MoC's Build Thread - Page 127 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > MoC's Build Thread

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #1891
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

MoC many of the trails you'll see were made by a group of young men know as the Civilian Conservation Corps. They were hired during the depression to hack trails through the West. Seeing that railroad cut into the side of the mountain could very well be one of the projects they did. They made roads were none had been. Mostly with a pick and shovel, and some dinamite. Mules packed in supplies to them. The guys lived in barracks much like the military does. Some people even say that this was an effort to get our young men ready for the upcoming war, WWII. The program was all government ran and in reading about it the work was hard. No slackers were allowed. As you know I'm not much on anything big government but this was a rare time when people really worked hard for tax money that supported them. Just imagine these young punks today having to work for that welfare check or food stamps!

Have fun out there MoC and family!

Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 09:31 AM   #1892
wm69

Looks awesome. Beautiful scenery.

Jim, I know what you mean about the depression workers. Most of the bridges around here were built during that time, along with the local lake, which was a spring fed creek that was dammed up.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #1893
1983 CJ7 

I am so jealous...keep posting photos!
Unread 07-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #1894
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Victory, made it to Aspen. Parents watching the kids. Pictures from today's adventure coming late late tonight.
image-2457631155.jpg

Unread 07-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #1895
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Victory, made it to Aspen. Parents watching the kids. Pictures from today's adventure coming late late tonight.
Uh-Oh! Nights that started out like that for me NEVER ended well!!!!! I have embarrassed myself in over 15 states, 6 or 7 countries, and 3 continents. Behave yourself- I never could.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
WNC-84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 01:16 AM   #1896
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Today was a truly incredible day. I will apologize in advance for really blowing up the bandwidth. I took over 300 pictures today and picked these to share. They in no way do this trip justice.

This is coming down in to Ouray this morning for our ride with San Juan Jeep Tours, which is the oldest jeep tour company in Colorado.

They don't use all jeeps anymore. In their active fleet is 2 J-20's, a Cherokee Chief, and 2 dodges. We ended up in a dodge since our group was a little bigger than could fit in one Jeep.

The trip today was to a jeep trail they call "highway to heaven." It private land that they lease so know other company or private party can go up it. The ride took us to the peak of a mountain that was just under 14,000. You can see it here between the gun sites far off in the distance.

Our guide was Jean,who owner the company,and he was awesome. He was full of knowledge and just a great guy. We made several stop along the way and here are 2 shots that I thought were cool. The first is just a sweet set of falls.

Second picture is cool as well and plays in to a little history I will share. This whole area was formed by a massive volcano. If you look closely in this picture you will see an area that looks like ripples. Geologist have determined that the ripples were the sand bottom of the sea floor. The ripples were originally made by wave action like you see at the beach and were "cast" when the volcano blew.

[

The peak were drove to was actually in the center of this volcano. The ride up to the peak was nothing short of spectacular. If you watch the video the surrounding mountains make a circle around this peak and they were the edges of the volcano crater. It was somewhere around 50 miles wide.

The last 15 minutes was up a grade that was measured to be 58%.

At the very top was a flat area that was about the size of a large house.

Unread 07-24-2013, 01:24 AM   #1897
MoC
1986 CJ7 

The view was breath taking. There was nothing within sight that was taller than we were. You could just see everything 360 degrees around you.

This was shot on the way down that gives a good feel of the ride and grade.

These two pictures I thought were cool. In the first one gabby is pointing to the reflection of the peak we went to in the water.

This second one is on the peak and she is pointing back down at the lake.

After coming back down he took us threw several old mine sites / ghost towns.

Once the tour was over and we made it back he let me go poke around his shop. There were several old jeeps around that were once used on the tour. Two J-20's, 2 CJ 2A's, and one last one which is my "jeep of the day." Its a Willy's wagon that was once used. There were actually 2 of them.

Anywho... We made it in to Aspen tonight. Nothing really planned for tomorrow other that just chilling around town. Maybe a short hike.

Nite all....
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 06:04 AM   #1898
Guy Smilie

1978 CJ5 

Moc, how do you guys and girls make out in that thin air? 14000 ft has to be tough for us living at or near sea level.
Guy Smilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #1899
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Smilie
Moc, how do you guys and girls make out in that thin air? 14000 ft has to be tough for us living at or near sea level.
Not bad at all sir. We have been up at altitude the since Sunday and are acclimated now. I am sure if we hiked to 14,000 that would be a different story.
Unread 07-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #1900
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

the pics of your daughter pointing are terrific! Private property, huh? I would love to own a piece of that country, gorgeous indeed!
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #1901
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigo
the pics of your daughter pointing are terrific! Private property, huh? I would love to own a piece of that country, gorgeous indeed!
The lake area was all public. Not really sure how much was private but it was a huge chunk. We passed through a locked gate where the private began about 10 min up the mountain. The jeep tour guy said the leased it from a California guy. Must be nice to own your own mountain 20 min outside Ouray.
Unread 07-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #1902
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

MoC I always enjoy your vacations! I can't help but think that your kids will never forget these times as long as they live. You and your wife won't either. In looking at your pictures I'm thinking how nice it would be to have that kind of country in my back yard, bet you think that too. How's the temps out there? Keep the pictures coming !!!!
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #1903
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Thanks Jim.

A little warmer than this year than last, but not bad at all. The rain is not an issue. Durning the summer is rains pretty much every day here. Usually just a quick shower / storm that cools things off a bit.

Nothing picture worthy today. Played golf and and spend money shopping.

image-1589808095.jpg

Unread 07-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #1904
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Great pics MoC! You guys are making some awesome memories. I need to make my way back out there. It has been years. Pretty sure at 14,000 ft I would need oxygen or both lungs would collapse.
Unread 07-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #1905
MoC
1986 CJ7 

I was actually thinking about you up there. I the other party was a 58 year old lady who had a lung removed 11 months ago. She brought oxygen but never used it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.