Milky Brown Transmission Fluid Drained from T5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Milky Brown Transmission Fluid Drained from T5

Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 09-06-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
caanzaldua
1981 CJ7 

Milky Brown Transmission Fluid Drained from T5

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I recently acquired an '81 CJ7 and I will slowly fix her up. I decided to start by taking care of the mechanical parts first before she looks pretty.

I just drained the manual transmission. I believe it's a T5 (5-spd). The fluid that came out was smelly, milky brown and pretty thick. I believe it to be ATF but I'm not too familiar with this type of stuff. I was planning on refilling the tranny with Royal Purple Synchromax but I wasn't sure how it would affect it since the tranny isn't 100% flushed out. Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Btw, JeepForum is awesome. There is a great amount of knowledge here and everyone seems to be very helpful.

caanzaldua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Maybe fill it with standard (read cheap) lube, run it for a bit, drain that out and then add your expensive stuff.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2009, 07:18 PM   #3
caanzaldua
1981 CJ7 

Thanks, that's what I was thinking of doing. I talked to my neighbor who's a mechanic and he said that more than likely, I had water (moisture) in the transmission. That was the cause of the thick milky brown stuff that came out.

I will just go buy some less expensive stuff. Thanks for responding.
Unread 09-06-2009, 08:20 PM   #4
Hybrid Jeep
1976 CJ5 

Hey there.. when I drained the fluid from my T18 on my 76 CJ it came out milky brown. It definitely was from water and mud coming in through the top where the shifter goes in. You can find some CV boots and with zip ties seal off that area so that nothing gets in anymore!
Hybrid Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2009, 08:32 PM   #5
JonB-CJ7
1984 CJ7 

If your tranny fluid came out milky brown, its probably gear oil vs ATF. Plain gear oil will be sort of like dark honey, but if it has been contaminated with water, it will resemble chocolate milk. Gear oil also has a nice sulfery smell to it. I'm not to sure about ATF.
1984 CJ-7, Howell fuel injection, D-44 front 4:11 Detroit Electrac,D-44 rear Detroit 4:11, T-19 trans, D-300/4:1 Lo-max gears, 33x12.5 SSRs, Full cage, Warn XDi 9000

2006 Jeep Rubicon (stock, but not for long)
JonB-CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
1984CJ
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid Jeep View Post
You can find some CV boots and with zip ties seal off that area so that nothing gets in anymore!
Except the the vent on the t-4/5 is actually lower than the shift tower. When I had my T-5 out I pulled the vent, tapped the hole for (IIRC)3/8 NPT barb and spliced it into the transfer case vent hose.

Milky gear oil = water in lube.

The original AMC fluid (nicknamed Fishoil) was a burnt brownish red color similar to scorched ATF.
Originally Posted by ftdranger
You guys on the CJ tech page are a little to tech for me. Must be the leaf springs.

Last edited by 1984CJ; 09-06-2009 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: add quote
1984CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonB-CJ7 View Post
If your tranny fluid came out milky brown, its probably gear oil vs ATF. Plain gear oil will be sort of like dark honey, but if it has been contaminated with water, it will resemble chocolate milk. Gear oil also has a nice sulfery smell to it. I'm not to sure about ATF.

I concur. I did mine in the beginning of summer. My Cj sat for about 10+ years before I get her and started driving her. I drove her for a bout a year then change all the drive line fluids. I used Valvoline Synthetic 75-90 gear oil. When I drained all my fluids, I found the trans and transfer case brown n milky. It sure smelled bad too. I think its cause it sat over the years with the temp change it just collect moister. Now the rears came out green and smelly! I can't understand that mixture. But it seems to run a lot better, cooler and quieter.

Paved Roads
A Fine Example of Needless Government Spending
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post

Sometimes it a good idea to pull a vacuum hose before the wife rides in it--you can tell her you need a new ____ and once you get your new ____ you can reconnect the hose. :)

84 Cj 7 w/ 4-Banger, 4.5" BDS lift, 1/2 Trans Drop, Twin Stick, 32" Tire, Front Aussie Locker, No Sound System Yet, No Armor, Warn 8274 Not Installed, Webber Carb Upgrade, Luckycheese Ing. Upgrade...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2009, 09:19 PM   #8
caanzaldua
1981 CJ7 

Thanks for all the advice. It was definitely brown, milky, and smelly.
Unread 09-07-2009, 07:16 AM   #9
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The T5 is also 'real' picky about gear oil, it needs a GL3 or GL4 gear oil, if you use a GL5 grade, the syncros will fail and it will shift 'bad'. GL4 is hard to find. I tried some supposedly compatible with GL4, GL5 and they lied, it stopped shifting into 1st right away. Got the right grade and have been great for 10 years.

I also pulled out the button vent and put a chunk of gas line in the hole to make a nipple for a high water vent line to attach to, it has worked well.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2009, 07:40 AM   #10
caanzaldua
1981 CJ7 

I assume the button vent is where water is coming in from the top? I'm mechanically challenged but I'm slowly learning. I just acquired my CJ about 2 weeks ago.
Unread 09-08-2009, 06:38 AM   #11
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Yup, jeep in it's wisdumb only put a stupid button vent on the tranny instead of a high water hose vent like the t-case and diffs have.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 09-08-2009, 07:05 AM   #12
bleoh
1984 CJ7 

Here is what it looks like:

I pulled it, tapped the hole and put a barb in. Then tied it into the D300 breather.

bleoh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2009, 10:54 AM   #13
sanddrag
1984 CJ7 

My Chilton's manual says the T4 and T5 are to be filled with Dexron II. Is that correct?
sanddrag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #14
longboy
2006 WK 

Just thought I'd post this info from another forum member regarding T5 and T4 lubrication:

Quote:
Originally Posted by twmattox View Post
The problem with T-5 is very complex. From what I have read, the T-5 is rated to 265 ft-lb torque, the AX-15 is rated to 285 ft-lb, and the NV3550 is rated (conservatively) at 300 ft-lb. So, if it is nearly as strong as the AX-15, why does it have such a bad reputation?

I hit the website for Medatronics Corporation's 5 Speed Home page! talk about a shop that knows their T-5s...the guy was very very knowledgeable! He indicated the largest problems (that gave T-5s a bad rap) dealt with a recalled third gear (went from 29 spline to 27 spline). That upgrade is supposed to help beef the thing up a good deal. Other problems deal with incorrect or improper fluid levels. These non-world class transmissions operate without needle bearings (instead having deep oil grooves). As such, they should only run gear oil.

I have done a decent bit of research on the "correct" fluid to use. A good friend is the Parts Manager at a local Jeep store and works with many mechanics who worked on these, I have looked over Factory Service Manuals from 1982, 1983, and 1984-1986, searched the Factory Recalls, and Tech Bulletins...

When they first came out, AMC recommended using ATF (1982 FSM). However, there was a recall for this in 1982 (Recall Number: 82V125000) indicating that the “ORIGINAL PRODUCTION TRANSMISSION LUBRICANT USED IN THE INVOLVED VEHICLES MAY NOT PROVIDE ADEQUATE LUBRICATION TO PROTECT THE TRANSMISSIONS FIRST GEAR.” FSM supplement for 1982 (Tech Bulletin) and the 1983 FSM both indicate to use 90wt in the T-5. By 1984, AMC started using a proprietary manual transmission lubricant. This was affectionately referred to as "fish oil" by the mechanics or AMC manual transmission fluid (Part Number 8983 000 000). This fluid was discontinued by AMC and currently, Chrysler is recommending the use of GL3 gear oil.

From my limited understanding, GL3 is very different from GL4 or GL5. I emailed Valvoline regarding this (as I haven't seen GL3 or GL4 in a very long time). They indicated that the issue is with the type of sulfate used in the lube. Apparently activated sulfate (used in some GL5 lubes) can eat brass synchros. Valvoline indicated: "The Valvoline High Performance Gear Oil 80-w90 can be used for both GL4 and GL5. The real concern is the type of sulfate used in the gear oil. You can not use an active sulfate for GL-4 applications. Valvoline uses an inactive sulfate that will not harm any yellow metal such as bronze. This allows our products to be used in manual transmissions that have bronze synchronizers."

All of this being said, there is an issue with shifting in colder climates. Apparently, the gear lube is almost too thick to allow smooth shifting on cold days, until the lube warms up a little. Many have reported good luck with synthetics, some have cut the gear lube with a little ATF, and some have reported good luck running 20w50 motor oil. I am not sure what the overall best solution is, but the only “Factory” recommended solution is to run 80-90…

I hope this was not too confusing, I have researched it a lot and written a similar dissertation in a lot of other forums. This is a little more concise...
Unread 09-08-2009, 11:40 AM   #15
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

I also checked with the Jeep dealer and they stated that it was OK to use ATF in the winter 'if' I had hard shifting, otherwise use a GL3 to be safer.

from Another poster, Fred:
NAPA sells this
SAE 85w90 Gear Oil GL4 (also meets GL3)
Part #SL24239
Mfg By Sta-Lube, sibisdary of CRC Industries
Bar Code 72213-24239

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.