MoC's Build Thread - Page 26 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > MoC's Build Thread

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 06-26-2011, 05:35 PM   #376
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Spent the morning and mid day cleaning the block, heads, and intake. Then put on two coats of primer.

Tonight planning on ordering AMC Blue Rattle Cans, valve cover gaskets, oil pan gaskets, timing cover gasket kit, choke stove gasket.

Going to let primer cure for 2 days, spray the intake aluminum wed, then next weekend spray the heads and block AMC blue. Also next weekend planing on cleaning up valve covers, oil pan, timing chain cover and starting to paint them

Hope everyone had a great weekend!! Happy with getting the engine pulled, broke down, cleaned, and primer. Feel like I was productive in the jeep department.

Unread 06-26-2011, 07:31 PM   #377
1983 CJ7 

It looks like a brand new motor

BTW, the pepper garden sucks this year
Unread 06-26-2011, 08:04 PM   #378
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Looking good! Looking forward to the rest. Did you decide about what color to paint the engine bay?
Unread 06-26-2011, 08:45 PM   #379
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
It looks like a brand new motor

BTW, the pepper garden sucks this year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle71 View Post
Looking good! Looking forward to the rest. Did you decide about what color to paint the engine bay?
Thanks guys, cant wait to see it with the AMC blue and aluminum.

Have not Turtle...Going to be either my original color red garnet or black.
Unread 06-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #380
Shade00
1980 CJ5 

Looks great! I can't believe no one wanted the Wagoneer. If I have the chutzpah and a place to work I'd try to build it. It looks like it has a good steering on it - is it a tilt column? That's worth a few bucks by itself.
Shade00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2011, 09:14 PM   #381
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Spent the morning and mid day cleaning the block, heads, and intake..
What was your specific procedure for cleaning those things? What chemicals and tools did you use?
Unread 06-26-2011, 09:38 PM   #382
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade00 View Post
Looks great! I can't believe no one wanted the Wagoneer. If I have the chutzpah and a place to work I'd try to build it. It looks like it has a good steering on it - is it a tilt column? That's worth a few bucks by itself.
Yup auto tilt column, probably going to pull it once I unload it off the trailer at the scrap yard. I have to keep the tires and rims to, apparently they dont take the tires. They said after I unload it the will lift it up front end loader and I will have to pull the tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
What was your specific procedure for cleaning those things? What chemicals and tools did you use?

The engine only had a very small amount of oil in 2 areas on the intake. I used a wire wheel on my grinder for the large areas, wire wheel on my drill for the small areas, 4 cans of brake cleaner, and some shop towels. In the little nook areas on the intake I sprayed brake cleaner then pushed a shop towel in and used a screw driver to rub the towel around. Used my air compressor several time as I went along to blow the crap off. Sprayed the whole thing down with brake cleaner several times when I was done to help wash the left over crud away. When it was all said and done I then wiped it down with water.

I re torqued the accessible head bolts down and the intake bolts before painting it. I also used a palm sander with 220 grit on all the gasket surfaces (egr, choke stove, carb, etc.) before taping them off.

Still have everything else that attaches to the engine to paint. Going to clean most of it with a 5 gallon bucket with gas and a wire brush.
Unread 06-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #383
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Man, two builds at once… I can't even get one done… hehehehe they are looking real good Mo!!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #384
scrapman
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post

Next weekend my TOP #1 BIG PRIORITY is to bring this to the scrap yard. $100 bucks a ton.

Are you sure on that $100 per ton? We are paying $200 per net ton ($10 per hundred) for auto bodies in Tyler. Shreveport should be somewhere close to that.
scrapman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #385
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapman View Post
Are you sure on that $100 per ton? We are paying $200 per net ton ($10 per hundred) for auto bodies in Tyler. Shreveport should be somewhere close to that.
Its the same out here. .10 a lb, $10 100lb, $200 a ton

Ben
Unread 06-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #386
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Thats what I was quoted at the first place I called. Guess I need to try a few others or maybe drive to Tyler. Thanks for the heads up.
Unread 06-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #387
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicR1 View Post
Man, two builds at once… I can't even get one done… hehehehe they are looking real good Mo!!!!
Just one build, the 360 is going in the CJ. The waggy was just the donor.
Unread 06-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #388
Shade00
1980 CJ5 

I guess that Wagoneer's got a TF727, right? Wish it were a TF999. I've been wanting a little auto to put in my CJ5, but the 727 has issues with pan clearance on stock suspension.
Shade00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #389
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

MoC, motor cleaned up nice and is going to look great.

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #390
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Looks great MoC! Love a fresh coat of primer and paint. You might want to call a local transmission shop and see if they want to buy the transmission as a core. Then again, might not be worth the trouble.
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.