Milky rear end fluid..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Milky rear end fluid.....

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 09-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
JeePete
1983 CJ7 

Milky rear end fluid.....

Anyone have any bright ideas? I used the CJ to launch my boat and it was a VERY low tide, so the rear end was submerged.

Looks like the rear brakes "T" block is missing the mounting bolt and let water in. I'm draining it now, but any ideas on cleaning (or potential damage) before I refill with new gear oil?

Thx,

PK

JeePete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

I would say you'll be ok since you cought it early. Obviously you'll need to find a replacement bolt first thing. Get it cleaned out with cleaner and some rags. Get a new gasket and skim coat it on both sides with some RTV following its directions. Will need to cure overnight I believe. Then refill.

Mike D.
twoleos617 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
scoutboater

1974 CJ5 

Brake cleaner works pretty well at getting all the crud out of it too. Just watch out, when you shoot it in, it will shoot back out somewhere...

Also, if you have a limited slip rear-end or anything like that, make sure you use the correct additives for it.
scoutboater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
JeePete
1983 CJ7 

Thanks....

Mike & Scout- Any thoughts on needing to get the brake cleaner into the outer bearing?

Hopefully I caught this in time and thankful to the PO for NOT doing a good job with the gasket sealer......white spot on the floor of the garage is what started me thinking....
Unread 09-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
scoutboater

1974 CJ5 

I didn't worry about the axle bearings when I changed the fluid in mine, and I've had no issues. Once you re-fill with fresh clean oil, whatever is still hanging around way out at the wheels should be well enough diluted with the fresh oil that you don't have to worry about it.

On the other hand, if you are really worried about it, clean the chunk out, fill her up with cheap gear oil, drive her a little bit, then repeat with the good stuff. That will ensure that the outer bearings are running in nice clean new oil.
Unread 09-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

X2^

Mike D.
twoleos617 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
JeePete
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutboater View Post
I didn't worry about the axle bearings when I changed the fluid in mine, and I've had no issues. Once you re-fill with fresh clean oil, whatever is still hanging around way out at the wheels should be well enough diluted with the fresh oil that you don't have to worry about it.

On the other hand, if you are really worried about it, clean the chunk out, fill her up with cheap gear oil, drive her a little bit, then repeat with the good stuff. That will ensure that the outer bearings are running in nice clean new oil.
Did I mention it was SALT WATER I was backing down into?
Unread 09-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Just check for any rust while you are cleaning the muck out. Water/oil mix is not the best gear lubricant in the word, but usually doesn't do damage unless metal is exposed for a length of time. If the PO had water in it before you bought it, you may have a bigger problem.
Spieg8 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #9
scoutboater

1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeePete View Post

Did I mention it was SALT WATER I was backing down into?
While that would make me lean towards the double flush a little more, I still probably wouldn't worry about it since you caught it so fast if everything looks good inside.
Unread 09-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

I would drive the jeep long enough to get the differential hot, then drain the oil, do this three times.

you should be good if no damage has been done up to this time.

using the type cleaning agents might cut all the oil off a bearing and it not be properly lubed by your refill.

drained the coolant/oil, fixed engine, new oil ran it a few miles then changed oil again, traded off the truck after 5K miles and it was still running good.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #11
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Your bearings should be in grease, not the differential oil. That's what the inner oil seal is for. Some people have discarded the inner oil seal and let the diff oil lube the bearings. It's NOT how Jeep set it up though.

If both the inner and outer of your oil seals are good, the bearings should be okay. Inspect them if you want, but it's going to be some work.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #12
scoutboater

1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
Your bearings should be in grease, not the differential oil. That's what the inner oil seal is for. Some people have discarded the inner oil seal and let the diff oil lube the bearings. It's NOT how Jeep set it up though.

If both the inner and outer of your oil seals are good, the bearings should be okay. Inspect them if you want, but it's going to be some work.
Good point. I wasn't even thinking about that.
Unread 09-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #13
CSP

Does the AMC20 have an inner seal? Not all rear axles do and many are supposed to bathe the outer bearings in gear lube. The '72-75 CJ Dana 44s are set up this way.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Does the AMC20 have an inner seal? Not all rear axles do and many are supposed to bathe the outer bearings in gear lube. The '72-75 CJ Dana 44s are set up this way.
According to the FSM, there are 3 seals in an AMC20. 1 at the pinion and one at each axle bearing (by the brakes). I remember my old model 20 never leaked, but would fill with water every time I crossed a creek.
Spieg8 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #15
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

^^^^That's COMPLETELY WRONG. Go re-read your FACTORY Service Manual. Each axle has an inner seal and an outer seal.

Inner Axle Seal...

Outer Axle Seal...

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.