Military Style lettering and serial numbers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Military Style lettering and serial numbers

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Military Style lettering and serial numbers

I am planning on painting my Jeep in a military style and am wondering how the hood lettering/numbering was determined. My Dad served in WW2 and I wanted to reflect his unit number somewhere. I believe that this is indicated on the body either in the hood numeration or seperately. Any info on this will be greatly appreciated. If anyone has any links to any military site that would be a help too. Thanks!

90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

The bumper numbers are done so the unit is on the passenger side (as viewed from the front) and the vehicle number is on the drivers side.

My HMMWV' bumper numbers looked like this:

A603 ASB _________________________A71

Alpha Company 603rd Aviation Support Battalion Alpha 71

Check out this site: http://olive-drab.com/od_mvg_markings.php

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
PERK
1983 CJ7 

http://jeepdraw.com/images/AR-850-5.pdf

if you want to mark it WW2 style...here's more information than you will ever want.
PERK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

i saw a place on the web where you can buy military decals, numbers, letters, stars and even pick the number and letters
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
PERK
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i saw a place on the web where you can buy military decals, numbers, letters, stars and even pick the number and letters
http://www.militarystencils.com/default.aspx
PERK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
Jeepkid1995
1979 CJ7 

Great idea!! No better tribute that I can think of to a veteran and a father. Not to mention its gonna look very slick. Always wanted to do this to my jeep, even though its a CJ7. Post pics of the final result!

-->350 time. '95 block SBC, stroked to 383, dremeled heads and big 'ol intake, maybe a Holley 750 CFM, not sure yet

--->"Safety? Buy a Volvo. Never buy a CJ, or a Chrysler Jeep knock off, for safety, fuel mileage, reliability, handling, ride, comfort, aerodynamics, quietness, convience, stability, low maintenance cost, performance, or ease of use. The only reason to buy a CJ is because you are absolutely, incurably nuts." -OldTexas
Jeepkid1995 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah thanks for the input. I am using a desert flat paint to reflect current military style. On the hood and sides I am going to use post D-day style circle stars cuz I like em. I am also going to put the soldiers cross somewhere and possibly use the Wounded Warrior graphic as a tribute to all those who have served.

My Dad was in a cartography/intelligence unit and also flew a glider to get the pics to make the maps with. He was stationed in the Pacific theater. I have his neat silk jacket patch with the American flag and saying "I am an American and I am your friend.........." in about 20 different languages.
Unread 02-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERK View Post
http://jeepdraw.com/images/AR-850-5.pdf

if you want to mark it WW2 style...here's more information than you will ever want.
Great link! I wish I could find one of the old Carry Alls or panel trucks and put some modern drivetrain under it.
Unread 02-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #9
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERK View Post
And this place is the bomb!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.