MoC's Build Thread - Page 104 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > MoC's Build Thread

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 02-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #1546
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Way to go! When you get the bugs ironed out, I have a feeling you're gonna be a happy boy!

I use manifold vacuum, as well. Mine runs good timed at 14 degrees BTDC. I use a vacuum gauge to set the timing, and the carb.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #1547
drespecki
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Well for lack of anything better to do today I started another little jeep project. A while ago Paul posted a picture of a fab job he had someone do on his factory air cleaner to fit on to the 2100 and I decided "I can do that" so off to thinking I went.

Bought some 30g ducting from lowes.

My plans are to cut it down to about 3 inches tall and then weld it to the base of the 2100 filter plate I have been using.

Then I am going to cut a hole in the top of the 2100 filter plate I have been using for the original air cleaner horn to fit in to.

Then weld it to the factory air cleaner and then to the lower piece.

No problem!

Thanks for the detailed writeup! Do you have a link to Paul's modification? I want to do this and the more info I get, the better..
Unread 02-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #1548
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
It was running on manifold in the video. I had 15 min just now to play with it. Heres what I know. The only way it will stay running at idle is with the idle speed turned all the way up and the advance pushed off the scale. I am thinking I have to have a vac problem somewhere which is allowing it to suck air. Thinking with idle speed all the way up and advance up its compensating for the air leak. Mixture screws are 2.5 turns out and all 8 are firing.

Going to tune on it tomorrow and plug all the vac lines and see what I get.

Matt, question about tuning with manifold vac. With ported you are supposed to plug the advance line when setting the timing. I would imagine with manifold you leave it connected when tuning since it effects your timing at idle, correct? Do you still set your initial time it like you do with ported?
Hey Moc,

Couldn't you test for a vacuum leak by covering your carb up at the choke plate. If it still runs you have a vacuum leak if it dies you don't?

If it does still run when covered up then you can start playing with all the lines to see where the leak is.

SC
Unread 02-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #1549
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Having watched MoC's meticulous habits on this build, I'd be surprised if he has a large enough leak to prevent the engine from running.

I'm thinking ignition/timing.....

Hopefully MoC will have a happy report for us, soon.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #1550
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
Having watched MoC's meticulous habits on this build, I'd be surprised if he has a large enough leak to prevent the engine from running.

I'm thinking ignition/timing.....

Hopefully MoC will have a happy report for us, soon.

Matt
Nope, it's not ign. or timing. It's my very well educated guess its the thick gasket under the carb. I imagine we'll know fairly soon.
Steve, he did what you suggested, it ran mucho better with his hand over the top of the carb.
I leave the rest to MoC.
Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #1551
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

So, RPMs increased with the hand cupped over the carb, eh? That's surely a leak. Good call, Steve and Bill.

I guess MoC did mention it ran while warming up, so it liked being choked, but then died once warm.

Matt
Unread 02-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #1552
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASteve

Hey Moc,

Couldn't you test for a vacuum leak by covering your carb up at the choke plate. If it still runs you have a vacuum leak if it dies you don't?

If it does still run when covered up then you can start playing with all the lines to see where the leak is.

SC
Yup, that's the first thing I did this am. With hand over the carb is smooths out and idles so its a vac leak. Yanked the PVC & brake booster and it still ran... So it's either the carb or manifold. Pulled the carb and waiting in a gasket. Under that suspicion I had one ordered to autozone but the sent the wrong one.
Unread 02-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #1553
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
So, RPMs increased with the hand cupped over the carb, eh? That's surely a leak. Good call, Steve and Bill.

I guess MoC did mention it ran while warming up, so it liked being choked, but then died once warm.

Matt
It wasn't really a guess on my part,after talking and a couple texts with MoC yesterday and this morning. I cheated a little.
My hope is he and his out of town friend are at the muffler shop right know. Could be wrong about that though.
Bill
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 02-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #1554
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
It wasn't really a guess on my part,after talking and a couple texts with MoC yesterday and this morning. I cheated a little.
My hope is he and his out of town friend are at the muffler shop right know. Could be wrong about that though.
Bill
Ahhh....going all "behind the scenes" on us, eh? I see how you operate.

I hate carb gaskets.....

Matt
Unread 02-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #1555
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Nope, it's not ign. or timing. It's my very well educated guess its the thick gasket under the carb. I imagine we'll know fairly soon.
Steve, he did what you suggested, it ran mucho better with his hand over the top of the carb.
I leave the rest to MoC.
Bill
Hey Bill,

I didn't see where he did this....or is this one of those behind the scenes phone call / text
Unread 02-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #1556
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASteve

Hey Bill,

I didn't see where he did this....or is this one of those behind the scenes phone call / text
I talked to MoC right after he did it.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
Unread 02-19-2013, 05:42 PM   #1557
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Dang, MoC... that sounds almost as good as Clay's 258 with uncorked headers!

ATTA BOY!

I am officially caught up.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 05:09 AM   #1558
1983 CJ7 

Great job!
Unread 03-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #1559
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Hey Hey Hey...

14 days later and progress has been made. Just when I thought my troubles were solved they were not. After my last update I ordered the new gaskets, pulled the carb, tightened down the manifold again, and put it all back together. Once all that was done I was still having idling and running issues. Once everything was warmed up it would not idle at a low RPM, ran rough, would die after about 30 seconds if you did not bump the throttle. It did however die now when I put my hand over the carb. The vac reading hovered around 9 and the idle speed was surging. All the symptoms of a vac leak...

I have been really busy these last two weeks and have only had a hour here and a hour there to tinker with it. I first tried to listen for a vac leak with a stethoscope which yielded nothing. Used propane and still nothing. I then tried to do a shade tree smoke test. Connected a rubber hose to metal nipple that the PVC connects. Blew a whole bunch of cigarette smoke in to the engine through the tube and had a buddy put his finger over the dipstick tub hole and the oil fill tube and then blow in to the tube to put it under pressure. Could not hear any manifold leaks with the stethoscope and did not see any smoke leaking out. Based on that I decided that there was not a manifold leak. Attacked the manifold vac system next. Basically the same thing. Plugged all the manifold vac sources. Put a tube on one nipple, rubber glove over the top of the carb, and filled it up with smoke. Again no leaks that I could hear with a stethoscope.

Today was the break through day. Pulled the carb again and installed the 1.08 2100 that was on my 258. It has a bad accelerator pump and developed a nice little spiders web inside. Before I installed it i turned the screews 2 turns out. Hooked it up using the gaskets that were in place from the 2150, a little gas down the carb, and she now idles like a champ. Idel speed does not surge and I am getting around 16 on my vac with no tuning and no pipes past the headers.

Who would have thought that my rebuilt carb from National would have been the problem...

Before I pulled the 2150 I disconnected the fuel line and ran all the gas out of it. I also noticed that when I pulled the 2150 the gasket was wetter than I would expect with gas.

I am out of time with it till Friday, which I took off as a jeep working day. So the plan is Friday AM, after dropping the kiddos off at school, going to trailer it to the exhaust place to get some pipes and mufflers and then figure out the 2150 problem.

So close....
Unread 03-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #1560
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Just hanging out waiting to have pipes installed.
image-864784255.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.