MoC's Build Thread - Page 24 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > MoC's Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-13-2011, 08:49 AM   #346
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Well got her home unloaded and in the driveway. Planning on next weekend spending some time removing the rotten vac & fuel lines and tuning on her to see what I really have. Just want to be 100% sure I am golden before I yank her out, paint her up, and drop her in.

Another problem I am thinking about is that I am planning on painting the engine bay when doing this. I have yet to decide what my final exterior color is going to be so I guess I need to start thinking about that. I want to paint the engine bay to match.
You're right. Having to paint the engine bay DOES force you to make a decision on the final color. I think about this often, myself. Do you have it narrowed down to a few colors?

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 10:10 AM   #347
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

MoC glad to see you had a safe trip and that the engine sounds like it's a good one. You've got allot of parts to source off of that thing too!!

When you were picking the Waggy up in Tulsa we were just over the state line in Arkansas this weekend. I was thinking about you driving up that way while we were there.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 10:04 PM   #348
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
You're right. Having to paint the engine bay DOES force you to make a decision on the final color. I think about this often, myself. Do you have it narrowed down to a few colors?

Rich
Paint wise I have narrowed it down to 3 choices. Regardless of my color choice I plan on sticking with black rims, bumpers, interior, and interior paint (except the windshield and dash.) As of now my first choice will be to create a 86 green Golden Eagle. After that my next 2 choices would be to keep my factory original color Red Garnet and go with either the 85-86 Renegade stickers 79-80 Renegade stickers.

Not really concerned it the sticker package does not match the year. I will have this thing forever. When I get to old to climb in I will lower it and go with smaller tires.

The only concern with going with a green eagle will be that my engine bay will be green and my exterior red garnet until next year when I get paint and do body work. Will kind of look like a Christmas jeep until then.
partsonfloor.jpg   img_0903.jpg   103466148a.jpg  
Unread 06-14-2011, 10:12 PM   #349
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
MoC glad to see you had a safe trip and that the engine sounds like it's a good one. You've got allot of parts to source off of that thing too!!
When you were picking the Waggy up in Tulsa we were just over the state line in Arkansas this weekend. I was thinking about you driving up that way while we were there.
Kind of torn on what I am going to do as far as part sourcing. The hood and front fenders are in good shape but I am going to chop them of and hang them on my side wall of my shop like I did the other waggy front.

I am going to have to get rid of this thing pretty quick. My wife is not going to be pleased with it sitting in the driveway long once I cut it up and pull the 360. From a time stand point I really dont want to get in to shipping a whole bunch of $10 parts all over the place. I need to look around ebay and see what some of the trim pieces are going far and maybe pull them to sell. In the next week after I do that I am probably going to post a few placed about free parts come and get it before it goes to the scrap yard. Think I probably can make $200 of so in scrap value.
Unread 06-14-2011, 10:22 PM   #350
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Started her up and ran her for a short while again today. Runs great. Will take a video soon and post it up.

So planning on getting the ball rolling pretty quick here. I have planned out the swap time wise and thinking it will take me around 12 -14 working days to get everything I want done. Going to do it with the same attention to detail as I did my driveline and under body rebuild. Going for that wow look under the hood. No chrome or shiny stuff just a really clean, leak free, nicely painted engine and engine bay. A working day for me is about 4 - 5 hours, over than the kiddos dont feel the love.

This weekend I am planning on cutting the front and hanging the new waggy front on the shop. Next weekend I will pull the 360 and the weekend after that the left over waggy body has to go.

The ups man made his first visit in a while today and dropped of my 360 frame and engine mounts.
100_1024.jpg   100_1025.jpg  
Unread 06-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #351
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Just for kicks, here's a link to ifsja.org parts wanted forum...

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=76

You might have something that someone needs.

Rich

Unread 06-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #352
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Changed the oil today and installed a manual oil pressure gauge. Ran her for about 30 minutes in the driveway. Held good temp and oil pressure. Going to run her thrusday and friday for about a hour just to warm her up and circulate the new oil. Saturday the front comes of.

Her she is. Got some vac leaks so I have to keep the idle high, a/c compresor is making noise, but I very happy considering I have probably ran it more in the last 2 days than its been run in the last 8 years.

Unread 06-15-2011, 05:31 PM   #353
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Sounds pretty good MoC. You must be pleased and relieved.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #354
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

I am sir, I am.
Unread 06-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #355
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
...Her she is.... a/c compresor is making noise..
I wonder if there is any money to be made recovering any remaining R12 from her? Or is that all long gone?

Thanks for posting the video. It's kind of a happy/sad thing: The Wag (which isn't bad looking at all) is about to be pulled apart, but some of the parts will live on elsewhere.
Unread 06-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #356
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Not sure, the ac / heater fan does not turn on and blow. Guess I will find out when I disconnect them and release it to the atmosphere.

Its 100% a happy thing. My CJ needs the 360 to live on and going to hang her front end on the shop to remember it. As Rich suggested going to post on ifsja and see if anyone wants whats left. There is lots of rust under whats left of the carpet.
Unread 06-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #357
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Sounds great MoC! Wish I had known sooner you were looking for AMC V8 engine mounts because I have a set sitting in my garage I pulled off the frame I bought. Would have given them to you for shipping.
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 10:34 PM   #358
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

That baby sounds good! You're gonna love the power those 360's put out. Have you decided if you're going to keep the engine completely stock, or change out any of the components, like the intake, carb, distributor, etc.?

Rich

Unread 06-15-2011, 11:07 PM   #359
jcalhoon84
1980 CJ5 

I definitely like the dark green, I might actually look into that color for mine. I've been trying to figure out the perfect green for way to long now...
jcalhoon84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2011, 06:28 AM   #360
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
That baby sounds good! You're gonna love the power those 360's put out. Have you decided if you're going to keep the engine completely stock, or change out any of the components, like the intake, carb, distributor, etc.?

Rich
Planning on leaving it stock. Going to break it down some leave the heads, intake, and timing chain cover on before I paint it. Rebuilding and cleaning the carb. If she runs good rushed and with msd likely will leave it that way.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.