MoC's Build Thread - Page 33 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > MoC's Build Thread

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 07-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #481
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Power Steering Pully / Bracket Removal

Pulled my power steering pulley off today so I decided to do a little write up on it for those who need to in the future but don't know how.

If you ever have to replace you power steering pump you will need to pull the pulley off to get the front portion of the bracket off the old pump. Then press it back on the new pump.

I have a power steering pump pulley puller / installer I bought from Auto Zone. EDIT: Say on today at Habor Freight for $15. Cases are cool! They also do it as a loaner tool at advanced.

It does not really come with any instructions that are worth a darn but this is how I do it.

The red arrow points to the front bracket that will not come off without removing the pulley.

I found that using a small stud with the kit makes it work for our applications. Prior to installing the puller drop a small stud in the home on the face of the pulley. The kit does not come with a stud but I use a old carb mounting stud.

Next install the puller on the pulley with the stud still in the hole.

I use a box end wrench on the puller jam nut and a socket on the end of the puller. A impact works really well for this but as luck would have it my small compressor air valve crapped out on me while starting to do this today.

Use the box end wrench to leverage against to keep the pulley from spinning and tighten the puller.

And just like magic it comes off! Here is my pile that will be going to the powder coater.

I took two apart this afternoon on 10 minutes.

I helps to hit the pulley with PB blaster a few times as well.

The tool will also press the pulley back on the box. Will cover that in the future.

Happy pulling!

Unread 07-16-2011, 02:45 PM   #482
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Alternator Disassembly

The alternator is on the list to go to the powder coater on Monday so I had to figure out a few things today. The waggy came with a extra alternator.

My original plan was to take the working one to a guy to rebuild it. He was going to pull it apart and let me take the case to powder coating. He then was going to put it back together as well for around the same price of buying a re manned one. The only catch is it only has a 1 year warranty.

So changed up the plans a little and here is what I decided to do. Going to buy a re maned one from Advanced for $45 after core. Disassembly the new one my self. Sent it to powder coating and re assembly me self. That way it will always have a life time warranty and if it ever fails I will have the extra one to bring back as a core and the switch the cases around on the new one.

Watched a quick youtube video on taking the Delco Remy 10SI apart and got at it. Was easier than I expected and went back together just as easy.

Pulled the fan and the pulley of first. After that removed the 4 rear bolts out of the alternator. From that point the top has to come off first. Tap on the "ring" in the middle of the alternator and work the top off. Be sure the "ring", which is the stator, stays with the bottom piece.

Once the top is off the rotor just lifts up and out.

From there undo the nuts off the diode tri so that you can remove the stator.

From there its just six bolts and the diode tri, the regulator, and the capacitor all come out.

Last thing from here is to remove the front and rear bearings. The front bearing has a plate and four bolts over it that must come off. After removing the plate I took them out like you do a u joint. Put a socket on the bottom that is bigger than the bearing and put a socket on the top that is smaller. Then tap them with a 5 pound mall to take them out. I also reinstalled them to just find a good way to do it. Used a 3 inch diameter washer on top and tapped it in smoothly.

After that you have a pile of parts ready to go to powder coating.

Put it back together next. There is a trick when you but these back together to hold the brushes in place while installing the stator and I will go over that when I do it for real. Remember this was just a test run for the new one I am getting from Advanced.

Here is a good break down of the 10SI.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! Getting ready to go swimming with the kiddos.!!
Unread 07-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #483
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Cool Beans, MoC! That's a nice little write-up. Good to know.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2011, 08:41 PM   #484
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Cool Beans, MoC! That's a nice little write-up. Good to know.
Yeah Scott it was fun to learn. Not bad at all.
Unread 07-17-2011, 07:55 AM   #485
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Well had to order my headers today so that I could get them before they are all gone. Powder coating might have to wait a few weeks now...

On the good side one set of Edelbrock Shorty Ceramic Coated headers are heading this way.
Unread 07-17-2011, 08:10 AM   #486
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Well had to order my headers today so that I could get them before they are all gone. Powder coating might have to wait a few weeks now...

On the good side one set of Edelbrock Shorty Ceramic Coated headers are heading this way.
Yeah, I do the same thing...

"Baby- I HAVE to have them. It's a matter of life and death..."

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 07-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #487
SgtJensen
1982 CJ7 

Just remember, when the brown Santa shows up with those headers, you had better be quick to install them, better that way so when she lights the Jeep on fire, at least you can say you had them on there before they were destroyed!

The CJ Express
Don't argue with an idiot, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience...

"100 BUX" Build Thread
SgtJensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 02:35 PM   #488
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Some much needed rain in Shreveport.
image-57513396.jpg  
Unread 07-17-2011, 04:37 PM   #489
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Picked up my new alternator today. Then proceeded to take it apart to throw in the powder coating box.

Thinking about doing all front front end brackets (including the power steering pump bracket), pulleys, balancer, alternator and power steering pump black. Then doing the carb in something shiny.

What yall think of that idea??
100_6462.jpg   100_6476.jpg  
Unread 07-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #490
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I distinctly remember reading that you had to WAIT on powder coating!!?? Hmmm? Not much! I like your style. Why wait until wifey has cooled down. Hammer her all at once and get the bad stuff out of the way right now!!

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 07-17-2011, 06:08 PM   #491
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Picked up my new alternator today. Then proceeded to take it apart to throw in the powder coating box.

Thinking about doing all front front end brackets (including the power steering pump bracket), pulleys, balancer, alternator and power steering pump black. Then doing the carb in something shiny.

What yall think of that idea??
I have a black alternator on my current motor, and in retrospect, I wish that I did not. I will be painting the new alternator going in the new motor either clearcoat, or I will use Eastwood's Aluma Blast spray paint, followed by a clearcoat.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 06:23 PM   #492
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Hey Rich, would have some close up pictures of it with the rest front end accessories so I can see what it looks like.
Unread 07-17-2011, 06:25 PM   #493
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Waiting a little Scott, just collecting everything that goes to powder coating together.
Unread 07-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #494
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

You need to get yourself an oven for your shop!! I just picked up one free off CL and bought Eastwoods powder coating gun. Have not tried it yet... soon.... Wife asked me one day if I was slowly making an apartment out of the garage.
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #495
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Paul I have a oven in storage at a rental unit we own. The powder coated I found is cheap. Also I dont have a blast cabinet to clean the parts up good. It is cheaper for me to pay my guy to powder coat everything than it would be for me to get the Eastwood setup, oven wired, and everything cleaned and coated.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.