Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

MoC's Build Thread

286K views 2K replies 120 participants last post by  Jim1611 
#1 ·
Hey guys, over the next 3 weeks I am planning on rebuilding T176 tranny, replacing tcase seals, replacing u joints, replacing clutch and clutch hardware. This will be my first tranny rebuilt attempt and from what I have read here I think it is defiantly do able on my end. Also planning on painting tcase and tranny, drive shafts, and frame & tub area from engine back to gas tank. Using the Novak rebuilt kit. So its going to be a little project. So my first question is for the guys that have rebuilt the t176 how long did it you to just do the rebuilt from start to finish?

I will post pictures from start to finish along the way.

#142 ·
That's amazing that you caught the glove. I can't imagine what your post would have been like if you hadn't!!!!! :rolleyes:

If you and Brady can get that much done in 2 1/2 hours, I want you to come to MY house and help me! You're a team all by yourself!

#143 ·
That's amazing that you caught the glove. I can't imagine what your post would have been like if you hadn't!!!!! :rolleyes:

If you and Brady can get that much done in 2 1/2 hours, I want you to come to MY house and help me! You're a team all by yourself!
Yeah five hours for all that is pretty good time but we have had some practice over the last 4 months and had already done it a few times. Long story short when LSUTigers tranny tail shaft broke we pulled it and a decent running 304 to replace with a 360 I had bought about 5 months prior that was said to be running. After a complete install it ended up having a cracked block. Pulled it. Pulled a great running 401 out of a waggy and dropped it in his jeep.

On to my short list now. Pretty much everything else it small 5 - 30 minute jobs which I can knock out here and there over the next week depending on how busy work is.

• Press ujoints in to rear drive shaft, grease zert and install. I need re tube my front shaft since it is bent but cant spend the cash right now so I will be without it for a bit. Also got a spare from LSUTiger but the splines are damaged. Got a price quote of $150.
  • Replace speedo cable. Old one has a broken end cap and does not stay attached to the tcase.
  • Install shocks.
  • Replace lower rat hose. Current one has a small cut from over tighten.
  • Fill engine, tcase, and tranny oils and oil filter
  • Install shift levers, tunnel cover, and boots
  • Install new tcase vent line
  • Install new clutch linkage. I bought a new linkage kit to replace everything from the pedal to the bell house.

So I thinks thats it... Have all the above already purchased and painted just a matter of getting it in. I am so ready to be done and driving. Think the hard top is coming off for good the day it starts running :cheers:

#147 ·
Man, I missed some good progress!!! Was fun to catch up on though!!! In a sick sort of way, glad the glove was in there and you caught it... It will remind me later to look for gloves!!! I liked the pics of the underside... That thing looks good with the painted driveline!!!

#148 ·
:salute:
Hey guys, over the next 3 weeks I am planning on rebuilding T176 tranny, replacing tcase seals, replacing u joints, replacing clutch, clutch hardware, fly........
I was so optimistic back then saying 3 weeks. With Friday officially being 3 months into the project I am happy to report that tomorrow I have about 3 -4 hours blocked out for some jeep working. Its been a busy long week and it will be nice to get some good jeeping time in. Kind of excited!

#150 ·
I was so optimistic back then saying 3 weeks. With Friday officially being 3 months into the project I am happy to report that tomorrow I have about 3 -4 hours blocked out for some jeep working. Its been a busy long week and it will be nice to get some good jeeping time in. Kind of excited!
I got serious on my build around 11/9/09 with a finish date of 10/15/10, on 3/4/11 I still have parts scattered from the second floor attic storage, to the dining room and out to the garage :D
Oh man, I know what you guys mean. I'm closing in on a year into my build and a conservative estimate is two years to completion. Funny how I remember my optimism when I started:laugh:. Despite everything I read on this site about planning three years for a build and double the budget, I puffed out my chest, proudly announced to wifey I'd be done in a year and end up with a vehicle worth twice what I put into it. NOT! Live and learn...:D But....that's OK, it sure is fun:thumbsup:

#151 ·
This thread is killer, MoC, I didn't know you had rebuilt and minted out this CJ--killer job. Oh, are you gonna have fun in NM. Am back. Taking photos for all the requests for same. Too cool.

Slap on da winches......

Well done, sir,

Robert

#153 ·
........and you, I assume, getting ready to shoot the xxxx if it doesn't straighten itself out, there in your avatar. I just love it!! I have threatened over a million times to blast VEX with the 12 gauge if he does not pull himself together. Almost shot VEX yesterday in the stuck.......Too funny.

Sometimes, he acts like a Ford Pinto or a Volvo.......which?

Robert

#154 ·
So getting ready to go buy a new starter. I noticed it's teeth are a little boogered and I just did replace the flywheel since it's ring gear was boogered as well. Better safe than sorry! Have gotten rear drive shaft installed, engine tranny and tcase oils in, lower rad hose replaced. Will be starting today for sure and hope to drive as well. Would like to get starter installed, tcase and tranny shifters in, and clutch linkage in within the next 3 hours.

#157 ·
Well got the new starter installed. Clipped on the reverse light and 4wd wires on. Inspection cover on. Pulled the remaining old clutch linkage. Installed the new clutch pedal to bellcrack rod and rubber piece. Stopped and ate some dinner. Installed the tranny and tcase shifters. Filled the rad. Installed new clutch linkage. Since I added my 1 inch body lift I have always noticed the clutch pedal to bellcrank rod rubbed in the bottom of its designed hole in the fire wall. Cut the hole out a little lower. Filled her up with water and wait for wait for wait for it

Started it her up for the first time in 3 months!!

Let it idle for about 20 minutes then
DROVE IT!

Went about 10 minutes to LSUtigers house. Clutch needed a little adjustment was slipping a little under load and not engaging until the pedal was almost all the way up. So let her cool down a bit and adjusted the clutch a bit. Drove her back the 10 minutes home and the clutch was much better but I think I am going to go a bit more in on the clutch but its pretty close.

Did I mention I drove it!!

So the only news GREAT news is there are no leaks!!!

So pretty happy about all this. I still need to get the shocks back on, install the new speedo cable, and install the tunnel cover and boot. Also now that it has been driven and did sit through 3 months of cold not running I am going to check oil pan, motor mount, valve cover, and intake and exhaust bolts. In order to get all this work time in today I had to promise very little jeep working this weekend which is fine since I do need some family time. Planing on washing and shining her up tomorrow and finishing all that little stuff sunday.

Also on the good side I noticed that with all new motor and tranny mounts the engine sits more off the firewall which is always a plus. On the bad side I still need to get my front drive shaft retubed. Measured the rear and it needs to go longer as well. Think as of right now I only have about 3/4 - 1 inch of travel out before it bottoms out.

Will post up some final reassembly and after wash pictures tomorrow.

#161 ·
I hate you… no, I don't… Just jealous!!! :)

I can't believed that you're not still driving it!!!

#162 ·
Thanks guys. Just went for a quick run to the bank and circle K in the rain. Had to pull the doors off to make it fun. Think I am going to hold off on any more drives to I adjust the clutch out a little more. Just barely feels like it is still slipping a little. Also on the down side I did just find a 1/4 drop of oil where the inspection cover and bellhouse meet. Could not tell where it was from. To wet to go crawling under it right now so it will have to be a mystery of now. Damm oil leak!

#163 ·
Well just went and looked in the wet again. Still no drops on the ground and nothing new. My guess is the rear of the 1 piece oil pan gasket did not seat properly. When I put the pan up it kind of felt like it went in funny but was to late to turn back at that point. Guess worst case I am pulling the motor mount again and replacing the 1 piece gasket next weekend.

#164 ·
So, its raining like the tropics over there in Shreveport? Typical. Love that country over there on my way to KSC, and love going to New Iberia Is. to Tobasco plant, but it sure can be wet back your way.

This whole thread on what you are doing to your Jeep is just killer fun and great read. Great work.

It is pushing 80 and sunny as usual here in Las Cruces. Working on my stuck photos and rescue with rear winch now for posting.

Do you have CV joints and big DLs in Red?

Robert

#167 ·
I got Goosebumps Baby!! :cheers2: Now that you're in the game you can hold off the enemy while we continue to fix ours! :rofl: Just... need... a... little... more... time!

#171 ·
Thanks guys! Put a few more miles on her sunday. If the weather plays nice tomorrow morning I am going to do some more work. I was tunning yesterday and noticed a spark plug wire moving. Shut her down and checked and sure enough 3 out of 6 were loose enough to turn by hand. Then the rain came. Anyway got me thinking that since she sat for 3 months of very cold weather that before I start her back up again would not be a bad idea to check and made sure everything is still nice and tight. Planning on checking valve cover and exhaust & intake bolts. Also since I have put a few miles on I am going to recheck oil pan, tranny, tcase etc and make sure it is all nice and tight. After than planning on putting my shocks back on and installing my new speedo cable. I still have the tunnel cover and shifter boots to install but have run in to a little problem that I need to address first. When I sprayed the underside with primer I did not seal the tunnel and some specks ended up in the interior floor. Soooo going to wait on putting the tunnel cover back on till I clean the interior floors and repaint over it. I painted all my interior tub back in june so its all pretty fresh still. Just going to paint the tunnel and floor pans black again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.