MoC's Build Thread - Page 95 - JeepForum.com

 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1411 of 2044 Old 01-12-2013, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
MoC
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The otherside of your monitor...
Posts: 5,656
4 steps forward 1 step back... Why it this swap so f'ing cursed. Got the fenders tweaked so the flares rest flush and took it all back apart. Got the dipstick tube installed, other header installed, clutch linkage back in, and the steering shaft in.


Then...... While installing the carb the stupid base plate cracked.... Had all the studs in even and was running the bolts down. Had them all down even and was just snugging them up when I hear a light snap.. Cant win on this.... Ahh!!!

Attached Thumbnails
photo66.JPG   photo67.JPG  
MoC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1412 of 2044 Old 01-12-2013, 02:51 PM
rixcj
Web Wheeler
 
rixcj's Avatar
1979 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Saunderstown
Posts: 2,261
Man...that sucks! Makes me wonder what happened...

Usually, if both mating surfaces are flat and smooth, that shouldn't happen. Could there have been a speck of something between the surfaces, creating a little high spot?

Unless, something happened during the carb rebuild...



Rich

'79 CJ5, AMC 360, t-18/d20 twin stick, dana 30/amc20(Mosers), Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley 600, ps/pb, DUI HEI, 'glass tub/1pc. tilt nose, 33x12.50 BFG AT's.

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline  
post #1413 of 2044 Old 01-12-2013, 02:52 PM
GlennLever
Web Wheeler
 
GlennLever's Avatar
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Rochester
Posts: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
4 steps forward 1 step back... Why it this swap so f'ing cursed. Got the fenders tweaked so the flares rest flush and took it all back apart. Got the dipstick tube installed, other header installed, clutch linkage back in, and the steering shaft in.


Then...... While installing the carb the stupid base plate cracked.... Had all the studs in even and was running the bolts down. Had them all down even and was just snugging them up when I hear a light snap.. Cant win on this.... Ahh!!!
It's call "Hot Rodding", and is the "Fun" part of the build, correct?

I just spent two weeks dealing with DJ Safety to figure out my restraint system for the blower, wanted to spend $1100.00 with them for the bay and straps, would they ever call me back, no.

Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Web Site http://www.lever-family-racing.com

My restoration thread here on the Jeep forum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...build-1269301/
GlennLever is offline  
post #1414 of 2044 Old 01-12-2013, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
MoC
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The otherside of your monitor...
Posts: 5,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
Man...that sucks! Makes me wonder what happened...

Usually, if both mating surfaces are flat and smooth, that shouldn't happen. Could there have been a speck of something between the surfaces, creating a little high spot?

Unless, something happened during the carb rebuild...



Rich
Who knows Rich.. New gaskets and new plastic piece. Everything was flush as a can be. Once the bolts got finger tight I started to run them down a little each at a time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
It's call "Hot Rodding", and is the "Fun" part of the build, correct?

I just spent two weeks dealing with DJ Safety to figure out my restraint system for the blower, wanted to spend $1100.00 with them for the bay and straps, would they ever call me back, no.
Not the fun part Glenn. The fun part was over with the first problem I had. The other 3-4 are now just pains in the azz that are draining me...
MoC is offline  
post #1415 of 2044 Old 01-12-2013, 09:08 PM
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,478
Carb must have been stressed previously! Unless the plastic spacer is defective?? I'm saying this because I have pulled 4 of those carbs from the JY, in various stages of "decomposition", and I have never had that happen. But it doesn't make sense for National Carb to have caused that either. I would still give them a call and see what they say.

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
post #1416 of 2044 Old 01-13-2013, 08:02 AM
GlennLever
Web Wheeler
 
GlennLever's Avatar
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Rochester
Posts: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
---> This is them Glenn <---

I sent them the carb and for $149.95 they cleaned, polished, rebuilt, cleared, and ran it on a test engine.

Form their site "We recalibrated the carburetors for today's gas and remove the inherent problems like hesitations, flat-spots and hard hot starting. Every carburetor goes through a 3 step testing process, first a float bench and pump test, second a dyno flow bench test, and then a live engine test. All the adjustments are set for a bolt on and go carburetor."


Comes with a warranty as well. Could have done the work myself, but for the price and how well they cleaned it up it was money well spent.
I wonder if they do Webers? I think I will call them.

Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Web Site http://www.lever-family-racing.com

My restoration thread here on the Jeep forum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...build-1269301/
GlennLever is offline  
post #1417 of 2044 Old 01-13-2013, 08:03 AM
GlennLever
Web Wheeler
 
GlennLever's Avatar
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Rochester
Posts: 2,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Not the fun part Glenn. The fun part was over with the first problem I had. The other 3-4 are now just pains in the azz that are draining me...
I have to tell you I think I enjoy the build more than riding around.

Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Web Site http://www.lever-family-racing.com

My restoration thread here on the Jeep forum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...build-1269301/
GlennLever is offline  
post #1418 of 2044 Old 01-13-2013, 08:14 AM
Skerr
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs
Posts: 9,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
I have to tell you I think I enjoy the build more than riding around.
I enjoy the build, mostly, but I especially enjoy looking back at it. I could use a little of what you have.

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline  
post #1419 of 2044 Old 01-13-2013, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
MoC
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The otherside of your monitor...
Posts: 5,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
I have to tell you I think I enjoy the build more than riding around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I enjoy the build, mostly, but I especially enjoy looking back at it. I could use a little of what you have.
I do usually enjoy the build and have enjoyed this to a point. Just ready to be done and riding around. I enjoy the riding much more.
MoC is offline  
post #1420 of 2044 Old 01-15-2013, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
MoC
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The otherside of your monitor...
Posts: 5,656
Got a spare 2150 boxed up and sent off to be made pretty. Hood, grill, and fenders have been dropped off. Hoping this Craigslist paint guy does not mess that up.

It's 30 and slushing outside today. Took a old v8 dizzy and ground the cam gear off the end. Stuck a drill in the end and got the engine primed. Took a while but finally picked up. Was a little worried since I did not back the oil pump with Vaseline but worked out well.

Maybe a carb back in 7-9 days...
Attached Thumbnails
image-1067928979.jpg   image-3800913707.jpg  

Under A Sun Thats See It All Before...
MoC is offline  
post #1421 of 2044 Old 01-15-2013, 01:34 PM
tractor1
Registered User
1979 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lost In IL.
Posts: 578
Did you call National Carbs on the base plate

1979 CJ5 304 T150 Dana 20 under construction
1993 Wrangler 4.0 HO AX15 231 4 lift 33 12.5 15 DD
1994 Wrangler 2.5 AX5 231 Stock Sold
1973 Cj5 304 T15 Dana20 Sold


tractor1 is offline  
post #1422 of 2044 Old 01-15-2013, 01:38 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler
 
Matt1981CJ7's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elbert
Posts: 16,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor1 View Post
Did you call National Carbs on the base plate
I was wondering the same thing, tractor.

I believe all of their carbs are warranted, and since they also run test them, it's possible they'll cover it.

Worth asking....

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline  
post #1423 of 2044 Old 01-15-2013, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
MoC
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The otherside of your monitor...
Posts: 5,656
Have not crossed that bridge yet. Ever since the delays I encountered with them early on I have been dealing directly with the owner since around New Years. I sent the rebuilt / broken one back along with another 2150 I had. They had 2150's cores in stock however none were linkage wise the same as the one I sent. The plan is to make the 2 in to one using the same jets that were in the one originally off the one that came with the engine.

I will add this. I did have some issues with them rebuilding the first carb as far as the time it took. The owner steeped in and made things right for me and next dayed it to me when done. He also spent 30 + minutes on the phone talking with me after the fact and invited me on a tour of their operation if I was ever in town. In my eyes they are a great company and have more than righted the the delays they had. I think what impressed me most was that the owner has been talking to me and dealing with me directly. They did 30 million in sales last year. My carb is peanuts in the scheme of their business however the owner still make time for me. That speaks volumes. I would recommended them to anyone. Bulltear on the other hand never once said Sorry or tried to right their wrongs..
MoC is offline  
post #1424 of 2044 Old 01-15-2013, 04:01 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler
 
Matt1981CJ7's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elbert
Posts: 16,700
MoC,

It won't surprise me if National Carbs sends the second re-built carb to you for free.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline  
post #1425 of 2044 Old 01-15-2013, 08:10 PM
MrBeast
Registered User
1980 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Livingston/Houston
Posts: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Have not crossed that bridge yet. Ever since the delays I encountered with them early on I have been dealing directly with the owner since around New Years. I sent the rebuilt / broken one back along with another 2150 I had. They had 2150's cores in stock however none were linkage wise the same as the one I sent. The plan is to make the 2 in to one using the same jets that were in the one originally off the one that came with the engine.

I will add this. I did have some issues with them rebuilding the first carb as far as the time it took. The owner steeped in and made things right for me and next dayed it to me when done. He also spent 30 + minutes on the phone talking with me after the fact and invited me on a tour of their operation if I was ever in town. In my eyes they are a great company and have more than righted the the delays they had. I think what impressed me most was that the owner has been talking to me and dealing with me directly. They did 30 million in sales last year. My carb is peanuts in the scheme of their business however the owner still make time for me. That speaks volumes. I would recommended them to anyone. Bulltear on the other hand never once said Sorry or tried to right their wrongs..
I am not buying a Bulltear serpentine drive now because of the issues you had with them. Not going to support a company that can't stand behind their product.

"He used to be a pretty nice feller, now he's a welder"

80 CJ7 "The Kraken" - a project 25 years in the making AMC 304 V8, NV4500, Dana 300, Dana 44, 9 inch, M.O.R.E. SRS, YJ tub.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt
(When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults)
MrBeast is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
86 CJ Build Thread JimNut Jeep CJ Forum 18 07-03-2012 06:54 AM
19?? CJ7 build thread biker250 Jeep CJ Forum 96 12-27-2010 06:10 AM
Build Thread for my '84 CJ erik5387 Jeep CJ Forum 19 05-29-2008 01:05 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome