Milky rear end fluid..... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Milky rear end fluid.....

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #16
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

From the FSM;

The only seals I see here are numbers 11 and 17. WindKnot, please post your version of the FSM, I'd be interested to see the discrepancy (perhaps they were different for different years?).

Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #17
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

It doesn't show the axle either. Or even the bearing. Have you ever rebuilt an AMC20 or replaced the oil seals? I have. There is an inner seal and an outer seal. I've shown you pictures of them. Trust me on this. Honest. Your "item 17" is the inner seal.

There must be another illustration showing the axle. It would have the axle, bearing, cup, shim, outer seal and seal retainer.
Unread 09-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #18
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
Have you ever rebuilt an AMC20 or replaced the oil seals? I have.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #19
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Some obviously wrong information was given, possibly leading to the OP opening things up and spending money he doesn't need to spend. It was quite obvious that while trying to be helpful, someone was wrong.

If you know that bad information was given and it could cost someone else money, would you step in or just sit back and watch the train wreck? The people around here are pretty good at trying stop people from unnecessarily spending money.
Unread 09-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #20
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

I never said that item 17 was an outer seal, only that it is all that is shown in the FSM diagram of the rear end (and it's not my item 17, it's item 17 in the FSM diagram...). I guess if you want to "pick-the-knit", I would respond by saying that what you show as an "outer seal" is more accurately described as a "flange seal" than as an axle seal. I'm certainly not an expert, but I have rebuilt a model 20 a couple of times long ago before I realized what a poor design AMC made (2-piece axle? really?). Anyway, maybe we can agree there was a difference in terminology and leave it at that?
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 11:01 AM   #21
JeePete
1983 CJ7 

Sorry to start such a heated discussion....

over 25+ year old drawings.

It would be helpful to see the axle & outer seal included in the diagram.....

I can tell you that what I see missing (also) is the threaded hole that the brake line "T" bolts into, on the top of the axle. (It's between the vent and the pumpkin.)

My bolt is missing and when I borrowed the little red plastic tube off my WD-40 and stuck it in this hole, it came out white. That says to me that the gear oil is all the way out to the axles, not confined to the gear "housing" (via a seal near the differential bearing).

I would think this would also make a big difference in the gear oil capacity of the rear end.....

Make sense?
JeePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #22
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

While Spieg and I argue over nomenclature...

What's going on inside your axle tubing is this...

You SHOULD have gear oil in the tubes as well as in the pumpkin. The purpose of what I and most others would call the "inner seal" is to stop the gear oil from migrating farther into the bearings. The area between what I call the inner and outer seals is where the bearing lies. It's lubricated by grease.

When you go to the breather hole, you will get whatever you have in the pumpkin and the tubes. You're getting oil and water, which is consistent with what you have told us.

In addition to replacing the gear oil, you will need to correct the problem at the breather. WHAT SHOULD BE is a fitting screwed into the axle tube with a hose attached to it climbing upward into as I remember it, the wheel well. there should be a vent at the end of the hose, but good luck finding a replacement. YOU NEED THIS VENT HOSE as it equalizes air pressure between inside and outside of the tube. It sounds like it was broken and this is where the water got in. There's a vent on the front axle too.

All of this is why, after a few years, we tend to go AROUND mud and water unless absolutely necessary.
Unread 09-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #23
JeePete
1983 CJ7 

Wk...

Thanks for your reply.

On the "When you go to the breather hole, you will get whatever you have in the pumpkin and the tubes." My breather is intact, but the bolt that's missing from the brake line "T" is where the water got in. I need to get a bolt in there to ensure water stays out in the future.

I might also disconnect the trailer and tilt the trailer back for future launches, as I don't want to repeat this in the future.

Thanks again,

PK
Unread 09-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #24
2Xtreme
1979 CJ7 

Oh, C'mon....!!!

NOBODY has a comment on the title of this thread????
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #25
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
there should be a vent at the end of the hose, but good luck finding a replacement.
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrai...FY9AMgod6EsAhQ
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #26
JeePete
1983 CJ7 

So I got the gasket and 4 PINTS of gear oil....install the rear-end cover, (after cleaning with brake cleaner).

All back together....put 2 quarts in, then 2/3 of a quart I already had in the garage. Nothing coming out of the filler....

I noticed the rear end has wedges installed to decrease the drive shaft/pinion angle.....so two and 2/3 quarts & it's still not full (not coming out the filler hole)

Should I add more until it comes out the filler? (filler hole being the plug which is a hex or #9 in the exploded view). I would assume I need to, in order to get enough fluid up to the pinion bearing....

Thoughts?

Thanks
Unread 09-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #27
CSP

Yes, fill it until it starts to come out. It won't hurt a bit to have that extra capacity for the pinion bearings.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.