mitsubishi j54 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > mitsubishi j54

Get DBA Brake Rotors From ExtremeTerrain.com!Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-16-2007, 03:36 PM   #1
acmatman

mitsubishi j54

Hi to all,I just bought a Mitsubishi J54(diesel),its in good condition,and probally ex Japanese Army.Though I would not bet on that.The chassis number is J54 11775.I am in Ireland and the vehicle was imported from the UK some time ago.I need to buy some parts ,a water pump ,a front wheel gaiter and some brake parts,a conopy and some doors would be nice.Nobody over here has ever heard of this model.Can anybody point me in the right direction with regard to a good parts supplier in Europe.Does a list exist of chassis numbers so I could verify the date of manfacture as per the chassis number, the vehicle is registered as 1970.Ihope somebody can help??

acmatman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2007, 03:53 PM   #2
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

so I'm guessing it's really close to this;

http://www.luxuryimports.ca/forsale/1976J54-1/index.php

there is another gent on here who has a red one, but darned if i can remeber his screen name...

here are some links from the above sight, perhaps they'll be of some help:
http://www.luxuryimports.ca/links/mitsubishi.php

and sorry, but I couldn't even begin to tell you about parts.

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...

Last edited by JoonHoss; 08-16-2007 at 04:16 PM..
JoonHoss is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2008, 10:43 PM   #3
Rick7

Mitsubishi J54 parts source?

I also bought a 1978 Mitsubishi J54 diesel here in the USA. It is a wonderful vehicle. Any suggestions on parts sources, either USA, Europe or Japan? I suppose there must be sources in Japan for these parts, but my inability to read and speak Japanese prevents me from searching their web sites. Rick

iknoian@comcast.net
Rick7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2008, 06:38 AM   #4
sgtbookie
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Guy with the red one is probably the same guy who has picks posted over on Jeep Unlimited, here is a link to a thread he started over there: http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=867366
sgtbookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2008, 05:49 PM   #5
97MilitaryTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well I am fixing to buy a 87 J45 turbo diesel and there are parts everywhere over here. Let me know what you need and I can get you a price.

[B]BLACK JEEP CLUB MEMBER #1997[/B]
[B]2008 National Topless Day Participant #1[/B]
[******][/******]
97MilitaryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2008, 06:15 PM   #6
Rick7

Parts.

I would appreciate connections on this. I have a 1978 Mitsubishi J54 with the 4DR5 diesel. this is the short wheel base version. At this time, I need a few things such as-.

Engine thermostat
Top and bottom radiator hoses
Clutch kit- (pressure plate, Disc, throwout and pilot bearings)
Clutch master cylinder kit or whole assembly
Brake master cylinder kit or whole assembly
Clutch slave cylinder kit
Front brake shoes

My soft top is also getting ratty. I am interested in a source for the replacment top which will fit the factory bows. The american CJ3B tops will not work because the body shell has somewhat different demensions.
My direct email is iknoian@comcast.net

Also- do you have recommendation on a buisness which has a general catalog and or sells general parts for these?

Thank you! Rick

Last edited by Rick7; 01-27-2008 at 06:28 PM..
Unread 01-27-2008, 07:50 PM   #7
97MilitaryTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick7
I would appreciate connections on this. I have a 1978 Mitsubishi J54 with the 4DR5 diesel. this is the short wheel base version. At this time, I need a few things such as-.

Engine thermostat
Top and bottom radiator hoses
Clutch kit- (pressure plate, Disc, throwout and pilot bearings)
Clutch master cylinder kit or whole assembly
Brake master cylinder kit or whole assembly
Clutch slave cylinder kit
Front brake shoes

My soft top is also getting ratty. I am interested in a source for the replacment top which will fit the factory bows. The american CJ3B tops will not work because the body shell has somewhat different demensions.
My direct email is iknoian@comcast.net

Also- do you have recommendation on a buisness which has a general catalog and or sells general parts for these?

Thank you! Rick

Rick,

Nice looking ride. Well I don't know if you are familiar with Japanese parts Vendors, but they will require your VIN and build date, before they will look up a part. It's not like in the states where you can tell them what you have and what part you need. Is your model a turbo or non turbo? This will be my first one to buy. Do you enjoy yours? Thanks for any info you can shoot me my way. Give me a couple days to locate some parts. My wife is Japanese, so talking to the locals is easier for her.

Couple questions:

Color of top desired?
Disk or drums?
Performance clutch kit or stock?

Later, Kent

[B]BLACK JEEP CLUB MEMBER #1997[/B]
[B]2008 National Topless Day Participant #1[/B]
[******][/******]
97MilitaryTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2008, 09:02 PM   #8
Rick7

Kent-

The vin is J54-07842, May 1978. It is the non-turbo 4DR5 diesel version. It is great jeep to run around town in and is a kick to drive. It also gets some interesting looks from those who think they are familar with the various Jeep models, but when they look closer they discover they are not as familar as they think. It is based on the 50's vintage USA CJ3B but with many differences. It is kind of like having an old flat-fender jeep, but modernized. This has the 4 speed transmission. It does great off-road, though I avoid the huge rocks because of the tire size. It gets great fuel milage, but not as much as some others try to claim. I am looking for parts equivelent to stock, no hi-perf stuff. The top would be good in grey, but I am flexible. I am looking for a replacement top which will fit the original factory bows. I can provide further pictures if that helps.

Thanks. Rick
iknoian@comcast.net

Last edited by Rick7; 01-27-2008 at 10:58 PM..
Unread 03-02-2008, 10:12 AM   #9
Rick7

Kent-- How is you J54 doing?-

Kent-

I understand you have found a Mitsubishi Jeep. How is it going for you. Also-- any luck on finding a parts source I can contact, especially for the replacment soft top? Thank you! Rick, USA
Unread 09-04-2008, 08:20 AM   #10
Invicta
1975 J-Series Truck 

J26 here in UK

acmatman,

I can't really help other than to tell you what you already know - getting parts for these trucks is like finding hens teeth.

If I come across anyone I'll pass their details on. If you could do the same that would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Bernard
Invicta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2008, 03:21 PM   #11
jacobgreeneye
1977 J-Series Truck 

Hey friend
I could use some help getting a soft top for my j54.........1977 non-turbo vin J5406025.....thanks....jacob
jacobgreeneye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2008, 05:15 PM   #12
Rick7

J54 Top

Is your J54 the llater extended width model? -- 76 was about the year the change occured. The earlier Mitsubishi Jeeps were the same dimensions as the earlier USA Jeeps, such as the CJ3B. The later ones had an extended rear tub width and length.
Unread 09-07-2008, 05:01 AM   #13
Invicta
1975 J-Series Truck 

Sources I've found so far for my J26:

Waterpump (Rebuilt) APB Trading - Hartlebury Nr Kidderminster, Worcs. UK

Replacement Soft Top (Not Vinyl as per original) - All Wheel Trim - Witney, Oxfordshire. UK

Clutch Slave Cylinder Innards - I took the original to a parts wholesales and they measured the bore then sold me a suitable one. I then swapped worn innards for new.

Brake shoes - I got them re-shoed via a lacal garage that specilaises in Classic/Vintage cars.
Rear Brake cylinders - Replaced with a pair from a Series II Landrover

Work on the Block & Head was done via my local Mitsubishi dealer who used an engineering company ( they won't tell me who). Inscidentally Mitsubishi ,like most manufacturers, seem to be new vehicle sales orientated here in the UK.

Radiator re cored and restored by Cheltenham raidators (UK).

16" rims from Jeeparts - Shrewsbury. UK

All the people mentioned are on the web.

Other parts I get by taking the original along to parts wholesalers and asking what they have that is similar. And not to forget the local scrap yards which have been the source for various bits'n'bobs.

I've also found a couple of other enthusiasts e.g. Chap in Bangkok got in touch and supplied me with rear light lenses after I broke mine reversing my trailer! ! Plus Jap Mad - via the Pajero and Landrover Crazy site have also been helpful. The people at Birty Dastards site have also been a sound source of advice and tips.

If you get in touch mention me (I am the only J26 driver in the UK) as I always like to help businesses out when I can.

I've tried a Japanese parts site but due to the exchange rate the prices were too high for me to proceed.

HTH
Bern
Tewkesbury
Invicta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2008, 07:06 PM   #14
Rick7

Mitsubishi J54 parts and information

So far, I “adapt”, as you have, as I have not found a supplier to order specific application parts. The earlier Mitsubishi Jeeps had much that was interchangeable with the early USA Jeeps. The newer the Mitsubishi Jeep, the less is directly interchangeable, particularly after about 1974.

The brake shoes on the early models, both front and rear, are nearly the same as a 1963 Jeep CJ5 with 9” brakes, but I did need to weld an extra tab on them. The later Mitsubishi Jeeps do not require the tab addition, but the front shoes are entirely different and a larger diameter. I have not looked to try to find an equivalent. As long as the lining is not worn through, relining is the best option.

The diesel 4DR5 engine was used by Mitsubishi in industrial applications, i.e. forklifts, many parts can be ordered from a Mitsubishi forklift dealer, but the engine has not been used for that purpose for some time, so it takes effort to find part numbers or interchanges so the dealer can order.

The earlier model Mitsubishi Jeeps use a 3-speed transmission which is close to the USA Jeep Warner T90 and many parts will work. The later ones use a 4-speed and I do not know what other vehicles use an equivalent 4-speed, I would be interested in this information if someone knows.

The transfer case is close to the Warner model 18 used in the USA Jeeps before about 1971, with the dual shift levers, but the internal gearing is different. In high range, the ratio provides approximately an 8% overdrive rather than the 1:1 of the USA model.

The steering is completely different from the USA models. I am sure tie rod ends could be matched with some effort. I have no idea about the steering box or pitman arm bearings, but these components do seem rather stout. I suggest keeping these well greased and being sure the rubber boots are in place to keep moisture out.

Brake hoses can be matched. NAPA has a good reference catalog (Brake illustrated parts catalog- BPIPG-06) with size references and pictures with dimensions which help for ID. The Mitsubishi uses metric hoses for the brake system and the hydraulic hoses. The rubber parts, cups and dust boots, can be matched from a parts house and the wheel cylinders are in inch measurements, so internal USA parts interchange easily. If the cylinders are too corroded, they can be honed or re-sleeved as needed. I do not have information on the rebuild or replacement equivalents for the brake master cylinder, or clutch hydraulics and I would be interested in this if someone has an idea.

The earlier models, about pre 1976, used the same size body tub as a 1957 Jeep CJ3B. The soft top kit from the USA Jeep goes right on. The later ones were widened and lengthened at bit behind the front seats, and the door openings are a bit longer, I had an upholstery shop make a replacement top to fit the factory bows. It was a bit complicated and it would be a lot easier to find a source pre-made.

The alternator can be rebuilt by any rebuild shop. I do not know what regulator would be an equivalent interchange for the 24 volt system.
Unread 12-29-2008, 09:21 PM   #15
Japan4x4

I am not a registered vendor with this site so I will keep it short and simple.

I can and do source parts for these and ship world wide. I am sure a few of the names I have seen here are former customers.

Drop me a line at sales@japan4x4.com and tell me what you need and I will do what I can.
Japan4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.