MoC's Build Thread - Page 121 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > MoC's Build Thread

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 06-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #1801
lugnut28

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever
Just saying.
I agree
1985 Jeep CJ7
2008 Chrysler 300
2013 Ford Escape

lugnut28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #1802
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

I sold cars and my buddy in the biz tells me when I need a new one 'cuz he stold a trade. My wifey likes here Sequoia Limited. She likes the leather, nav, dvd, and I like the height controller for hooking up trailers, mighty handy. Having said that, she liked her base 2004 Ford Expedition XLT more. Plus Ford is offering CRAZY money in rebates, factory to dealer money etc. I like the locking rear on the Toyota and central locking T-Case. But not at $125-175+/month more! Toyota won't deal at all!
My 2 cents
Unread 06-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #1803
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
Just saying.
Toyota Sequoia is manafactured in Princeton, Indiana.
Honda Pilot is manafactured in Lincoln, Alabama.

Some Fords are made in Mexico...

Seems to me that they are contributing to the American workforce..

Just saying...
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #1804
MoC
1986 CJ7 

When spending $45k + on a SUV I am going to go with the best value and not limiting myself to by looking at American auto manufactures only. (Even though we have already determined that this SUV is made here in the USA.) Fact of the matter is the Toyota's and Honda's hold their value longer than any of the American SUV's. Also to get a comparable SUV in the American market I would have to spend $55k+.

Personally I will never buy another Ford again. Although my 05 F-150 gets the job done it has really soured my mouth to design defects with that generation F-150.

-I have been through 3 stock radios. The CD's get jammed. Searching it is a common problem.
- I have been through 5 window regulators. The break and the window falls down in to the door. Another design defect that the service departments admits. I have talked to several people with this generation F-150 and have have the same problem.
- I paid $500 to replace the spark plugs. The factory design is defective, again well documented. They are a 2 piece plug and other break off in the head.
- Lastly I have recently developed a upper end tick. Yet another documented problem with the 5.4L V8. The cam phasers prematurely fail. Basically they sling oil to the cam and top end. As they fail they dont lub as well and a tick develops. Like our 258's some will go years with the tick. Eventually they will throw a low oil pressure code. $2500 fix from the dealer.

Never again a Ford...
Unread 06-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #1805
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

"Never again a Ford..."

Never have and never will. I guess this would be the perfect time and place for this:
image-858168392.jpg  
Unread 06-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #1806
83vert
1982 CJ7 

I have a brand new tundra crew max which is basically a sequoia with a pick up bed. The greatest truck I ever owned and will blow away any ford or Chevy truck in equal trim. Just sayin
Unread 06-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #1807
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

I'm still loving my 03 F150 Triton V8. I live 25 minutes from the Honda plant. They provide A LOT of the jobs in my area. Half my friends would be unemployed without that plant and its subs. I still think they are morons though in their plant scheduling. The people working on the line have to work a swing shift. 2 weeks days and 2 weeks nights on constant rotation. Ruins just about everyone's life that works it that I know. But they do it for the pay and to have a job.
matthewleeblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #1808
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I've had several Ford trucks, including my current '01 F150, 5.4. I have had a single spark plug issue. 205,000 miles on it and just installed a Jasper tranny. My son has my old '97 F150. It has 260,000 miles, but it is the 4.6. No issues except one window motor. I have had several Chevys, including the Astro. It has 226,000 miles on it. Tranny rebuild 5 years ago, but it pulled a 22' flats boat and a family of 6 for a dozen years. No issues with any of the Chevys either. Now, I have had a Rodeo that soured me from ever owning another Isuzu, but so far, all of my American cars and trucks have been great.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #1809
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

What's the difference between and American car made in the US vs a Foreign car made in the US? American workers on both lines. Profits just goes to a different company.
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #1810
firemanjim7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7
What's the difference between and American car made in the US vs a Foreign car made in the US? American workers on both lines. Profits just goes to a different country.
There I fixed that post for you VAC7!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
firemanjim7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #1811
wm69

My grandfather was a B29 pilot in WW2. He wasn't a big fan of the Japanese. He also opened a GMC/Pontiac/Buick dealership right after the war, and ran it until he retired in 1991. I grew up next door to them.

In 1988 Dad bought our first Honda. My grandfather was not happy about it. He owned a car dealership, and to boot, we bought something made in Japan.

The thing is, we'd ALWAYS had GM vehicles, and they were ALWAYS in the shop. With the family owning the dealership, it wasn't like repairs were mega expensive, but it finally got to the point where Dad just wanted a car that DIDN'T HAVE CONSTANT ISSUES. The Buicks and GMC's always ran fine, but you had leaks, sagging doors, electrical gremlins galore, just little irritating things but it was ALL THE TIME, so he got fed up with it and bought a Honda for my sister. She was going off to college the next year, 9 hours away, and he just got to the point where he didn't trust American made vehicles.

We've had 13 Accords or Civics since 1988. The only one that's ever needed any work other than scheduled maint is my 93 that I sold a couple of years ago with 360K on it, and it's still running strong. I had to replace the radiator, clutch slave cylinder, and fuel injection relay all at about 300K. No window motors going out, no fuel gauges that stop working, no leaking windows, no oil leaks, no backup lights or taillights that quit working. Change the oil, put gas in it, rotate the tires, and drive.

The last GM vehicle we had leaked water the first time it rained, window motor went out, AC lost its charge, and fuel gauge all crapped out, within A MONTH of driving it off the lot new. Think I'll pass on that, thanks anyway.
Oh, and that 93 was made in Ohio.

I don't even look at American made cars anymore, other than CJ's, and lets face it, none of us drive CJ's because they're dependable, they're a hassle to keep on the road, but we irrationally love them.

Yeah, I know domestics have gotten better since the 80's, and I know that as Toyota and Honda have gotten bigger, they might have slipped a bit, but until Honda gets the attitude that the Union controlled domestics had for so long of "yeah, we know it's junk, but you'll buy it anyway or you are unAmerican!", I'll keep buying Hondas (or Yotas if I want a truck)

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #1812
GlennLever
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

I do not want to hijack this thread or start a stink war.

These are my last comments in your thread on this topic.

1) People need to realize that American auto builders have moved out of the 70's and 80's when they produced junk. They now produce equipment that is better than the foreign stuff, but have not won back the buying public, yet.

2) The profit from foreign vehicles goes overseas, hurts the balance of payments. That means foreign vehicles built here still sends the money overseas. If US vehicles were purchased instead of foreign vehicle the jobs to build the US vehicles would be at US builder plants, not at plats for foreign vehicles here in the US.

The point I make here is the same number of jobs are created, either building foreign vehicle in US plants or US vehicles in US plants.

3) Yes, US vehicles are built in mexico and elsewhere, and I hate it, and parts are built elsewhere, but the profit from the sale of the vehicle , which is the biggest component of the sale, says here. The trend lately is they are coming back (Camaro). American manufactures are beginning to wake up and realize that cheap labor got them into trouble, and that skilled labor is worth the extra dollar.

158,000 miles on my f350 , no fixes other than warranty issues. Personally I think now a days the vehicles are all pretty much equal in quality.

Once again I apologize for hijacking your great thread.
dsc_0938.jpg  

My restoration thread here on the Jeep forum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...build-1269301/

New FED, Drag Racing Forum (I am an Administrator) at
http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #1813
lugnut28

1985 CJ7 

Here's my last two cents on the subject&hellip; Well said GlennLever, well said. Now lets get back to building jeeps.
lugnut28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #1814
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
I do not want to hijack this thread or start a stink war.
No worries Glenn, I am done with any serious Jeep work for a while and have to focus on house stuff. I dont mind any debate or comments here sir.

Unread 06-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #1815
wm69

Sorry for the clutter on your thread Moc. The Sequoia looks sweet! Bet you're getting some vicious MPG on it though. Gotta love it when your 360 equipped Jeep will get better MPG than the wife's rig!

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.