MoC's Build Thread - Page 105 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > MoC's Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 03-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #1561
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Boy, oh boy...the weather's a lot nicer there than here...it's snowing the wind's howlin' .

Bet you're dying to hear how it sounds. Good luck with the carb!

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #1562
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Hey Moc,

Exhaust day is an exciting one.

Regarding your carb problems. I recall reading there may be differences in the bases of the 2100 and 2150. I'll bet the 2150 requires a different adapter plate, or gasket, than the 2100.

Like you, I'd be very surprised if there's a problem with the National carb.

Have fun, today....

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #1563
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
Boy, oh boy...the weather's a lot nicer there than here...it's snowing the wind's howlin' .

Bet you're dying to hear how it sounds. Good luck with the carb!

Rich
68 and partly cloudly today! I think were were 39 for the low last night. The rains coming sunday and bring back some cold with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Hey Moc,

Exhaust day is an exciting one.

Regarding your carb problems. I recall reading there may be differences in the bases of the 2100 and 2150. I'll bet the 2150 requires a different adapter plate, or gasket, than the 2100.

Like you, I'd be very surprised if there's a problem with the National carb.

Have fun, today....

Matt
You are correct Matt, the gaskets are different. The gaskets I bought are specific to a 2150.

I am pretty stumped on the carb. Torn in to it yesterday and everything looks great. Everything is clean, check ball it their, no debris under the needle, float does not appear to be hanging, power valve is not bad from my one backfire when I was 180 out. I talked on and off with National as well hunting for ideas. I did notice the clip that holds the needle to the float was missing. Thinking I had found my smoking gun I called National and the said they intentionally leave it off on thier rebuild as one of the "Tweeks" they do.

My plans are to blow everything out with carb cleaner, replace the power valve (even though I am 100% sure its good), install the missing clip they left off, dry check the float level, then button her back up and see what happens. If it is still not running I am going to pull the top and see where I am at with fuel in the bowl.

Its 100% the carb since I idles great with this 2100. National assures me that it was ran on a test engine and was functional but will take it back and check it again.

Time will tell. I had to leave the jeep at the muffler place. I sat around a little over 2 hours before the got it on the rack then they ran out of the correct size pipe and had to go get more. I was going to stay the whole time and supervise but I think the guy doing it knows exactly what I want. When I left he has the skid cut and the pipes running from the collectors back to where the mufflers will go.

So I am off to pick up Gabby, drop her off at dance, pick up Liam, go back and get Gabby, run home and get the trailer, then make it back to the muffler shop with the kids to load up before they close at 6.
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #1564
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

MoC,

Could your carburetor base plate be warpped?

SC
Unread 03-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #1565
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASteve
MoC,

Could your carburetor base plate be warpped?

SC
Already checked that. Ran a straight edge across it and looks good. Also did not hear any air leaks when I checked with the stethoscope. Listened with the engine running and with it off when we tried to pressurize the top end.
Unread 03-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #1566
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Done deal. $649 out the door with a warranty from Meineke. Over all I am very happy with the work. I went with a set of Super V's, imitation Flowmasters. The skid plate cuts were not to bad, I just have to pretty them up a bit. I had them hang the pipes out a little long at the rear so I could decided where to chop them. The only little concern is they come out a little closer to the rear tires than I would have liked. It is really tight. He did say that any modifications / changes I wanted he could do under the warranty anytime. Going to ponder on it and see.

Anyone have any constructive criticism?
Unread 03-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #1567
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Here she is running. Keep in mind I have the leaking 2100 on it. The 2100 that all I did to was turn the screews out 2 turns and bolt it on. No tunning. The dirty old leaking 2100 that runs... Not the pretty professionaly rebuilt 2150 that does not yet run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xYca...ature=youtu.be
Unread 03-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #1568
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

The cuts look real close to the pipe, might keep a eye out for rubbing. Need shorter bolts on the flanges, maybe stainless.

Sounds real good even with the crap carb.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #1569
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
The cuts look real close to the pipe, might keep a eye out for rubbing. Need shorter bolts on the flanges, maybe stainless.

Sounds real good even with the crap carb.

Bill
I was planning on shortening those bolts and also cutting some length off the ends of the hangers and painting them up.

The sound is a tad bit louder than I was going for, but not complaining at all.
Unread 03-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #1570
OrangeCJ-5

1978 CJ5 

Right side parking brake cable and hose look pretty close. Maybe not

Edit: Upon further review the hose I was referring to looks to be the axle vent hose.

Last edited by OrangeCJ-5; 03-08-2013 at 11:30 PM.. Reason: Small (phone) picture
OrangeCJ-5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #1571
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCJ-5 View Post
Right side parking brake cable and hose look pretty close. Maybe not
good eye! I changed out the e brake during the 360 swap and have not tightened it back up yet. That is on the short list.
Unread 03-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #1572
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Sounds great, very similar to my Flowmaster 40's.

I was also going to mention that the passenger's side parking brake cable would get melted the first time that side of the axle drops.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #1573
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

Nice moves in the video haha. Sounds great! Also can't wait to get my Jeep to just crank right up like that on a cold start.
matthewleeblair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #1574
GlennLever
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

I would kill the guy for welding a pipe hanger to my frame. It does sound very nice.

My restoration thread here on the Jeep forum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...build-1269301/

New FED, Drag Racing Forum (I am an Administrator) at
http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #1575
MoC
1986 CJ7 

I don't mind it on the frame. There was not another good place to go. I'll cut the top down, grind it a little and paint.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.