Mixed up lifters - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Mixed up lifters

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-09-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
Sundowners
1985 CJ7 

Mixed up lifters

I'm in the process of tearing into my 258 and I was very pleasant to see that the engine was just recently rebuilt sometime before I aquired the jeep. I still wanted to check everything to make sure that the previous rebuilder didn't take any short cuts. Well I took the head off, and pulled out the pushrods a couple of days ago. I kept everything organized and in line. Just today I went to rotate the block to take the oil pan off and I forgot all about the lifters. Needless to say, the lifters went all over the floor. I wouldn't of cared but these lifters look almost brand new. I looked them over and I didn't see any nicks in them from hitting the floor. Would you recomment reusing the lifters? I'm thinking that since they have very little wear, I'll just clean them up, and throw them in. But, they will not be in their original locations. What do you think?

Thanks,
Brian

Sundowners is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

most will say that lifters and the cam need to be replaced as a new set. When I had a ticking lifter, I was able to replace just the lifters as the bottoms were very flat and show no signs of being scored or concave. I ran another 100K with no problems....so yes, if the lobes and the lifter bottoms are perfect, they will rewear and rematch so to speak. It's a small gamble, but I would do it. If you did overlook a nick or dent, it will show itself when you try to slide it back in...any resistence....stop and inspect it.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 08:18 PM   #3
slickrickc17
2008 JK Wrangler 

Do NOT mix them. If you do not put them in their orginal places you will have problems no matter how "broke in" they are
slickrickc17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2010, 05:56 AM   #4
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

^^ ditto on what slickrickc17 said ^^

Cam and lifters are worn in as a matched sets and should never be mixed. You can try new lifters, but you may end up taking out the cam lobes in the process.

Once a lifter "sets in" to a particular lobe, you should never mix them up.
Unread 01-10-2010, 06:58 AM   #5
Sundowners
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
^^ ditto on what slickrickc17 said ^^

Cam and lifters are worn in as a matched sets and should never be mixed. You can try new lifters, but you may end up taking out the cam lobes in the process.

Once a lifter "sets in" to a particular lobe, you should never mix them up.
Crap!, This is very disappointing to me. The cam and lifters look brand new. Looks like i just threw away $150+ due to my stupidity

Anyone recommend a good cam for a stock motor? I'll be running the junkyard tbi and maybe headers.
Unread 01-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #6
Thumperk15
1992 XJ Cherokee 

New lifters can go on a old cam. You must never mix them but you can buy new lifters and it'll be ok.
Thumperk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 04:42 AM   #7
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperk15 View Post
New lifters can go on a old cam. You must never mix them but you can buy new lifters and it'll be ok.
X2. You can always put new lifters on an old cam.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 05:45 AM   #8
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

The general rule is to keep everyone item you pull from the engine in an organized arrangement so they go back into their original locations and orientation during assembly. Pistons, Rods, Lifters, Push Rods, Rockers and even bolts and bearings as these items have been fitted and worn together since assembly. But when it comes to valve tappets or lifters you have only one surface contact area to worry about as most of rebuilds do not include new push rods and rockers and most of the time you reuse your old ones that you kept in order during removal. In my opinion, you have a very low risk of developing a valve ticking on a freshly rebuilt engine with low mileage if you decide to reuse the lifters that fell out. I would however, apply some break-in lube to both surfaces of the lifters and cam before startup. A cam lobe and bottom surface of the lifter would need to show signs of being polished in order to be of concern since most lifters will rotate within the engine as they move up and down. If the bottom of the lifters show any signs of grooving, concaving or are polished, then you would need to replace them as a set. A new set of lifters will cost you anywhere from $170.00 to $200.00 bucks.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 07:14 AM   #9
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I have to agree with Keith. If they look and are new, the odds are they haven't been broken in yet. If you are worried, you can run a straight edge across the bottoms of them to see how big a divot is there. No divot, no real worries as far as I know.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 07:32 AM   #10
cj5752
1975 CJ5 

Have reused cam and lifters not knowing the original order in dirt track engines before. Have had no problems. It's not ideal but I would do it. You will only have a problem if there was already a wear problem started.
cj5752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2010, 08:26 AM   #11
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

I have also reused mixed lifters without issues (use a very straight edge and a very strong light to inspect the bottoms). I have also experienced issues after replacing both cam and lifters (did everything right, but the manufacturer didn't; bad cam heat treating).
Its mostly a matter of luck, if you are lucky it will work..."Do you feel lucky?"...

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 12:50 AM   #12
fredrok
1985 CJ7 

Where the hell are you guys shopping? Stock Sealed Power lifters are $5 a piece. And yes; absolutely, positively replace them. It's a foolish gamble not to for $60-70.

BTW, lifters that are new or not worn are not flat. The face actually has a crown.

Last edited by fredrok; 01-12-2010 at 12:57 AM.. Reason: Added
fredrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 07:11 AM   #13
cj5752
1975 CJ5 

Fredrok is correct that the lifters will have a crown. I still would reuse since the engine has very little time on it. Any problem it will have it was gonna have anyway. Also one thing you may want to remeber in the future that will save a ton of money. IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!
cj5752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2010, 09:10 AM   #14
fredrok
1985 CJ7 

Not me. New is great cheap insurance.
Unread 01-13-2010, 07:52 AM   #15
Sundowners
1985 CJ7 

Thanks everyone for there experience and advice,

Summit has Sealed Power lifters for $3.50.
I found lifter for $2.44 through FastEngineParts.com, The guy said that they are made by Jansen... has anyone heard of those?

At these prices, I'm at least replacing the lifters.

I started looking at Cam and Lifter kits, The Jeep Rebuilders book that I have (by Moses) suggested Comp Cams 252 Camshaft for good torque. It is suppose to be a direct replacement.

I take it that I do not have to change valve springs with this cam?
Will this cam work well with a 4.0l head swap if I decide to do that in the future?
Also, It says that this cam is not for fuel injection. Why is that? I 'm planning on doing the "junkyard" TBI conversion. Can I still use this cam?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.