this in a few weeks. Have been helping LSUtiger with his 401 install. Well made some more progress today, nothing exciting but will post up some pictures.

Pulled the old oil seals out and installed the new ones.

I used a socket to get the cone oil seal in and found that a propane bottle works well for the adapter seal.

Next installed the cone and adapter gaskets with some RTV and tightened everything down.

Next I moved on the the shifter top rebuilt. My original forks were really worn.

The forks in the spare shifter top were in good shape but the top had cracked and been welded so I decided just to switch the forks over to my original top.

Took everything apart and stuck it in my high tech parts washer.

Installed the rocker arm reverse switch

Installed poppet springs.

Installed poppet balls.

Layed forks in place.

Then installed the 2 bars that hold it all together. Then bent the edges of the washers up and againts the bolts.

After that put the top on finger tight.

Once I get the tranny installed I will fill it with the top off then install the gasket and seal it up.

So its off to the tcase next. Going to clean it all up on the outside and open her up for inspection. Hoping just to do the seals if all looks well inside and there is not a lot of play from wear.
Unread 01-25-2011, 05:10 AM   #73
1983 CJ7 

Looking good
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #74
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Cleaned up the grease covered D300 today and opened her up. All gears inside look good, the bearings did not have any noticeable play.

One quick question. I noticed there is a little play in the yokes, not in the bearings, but when you hold one yoke and twist the other yoke there is a little play there. Take a look at the video.

Normal correct? Just double checking.

Also will cleaning the inside out with gas to help remove any sludge cause any harm if i drain it good when done?
Unread 01-26-2011, 08:10 AM   #75
LSUtiger
1980 CJ5 

I've never rebuilt a dana 300 but I think that looks ok.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.