mirrors folding in - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > mirrors folding in

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
hotrod351
1955 M-38 

mirrors folding in

years back i bought a set of mirrors for a cj-5, black. there the type every one sells and they looked great but no matter what i did they would fold in on me when doing 60 mph. i tightened the pivot point up really tight but at times would still do it. i thought you were suppose to be able get out and fold them in when you go off roading to keep form tearing them up but it seems id have to set them then drill a alignment hole though the arm and mounting bracket to install a pin. are there better rubber bushings for them.

hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
hmantractors
1979 CJ7 

mirrors

Had to do the same to mine. I would like to find some that are taller to work better with my Bestop soft top. The stock ones are not that good. Anyone have any ideas?
hmantractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
hotrod351
1955 M-38 

yeah its a real pain. need some like on the trucks, they stay in place but will pop back if hit.
Unread 06-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Try this, losen the mounting bolts first.
Now tighten the pivot bolt, then tighten the mounting bolts.
If that does not work, punch a couple circles out of a mouse pad and add them as a washer to the pivot.
I had issues with the pivot ball and moving mirrord, in that case you just tighten the three phillip head screws til it is tight.
Unread 06-09-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
hotrod351
1955 M-38 

sold them years ago. just started thinking about getting a new set. im not jumping though hoops to solve a problem that shouldn't be.
Unread 06-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
Caish
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod351 View Post
sold them years ago. just started thinking about getting a new set. im not jumping though hoops to solve a problem that shouldn't be.
I bought mine last year from oreillys.
Im happy with them for the most part...
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:02 AM   #7
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

why couldn't you mount them, adjust them where you want them, drill a small hole through and insert a clip..? then when/if you need to pull them in, pull the clip, pull the mirrors in and away you go.. I get my clips at Big R, but all hardware stores carry them, some chrome, some stainless, ... and all different sizes..
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #8
hotrod351
1955 M-38 

already figured that one out. but i do like the way my truck mirrors work. they lock in but when pushed hard enough they will move back. either way would work and id have to get out of my jeep to do it anyway. to bad some one hasnt thought of a quick easy way to loosen them and then put them back in the exact location. might have to do the old pin method.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.