JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   MoC's Build Thread (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/mocs-build-thread-1135640/)

MoC 12-01-2010 09:30 PM

MoC's Build Thread

Hey guys, over the next 3 weeks I am planning on rebuilding T176 tranny, replacing tcase seals, replacing u joints, replacing clutch and clutch hardware. This will be my first tranny rebuilt attempt and from what I have read here I think it is defiantly do able on my end. Also planning on painting tcase and tranny, drive shafts, and frame & tub area from engine back to gas tank. Using the Novak rebuilt kit. So its going to be a little project. So my first question is for the guys that have rebuilt the t176 how long did it you to just do the rebuilt from start to finish?

I will post pictures from start to finish along the way.

Badshot 12-02-2010 12:19 AM

I just finished my 177, which is pretty much the same as the 176. Not really all that difficult. I took a picture of the top side when I got the shifter cover off to help me when I put it back together. Saved me a lot of trouble.

MoC 12-02-2010 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badshot (Post 10547266)
I just finished my 177, which is pretty much the same as the 176. Not really all that difficult. I took a picture of the top side when I got the shifter cover off to help me when I put it back together. Saved me a lot of trouble.

I have a spare 176 with a broken shaft to use as a referance. So how long did it take you do to the actual rebuilt portion. Not cleaning painting etc. just the rebuilt.

Eaglekeeper 12-02-2010 10:25 AM

Take a look at the pics on my build starting at #73 and the first few pages of Daves build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/da...-build-891652/. His build really helped me a lot, as did some PM's from yellow85cj:thumbsup:.

It took me about 8 hours of actual work over a weekend, but my tranny was already out and on the bench. Lot easier than I thought it would be. Good luck.

John Strenk 12-02-2010 12:44 PM

Mine took about 3 months. 4 hours to tear it down, procrastinate a while, and 4 hours to put it back together. :)

MoC 12-04-2010 01:19 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Made some progress this morning. With some LSUTiger help we had everything down in about 1.5 hours. Took the tcase, tranny, and skid down as one. Came down easy. Tons of grease and oil everywhere. The fly wheel is worst off than I was hoping for. The ring gear has two bad spots, little bit small blue spots, and 2 scraps that are deep. Going to price out resurfacing it and replaceing the ring gear to see if it is just easier to get a clean replacement.

MoC 12-04-2010 01:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
When it all came out found that part of the tranny mount was broken. Also was missing 4 bolts out of the bellhousing.

So thats it for this weekend. I am thinking next weekend I an going to degrease and clean frame and under the tub saturday. Then sunday prime and paint it tub underside and frame.

MoC 12-14-2010 07:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Made a little progress this weekend and today. Spent about 9 hours wire wheeling & degreasing and got the frame and under side of the tub cleaned up. Most of the underside was covered with 1/8 - 1/4 inch of crude from 24 years of leaks and abuse. Put a coat of white primer on everything and painted the pipes with black high temp paint. Next is a 2 coats of paintable rubberized coating and then 2 coats of gloss black. Tranny rebuilt kit will be here friday so I guess I will get on that next.

ChaseB 12-14-2010 07:46 PM

Wow, that looks incredible! I'm too lazy to do mine but these pics are motivation!!!

MoC 12-14-2010 08:08 PM

Thanks Chase! It was so dirty that I have to throw away the pair of coveralls I worn to do it in. Know way if all that grease they were making it in to my washing machine. About 1/2 though I started getting real tired of doing it but the end product is worth it. Going to paint the bellhousing, tranny, and tcase gloss grey.

brownbagg 12-14-2010 08:13 PM

why do people paint their tranny and transfer, the paint serve no purpose but waste of money.

Trapshooter 12-14-2010 08:16 PM

MoC...WOW what a difference. Nice Job :thumbsup:

Its amazing what a bunch of elbow grease will do. Keep the pics coming :highfive:

ChaseB 12-14-2010 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownbagg (Post 10621492)
why do people paint their tranny and transfer, the paint serve no purpose but waste of money.

Knowing it looks nice even if no one else can see it :D

Peace of mind!

243 12-14-2010 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoC (Post 10621281)
Made a little progress this weekend and today. Spent about 9 hours wire wheeling & degreasing and got the frame and under side of the tub cleaned up. Most of the underside was covered with 1/8 - 1/4 inch of crude from 24 years of leaks and abuse. Put a coat of white primer on everything and painted the pipes with black high temp paint. Next is a 2 coats of paintable rubberized coating and then 2 coats of gloss black. Tranny rebuilt kit will be here friday so I guess I will get on that next.

It looks great!

MoC 12-14-2010 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownbagg (Post 10621492)

I am putting around $650 total in to this little project so the extra $10 -$15 dollars in paint it will cost me to do the tcase and tranny to make it all look nice is worth it to me even if it serves no other purpose.

The time now is 08:32 AM.