MoC's Build Thread - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > MoC's Build Thread

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 02-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #136
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graffxman View Post
That looks awesome! Is it now too pretty to drive???
No, just going to wash its underside more now. lol

MoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 02:51 PM   #137
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Well again with LSUtiger's help another 2 1/2 hours of work but in to her today. It amazes me how much was wrong drive train wise and this thing was still running. The input shaft on the tranny was bend and I replaced it when I did the tranny rebuilt. Take a look at how wallowed out the old pilot bearing was.

So started out the day bolting the tranny mount to the skid. Had to drop the skid back down about 1/2 inch to get the holes to line up. Installed the bolts and tightened the skid back down. Then got my pretty new motor mounts fresh out the box.

Replaced the drivers side mount first.

The drivers side mount was broken when I pulled it down.

Then pulled the passenger side mount and plate.

Installed the oil pan and then the new passenger side mount.

The last hour of working today we were in a big rush. Both of us had stuff we needed to go do. Rushing and working rarely lead to good things and I made what could have been a big problem but ended up dodging a big bullet on this one. After we buttoned everything up and Brady left I was pulling my pictures off the camera and something caught my eye. You can see it in the last picture I posted above. Through the oil pan drain hole you can see something white. I first thought I was a illusion caused by the flash but decided to go take a look. Sure enough there was something in there. Used a screw driver and a small needle nose pliers and pulled out this....

Yup a rubber glove.... Talk about lucky huh???
Unread 02-27-2011, 03:07 PM   #138
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

That could have cost you an engine. Lucky find indeed.

Today's your luck day, go buy a lotto ticket.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #139
83vert
1982 CJ7 

Close call on the glove and the undeside looks great,
Unread 02-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #140
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Hey they count those things in an operating room. Maybe you need to start doing that too.

Looking great.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #141
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
That could have cost you an engine. Lucky find indeed.
The other glove is accounted for but just in case when it comes times to add oil I am going to fill it up and drain it to make sure nothing else floats down. Dont know how we missed that, just rushing I guess.
Unread 02-27-2011, 10:03 PM   #142
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

That's amazing that you caught the glove. I can't imagine what your post would have been like if you hadn't!!!!!

If you and Brady can get that much done in 2 1/2 hours, I want you to come to MY house and help me! You're a team all by yourself!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 11:05 PM   #143
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
That's amazing that you caught the glove. I can't imagine what your post would have been like if you hadn't!!!!!

If you and Brady can get that much done in 2 1/2 hours, I want you to come to MY house and help me! You're a team all by yourself!
Yeah five hours for all that is pretty good time but we have had some practice over the last 4 months and had already done it a few times. Long story short when LSUTigers tranny tail shaft broke we pulled it and a decent running 304 to replace with a 360 I had bought about 5 months prior that was said to be running. After a complete install it ended up having a cracked block. Pulled it. Pulled a great running 401 out of a waggy and dropped it in his jeep.

On to my short list now. Pretty much everything else it small 5 - 30 minute jobs which I can knock out here and there over the next week depending on how busy work is.
  • Press ujoints in to rear drive shaft, grease zert and install. I need re tube my front shaft since it is bent but cant spend the cash right now so I will be without it for a bit. Also got a spare from LSUTiger but the splines are damaged. Got a price quote of $150.
  • Replace speedo cable. Old one has a broken end cap and does not stay attached to the tcase.
  • Install shocks.
  • Replace lower rat hose. Current one has a small cut from over tighten.
  • Fill engine, tcase, and tranny oils and oil filter
  • Install shift levers, tunnel cover, and boots
  • Install new tcase vent line
  • Install new clutch linkage. I bought a new linkage kit to replace everything from the pedal to the bell house.

So I thinks thats it... Have all the above already purchased and painted just a matter of getting it in. I am so ready to be done and driving. Think the hard top is coming off for good the day it starts running
Unread 02-27-2011, 11:07 PM   #144
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post

It would have made riping the paint factory apart look like a episode of the Smurfs!
Unread 02-28-2011, 06:17 AM   #145
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

Good catch with the glove. That would have been a painful lesson if you hadn't caught it.

Where did you get your flywheel and clutch set?

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 06:23 AM   #146
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglekeeper View Post
Good catch with the glove. That would have been a painful lesson if you hadn't caught it.

Where did you get your flywheel and clutch set?
Straight from Advanced, made in China baby!
Unread 02-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #147
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Man, I missed some good progress!!! Was fun to catch up on though!!! In a sick sort of way, glad the glove was in there and you caught it... It will remind me later to look for gloves!!! I liked the pics of the underside... That thing looks good with the painted driveline!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #148
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Hey guys, over the next 3 weeks I am planning on rebuilding T176 tranny, replacing tcase seals, replacing u joints, replacing clutch, clutch hardware, fly........

I was so optimistic back then saying 3 weeks. With Friday officially being 3 months into the project I am happy to report that tomorrow I have about 3 -4 hours blocked out for some jeep working. Its been a busy long week and it will be nice to get some good jeeping time in. Kind of excited!
Unread 03-04-2011, 04:45 AM   #149
1983 CJ7 

I got serious on my build around 11/9/09 with a finish date of 10/15/10, on 3/4/11 I still have parts scattered from the second floor attic storage, to the dining room and out to the garage
Unread 03-04-2011, 06:11 AM   #150
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
I was so optimistic back then saying 3 weeks. With Friday officially being 3 months into the project I am happy to report that tomorrow I have about 3 -4 hours blocked out for some jeep working. Its been a busy long week and it will be nice to get some good jeeping time in. Kind of excited!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
I got serious on my build around 11/9/09 with a finish date of 10/15/10, on 3/4/11 I still have parts scattered from the second floor attic storage, to the dining room and out to the garage
Oh man, I know what you guys mean. I'm closing in on a year into my build and a conservative estimate is two years to completion. Funny how I remember my optimism when I started. Despite everything I read on this site about planning three years for a build and double the budget, I puffed out my chest, proudly announced to wifey I'd be done in a year and end up with a vehicle worth twice what I put into it. NOT! Live and learn... But....that's OK, it sure is fun

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.