MoC's Build Thread - Page 22 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > MoC's Build Thread

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 05-28-2011, 10:11 PM   #316
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Nothing around the junk yards? A buddy of mine found one in a late model Durango and he installed it in his Dakota. Runs excellent, but I don't know what he paid.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2011, 05:42 AM   #317
MoC
1986 CJ7 

No 360's there and if there were I could not see it run.
Unread 05-29-2011, 06:04 AM   #318
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Rich,

I have been looking for a recently rebuilt / good running one on craigslist for the last month or so. I did find one running in the jeep still with videos posted on youtube but shipping was way to high. Priced it out several places. I have been screwed on a good running 360 already that turned out to have a cracked block. After the last 360 I am not going to think about installing something I can see run first.

I am planning on having this thing forever and to rebuilt it is only around $1500 more than to stick a used one in. My 258 is ticking and the rings are going. Just dont want to have to worry about the engine again. With a used 360 I could be right back in the same boat 6 months from now.

Just going to save and see what happens...

I used the same logic with my 258, me and Exposed ran a compression check and both agreed it was probably a re-manufactured long block; however, when I pulled the rear main to replace the seal I noticed the bearings were scratched and so were the rod bearings.

It looked like debris from the oil pump or pickup screen caused the problem, even though it ran good and had better than stock compression I rebuilt it. I would have kicked myself if I had problems a few months down the road.

I was going to say a rebuild on the 360 should be about 1200.00 but I went back to see if you itemized the build and we think alike. I did not see an intake manifold in your build and in my opinion, headers can be added later saving a little money now.
Unread 05-29-2011, 06:25 AM   #319
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Rich,

I have been looking for a recently rebuilt / good running one on craigslist for the last month or so. I did find one running in the jeep still with videos posted on youtube but shipping was way to high. Priced it out several places. I have been screwed on a good running 360 already that turned out to have a cracked block. After the last 360 I am not going to think about installing something I can see run first.

I am planning on having this thing forever and to rebuilt it is only around $1500 more than to stick a used one in. My 258 is ticking and the rings are going. Just dont want to have to worry about the engine again. With a used 360 I could be right back in the same boat 6 months from now.

Just going to save and see what happens...
I can appreciate your apprehension. Going through all that work of installing a used engine, only to find out it wasn't as advertised, is VERY depressing!

Hey...it's only money. You can always earn more...

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2011, 06:36 AM   #320
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
I used the same logic with my 258, me and Exposed ran a compression check and both agreed it was probably a re-manufactured long block; however, when I pulled the rear main to replace the seal I noticed the bearings were scratched and so were the rod bearings.

It looked like debris from the oil pump or pickup screen caused the problem, even though it ran good and had better than stock compression I rebuilt it. I would have kicked myself if I had problems a few months down the road.

I was going to say a rebuild on the 360 should be about 1200.00 but I went back to see if you itemized the build and we think alike. I did not see an intake manifold in your build and in my opinion, headers can be added later saving a little money now.
Was planning on reusing the one that came on the 360 I find. I also have a used one off the 360 I had with the cracked block. Not super concerned with rebuilding much over stock.
Unread 05-29-2011, 06:48 AM   #321
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
I can appreciate your apprehension. Going through all that work of installing a used engine, only to find out it wasn't as advertised, is VERY depressing!

Hey...it's only money. You can always earn more...

Rich
Yeah I payed a little much for the 360 when I got it, did not know better at the time. The guy I got it from said I could hear it run when I picked it up. Had a friend who was driving though Texas and he agreed to pick it up for me and listen to it run. Well he ended up being a day and a half late getting it and the guy selling "was in a rush" and already had stuck it on a pallet. Lucky for me but unlucky for LSUtiger it was in his jeep when we found out about the cracked block. It was sitting in my shop and my 258 was still running good at that time, no ticks or blow by. We pulled his tranny when he broke the tail shaft. With the tranny out he decided to buy it from me. We pulled his decent running 304 and dropped in the 360. This was after he spend time and money cleaning it up, changing some gaskets, and painting it like you did. Put the whole thing back together and them when he put water in it went straight in to the oil. Pulled it apart and replaced the head and manifold gaskets thinking that was the problem. Put it all back together again and water came out the oil pan drain plug about as fast as it went in the radiator. Then pulled it and dropped in his 401 which we say running. Of course I did not charge him for it and it sure was a major PITA. After going though that with him I would never buy something I cant see run with water in it first.
Unread 05-29-2011, 06:53 AM   #322
1983 CJ7 

You might want to check the classifieds on IFSJA.org
Unread 05-29-2011, 07:50 AM   #323
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Yeah I payed a little much for the 360 when I got it, did not know better at the time. The guy I got it from said I could hear it run when I picked it up. Had a friend who was driving though Texas and he agreed to pick it up for me and listen to it run. Well he ended up being a day and a half late getting it and the guy selling "was in a rush" and already had stuck it on a pallet. Lucky for me but unlucky for LSUtiger it was in his jeep when we found out about the cracked block. It was sitting in my shop and my 258 was still running good at that time, no ticks or blow by. We pulled his tranny when he broke the tail shaft. With the tranny out he decided to buy it from me. We pulled his decent running 304 and dropped in the 360. This was after he spend time and money cleaning it up, changing some gaskets, and painting it like you did. Put the whole thing back together and them when he put water in it went straight in to the oil. Pulled it apart and replaced the head and manifold gaskets thinking that was the problem. Put it all back together again and water came out the oil pan drain plug about as fast as it went in the radiator. Then pulled it and dropped in his 401 which we say running. Of course I did not charge him for it and it sure was a major PITA. After going though that with him I would never buy something I cant see run with water in it first.
Oh sonnnnn... I would have been AIN- gry!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2011, 05:33 PM   #324
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Well the latest in my jeep saga...

Still blowing the interior light / parking lights fuse. Thought it was my head light switch / interior light dimmer. The dimmer stopped working so I replaced it and all was well for a short while until last night. At 1130 last night after hanging at LSUtigers house the fuse blew twice on my 5 minute drive home. Cant wait to trace out that short.

Unread 06-02-2011, 05:50 AM   #325
abernut
1985 CJ7 

Moc,
I bought a used 360 that was running when we pulled it.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/am...build-1116524/

My plan was to rebuild it and throw it in my jeep. But I am starting to have 2nd thoughts. I have a buddy that just purchased a CJ7 with a freshly rebuilt 360. It runs likes a champ. The first month or so he loved it, but now he barely drives it because of how much he spends in gas.

I drive mine everyday and would like the option of driving it long distances with out having to sell a kidney. So right now I am weighing my options of just beefing up my 258 or saying screw it and drop the 360 in. But if do decide to stick with the 258, you will be the first person I contact.
abernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2011, 06:13 AM   #326
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Still blowing the interior light / parking lights fuse.:
I had that problem. I traced it back to the old gauge light in my old Sunpro temperature gauge. The lamp base for the light was corroded and the lead wire was squirrely. I could never actually find how it was shorting out, so I just left out the lamp and haven't had a problem since.

You can get resettable fusese and fuses they will light up when there's a fault. They're expensive but could be helpful if you're continually blowing one. I think I found the light-up ones at the auto parts store in the usual place.
Unread 06-02-2011, 06:43 AM   #327
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

MoC I think if I were going to put a 360 in my Jeep I'd buy one with the intentions to go through it. Two things that would make the block useless is being cracked, as you already found out the hard way, or that it's been bored over and the cylinders are bad. You can check the bores easy enough if the crank and pistons are out with a snap gauge and micrometer. A machine shop can tell you if the block is cracked.

As rixcj has mentioned there's good engines out there and if you keep going you'll find one. I would rebuild it since you plan to keep the CJ for a long time. Done right and it'll outlast you.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #328
1983 CJ7 

If you drive the CJ part-time...360
Unread 06-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #329
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Soooooo... just sealed the deal. Saturday I am getting on the road for a 13 hours round trip drive to pick up the 360 I have been talking about in the other recent threads. Was rebuilt in 2002, has build sheet. Only has around "2000" miles or less on it. Of course cant verify the miles but the story goes that after the rebuild either the rear end or tcase blew and has been sitting since. The guy selling it is moving out of state and has to get rid of it. He was asking $600 for the 360 or $750 for the whole thing. Offered $450 then $500 and would not budge. Finally bit the bullet and told him I would pay $600 for the 360 after running it through its paces. He agreed to the price and offered to help me pull it. He called back this afternoon saying that he was no longer going to be able to help me pull it, his grandson was coming through town and wanted just to sell me the whole thing for $675. Got him down to $645 for the whole thing. So I will soon be the owner of a 80 or 81 waggy with a blown rear end / tranny.

I am not going to swap the engine over till late summer, its just to darn hot now. Just going to leave it in the driveway till then so that I can start it and run it. After I pull it guess I am going to have another waggy front end to hang on my shop. Going to chop the rest up in to parts and try to make some money off of it on scrap. My new name should be WaggyKiller.
Unread 06-10-2011, 07:03 AM   #330
Turtle71
1983 CJ7 

Looking forward to seeing that happen. And the paint work on the engine/bay.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.