MoC's Build Thread - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > MoC's Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 03-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #151
VEX
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Hey guys, over the next 3 weeks I am planning on rebuilding T176 tranny, replacing tcase seals, replacing u joints, replacing clutch and clutch hardware. This will be my first tranny rebuilt attempt and from what I have read here I think it is defiantly do able on my end. Also planning on painting tcase and tranny, drive shafts, and frame & tub area from engine back to gas tank. Using the Novak rebuilt kit. So its going to be a little project. So my first question is for the guys that have rebuilt the t176 how long did it you to just do the rebuilt from start to finish?

I will post pictures from start to finish along the way.
This thread is killer, MoC, I didn't know you had rebuilt and minted out this CJ--killer job. Oh, are you gonna have fun in NM. Am back. Taking photos for all the requests for same. Too cool.

Slap on da winches......

Well done, sir,

Robert

VEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #152
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEX View Post
This thread is killer, MoC, I didn't know you had rebuilt and minted out this CJ--killer job. Oh, are you gonna have fun in NM. Am back. Taking photos for all the requests for same. Too cool.

Slap on da winches......

Well done, sir,

Robert
Thank you Robert.
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2011, 12:12 PM   #153
VEX
1983 CJ7 

........and you, I assume, getting ready to shoot the xxxx if it doesn't straighten itself out, there in your avatar. I just love it!! I have threatened over a million times to blast VEX with the 12 gauge if he does not pull himself together. Almost shot VEX yesterday in the stuck.......Too funny.

Sometimes, he acts like a Ford Pinto or a Volvo.......which?

Robert
Unread 03-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #154
MoC
1986 CJ7 

So getting ready to go buy a new starter. I noticed it's teeth are a little boogered and I just did replace the flywheel since it's ring gear was boogered as well. Better safe than sorry! Have gotten rear drive shaft installed, engine tranny and tcase oils in, lower rad hose replaced. Will be starting today for sure and hope to drive as well. Would like to get starter installed, tcase and tranny shifters in, and clutch linkage in within the next 3 hours.
Unread 03-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #155
Graffxman
1976 CJ7 

Did a new starter on mine last weekend. Finally, a mechanical job I could handle with no help! (except all the questions I texted you that day.....)
Unread 03-04-2011, 10:56 PM   #156
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graffxman View Post
Did a new starter on mine last weekend. Finally, a mechanical job I could handle with no help! (except all the questions I texted you that day.....)
You will be a shady tree mechanic before you know!
Unread 03-04-2011, 11:19 PM   #157
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Well got the new starter installed. Clipped on the reverse light and 4wd wires on. Inspection cover on. Pulled the remaining old clutch linkage. Installed the new clutch pedal to bellcrack rod and rubber piece. Stopped and ate some dinner. Installed the tranny and tcase shifters. Filled the rad. Installed new clutch linkage. Since I added my 1 inch body lift I have always noticed the clutch pedal to bellcrank rod rubbed in the bottom of its designed hole in the fire wall. Cut the hole out a little lower. Filled her up with water and wait for wait for wait for it

Started it her up for the first time in 3 months!!

Let it idle for about 20 minutes then
DROVE IT!

Went about 10 minutes to LSUtigers house. Clutch needed a little adjustment was slipping a little under load and not engaging until the pedal was almost all the way up. So let her cool down a bit and adjusted the clutch a bit. Drove her back the 10 minutes home and the clutch was much better but I think I am going to go a bit more in on the clutch but its pretty close.

Did I mention I drove it!!

So the only news GREAT news is there are no leaks!!!

So pretty happy about all this. I still need to get the shocks back on, install the new speedo cable, and install the tunnel cover and boot. Also now that it has been driven and did sit through 3 months of cold not running I am going to check oil pan, motor mount, valve cover, and intake and exhaust bolts. In order to get all this work time in today I had to promise very little jeep working this weekend which is fine since I do need some family time. Planing on washing and shining her up tomorrow and finishing all that little stuff sunday.

Also on the good side I noticed that with all new motor and tranny mounts the engine sits more off the firewall which is always a plus. On the bad side I still need to get my front drive shaft retubed. Measured the rear and it needs to go longer as well. Think as of right now I only have about 3/4 - 1 inch of travel out before it bottoms out.

Will post up some final reassembly and after wash pictures tomorrow.
Unread 03-05-2011, 04:28 AM   #158
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2011, 05:11 AM   #159
1983 CJ7 

That has to be a great feeling!

What is the plan for today?
Unread 03-05-2011, 06:39 AM   #160
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Hey could you be excited over this or something. Great job!

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2011, 10:22 AM   #161
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I hate you… no, I don't… Just jealous!!!

I can't believed that you're not still driving it!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2011, 10:36 AM   #162
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Thanks guys. Just went for a quick run to the bank and circle K in the rain. Had to pull the doors off to make it fun. Think I am going to hold off on any more drives to I adjust the clutch out a little more. Just barely feels like it is still slipping a little. Also on the down side I did just find a 1/4 drop of oil where the inspection cover and bellhouse meet. Could not tell where it was from. To wet to go crawling under it right now so it will have to be a mystery of now. Damm oil leak!
Unread 03-05-2011, 10:51 AM   #163
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Well just went and looked in the wet again. Still no drops on the ground and nothing new. My guess is the rear of the 1 piece oil pan gasket did not seat properly. When I put the pan up it kind of felt like it went in funny but was to late to turn back at that point. Guess worst case I am pulling the motor mount again and replacing the 1 piece gasket next weekend.
Unread 03-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #164
VEX
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Well just went and looked in the wet again. Still no drops on the ground and nothing new. My guess is the rear of the 1 piece oil pan gasket did not seat properly. When I put the pan up it kind of felt like it went in funny but was to late to turn back at that point. Guess worst case I am pulling the motor mount again and replacing the 1 piece gasket next weekend.
So, its raining like the tropics over there in Shreveport? Typical. Love that country over there on my way to KSC, and love going to New Iberia Is. to Tobasco plant, but it sure can be wet back your way.

This whole thread on what you are doing to your Jeep is just killer fun and great read. Great work.

It is pushing 80 and sunny as usual here in Las Cruces. Working on my stuck photos and rescue with rear winch now for posting.

Do you have CV joints and big DLs in Red?

Robert
Unread 03-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #165
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEX View Post
So, its raining like the tropics over there in Shreveport? Typical. Love that country over there on my way to KSC, and love going to New Iberia Is. to Tobasco plant, but it sure can be wet back your way.

This whole thread on what you are doing to your Jeep is just killer fun and great read. Great work.

It is pushing 80 and sunny as usual here in Las Cruces. Working on my stuck photos and rescue with rear winch now for posting.

Do you have CV joints and big DLs in Red?
Robert
??????

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.