MoC's Build Thread - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > MoC's Build Thread

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 12-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #31
abernut
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
I have a spare 176 with a broken shaft to use as a referance. So how long did it take you do to the actual rebuilt portion. Not cleaning painting etc. just the rebuilt.
You didn't happen to get your spare off ebay did you.
I sold one to a guy in LA.

abernut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2010, 10:24 AM   #32
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abernut View Post
You didn't happen to get your spare off ebay did you.
I sold one to a guy in LA.
No sir the spare belongs to LSUTiger, he broke the tail shaft on it about 6 months ago. He is using a spare that came with his jeep that was in his shed.
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2010, 10:58 AM   #33
abernut
1985 CJ7 

I wanted to keep the T176 I sold as a spare but I currently dont have the room in the garage for it.
And I just had mine rebuilt.

In the process of replacing my 258 with a 360 to attach it to.
abernut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #34
LSUtiger
1980 CJ5 

I did get the spare of of ebay about 4 years ago. I'm not sure where it came from. I think I paid like $200 with the bellhouse but told the seller to keep the bellhouse and chage less for shipping.
Unread 12-28-2010, 05:53 PM   #35
1983 CJ7 

Flip the thrust washer in this photo 180 degrees so the tab fits in the upper slot in the case. The other side should fit in a similar fashion. I am checking my dis-assembly photos to see if I have a shot of the idler before or during removal.

Unread 12-28-2010, 05:55 PM   #36
1983 CJ7 

My reverse gear was chewed up about the same amount so I re-used it.

Unread 12-28-2010, 06:00 PM   #37
1983 CJ7 

I don't remember what I did as far as the alignment marks on the 3-4 synchro.

I don't have a hub that looks anything like the hub pictures above. I don't think I would have installed it if it was not identical to the hub on the mainshaft.

Hope this helps, it has been almost two years since I tore mine apart
Unread 12-28-2010, 06:02 PM   #38
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Flip the thrust washer in this photo 180 degrees so the tab fits in the upper slot in the case. The other side should fit in a similar fashion. I am checking my dis-assembly photos to see if I have a shot of the idler before or during removal.

Thats what I ended up having to do but the instructions say "Note that the thrust washers have flats on them. Be sure to install the washers so these flats will face the mainshaft" If I understand the instructions correctly that means that both of the flat spots on both thrust washers have to face towards the main shaft. Both of the thrust washers are the exact same on the rebuilt kit and the orignal ones. If I flip the pictured thrust washer so that the locating tab fits in the upper slot in the case the flat side know longer faces the main shaft.
Unread 12-28-2010, 06:16 PM   #39
JKM3134
1983 CJ7 

i've never rebuilt this trans but i've done a few manuals.

as far as the alignment marks go i usually mark the synchros with whiteout or sharpie and try to line them back up on reassembly.

if you cant find the marks i wouldn't worry about it. if the gears are in good shape it should still shift fine. you can assemble the synchro and shift it back and forth manually just to be sure.

looks good so far.
JKM3134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #40
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Looked through you build pictures again 243 and you front hub looks like the spare I have and eaglekeepers. Guess I am going to just rebuilt with the hub from the spare to make things easier. I did find a was to narrow the realign point on my hub down to only 3 possibalities. On the inside of the hub I can still see marks from where the 3 old 3rd 4th gear shift plates were installed.
Unread 12-28-2010, 06:43 PM   #41
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post

Here is a picture from Eaglekeeper's rebuilt. The pictured thrust washer is the same on that I have a picture of but you can see his tab is installed on the bottom where mine will not fit. I can see if it actually fits in the opening or if it is raised a 1/16 inch from not fitting.
dscf0400.jpg  
Unread 12-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #42
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

MoC, the tab on my thrust washer fit into the lower slot perfectly. If used the upper slot, there was some play back and forth. I reused my original washers and don't remember if there was any difference in the plastic ones I got in my rebuild kit. The only thing I did reference on the plastic ones were to make sure my bronze washers weren't wore down and they mic'd out identical thickness. I looked at the FSM again and it's not very specific. In all the research I did leading up to my rebuild, I don't remember anyone having this problem.

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2010, 07:18 PM   #43
Nereussailor
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
why do people paint their tranny and transfer, the paint serve no purpose but waste of money.
I went mudding once, and you can't even tell I painted it.
Unread 12-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #44
Nereussailor
1984 CJ7 

If your T176 is like my T150, there should be a couple of sets of thrust washers. Mine were the same except the flat sides were opposite. Check your other set, or flip them from one side of the gear to the other.
Unread 12-28-2010, 08:09 PM   #45
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereussailor View Post
If your T176 is like my T150, there should be a couple of sets of thrust washers. Mine were the same except the flat sides were opposite. Check your other set, or flip them from one side of the gear to the other.

The t176 has 2 sets of thrust washers. The set for the counter shaft gear are round on the outside and the set for the idler gear have a corner cut off. There are 2 in a set and each on in the set is identical to the other one in the set.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.