In the military and got orders to San Francisco. Now that smog test!!! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > In the military and got orders to San Francisco. Now that smog test!!!

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 02-27-2014, 01:56 PM   #31
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmicgrif View Post
COAST GUARD. I really want to do the EFI system. with the perks that it brings it should make the jeep run better and longer.
Sounds like you are looking for an excuse to justify the EFI.

The Weber will not pass the visual inspection portion of a CA smog check, regardless of how clean it runs. The only carb that will pass is the computer controlled Carter BBD that came stock. And all the original smog equipment will need to be in place and functional. Check out this link for more info... http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/

Your options for add-on fuel injection are limited... the Howell TBI system (~$1250) or the Mopar MPFI (~$2500). These are the only two kits that have been approved for use on vehicles registered in California. The California Air Resources Board (CARB) has reviewed/tested these kits and certified that they do not negatively affect the emissions generated by the stock engine.

Another option is to change out the engine altogether. This is the only "junk yard" option that I am aware of that can be approved by the State. The requirements are that the "new" engine has to:
1) Come from a donor vehicle in the same weight class and configuration (auto vs manual) as the recipient vehicle
2) Be from the same model year as the recipient vehicle, or newer
3) Have all the computer controls and smog equipment that originally came with the engine

Then you would have to take the vehicle with the "new" engine down to the local smog referee and have them give a thorough inspection of everything that you changed.

Good luck

Unread 02-27-2014, 07:02 PM   #32
Rusty4x
1981 CJ8 

This guy can help you

I'm having a Howell FI system installed ion my '81 Scrambler by Rick at this link.
He does very thorough work including reworking your engine harness and updating your evap system to make sure you will be able to pass smog. He is also very reasonably priced. Not local to you but worth it. He's near LAX.
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ptd/4347528013.html
Rusty4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 08:21 PM   #33
dmicgrif
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty4x View Post
I'm having a Howell FI system installed ion my '81 Scrambler by Rick at this link.
He does very thorough work including reworking your engine harness and updating your evap system to make sure you will be able to pass smog. He is also very reasonably priced. Not local to you but worth it. He's near LAX.
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ptd/4347528013.html

what is he charging you to do the job? he tell you how long it will take him?
dmicgrif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 09:46 PM   #34
Rusty4x
1981 CJ8 

Howell FI

PM sent
Rusty4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 12:00 AM   #35
dmicgrif
1986 CJ7 

so i gave howell a call. there price for a efi on the 258 is $1295.00. pretty much what everyone else sells it for but they do offer military discount 10%. doesnt seem like a lot but every bit helps. so it bring the EFI to $1165.00 and since i live on a island out in the middle of the pacific shipping is $96.55. so the grand total is $1262.05. still cheaper then anyone else. now i just have to talk my wife into it.
Unread 02-28-2014, 06:30 AM   #36
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Here is a thought for you. Check out the 'Nutter bypass' thread on this forum.

I have been tuning BBD engines with all the basic vacuum lines needed to pass emissions with no computer in the circuit for years. I have compared emissions specs with folks from California and ours in Ontario Canada were the same. We use that dyno machine with rollers also.

For a real tight visual, all the stock engine harness wiring can be left in place and just be selectively snipped inside the harness out of sight.

I run 2 Jeeps with the BBD , an 86 and an 89 and not only do both pass emissions easily, the get close to 500 km per tank. Got 535 once with 2 hours of 4x4 involved and drove into the gas station still.

You could likely get a free BBD from folks here as well as an engine harness from someone doing a replacement if you need all the plugs back.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 02:20 PM   #37
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Mike-he needs far more than that, to pass smog in California, sorry to say.
Do you have a visual inspection also?
What are you required to have to pass smog where you live?
LG
Unread 03-03-2014, 11:54 PM   #38
dmicgrif
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
Mike-he needs far more than that, to pass smog in California, sorry to say.
Do you have a visual inspection also?
What are you required to have to pass smog where you live?
LG
Right now I live on Maui. All they do for inspections is to test lights, horn. And make sure you tint isn't to dark. What else would I need beside the howell efi kit to pass smog test. I was think of a new cat as well.
Unread 03-04-2014, 12:26 AM   #39
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Right now I live on Maui. All they do for inspections is to test lights, horn. And make sure you tint isn't to dark. What else would I need beside the howell efi kit to pass smog test. I was think of a new cat as well.
To pass the California smog test with the Howell, you will also need a functioning EGR, charcoal evap canister, and catalytic converter. Your gas cap and all fuel system seals and hoses will need to be air-tight. You will have to pass a sniffer test either unloaded at idle and 2500 rpm, or at idle and 25mph on the rollers, depending on which county you are in (although I think all the counties in the bay area are roller counties).

edit: You'll also need a functioning PCV valve and breather routed to the air cleaner.
Unread 03-04-2014, 01:44 AM   #40
dmicgrif
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
To pass the California smog test with the Howell, you will also need a functioning EGR, charcoal evap canister, and catalytic converter. Your gas cap and all fuel system seals and hoses will need to be air-tight. You will have to pass a sniffer test either unloaded at idle and 2500 rpm, or at idle and 25mph on the rollers, depending on which county you are in (although I think all the counties in the bay area are roller counties).

edit: You'll also need a functioning PCV valve and breather routed to the air cleaner.
Thanks, I will make sure all those hoses are good too. I do have a canister, how do I check if it needs replacing?
Unread 03-04-2014, 05:20 AM   #41
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:

Thanks, I will make sure all those hoses are good too. I do have a canister, how do I check if it needs replacing?
If the canister isn't working, it can cause a high or surging idle if the purge isn't functioning and a nasty raw gas smell around the Jeep on a hot day. There also is a $2.00 air filter for the bottom of most of them (this is the gas tank vent) that is a real bear to change the first time. Hammer and chisel time even. The replacement filters go in easy.

One test for functioning is to trace the line from the canister to the back of the carb where it T fits to the PCV line and at idle pinch the line to the canister closed. If the idle drops hard, the canister purge is with out.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #42
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Best you get in touch with California Air Resources Board(C.A.R.B.).
They can give you the info.
Very best of luck,
LG
Unread 03-04-2014, 04:21 PM   #43
Knucklehead
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Marines guard all naval installations. A buddy of mine, also a Marine, spent a year and a half in Alameda on barracks duty.
Not anymore. You won't see Marines on a Navy gate unless they are a "fair share" part of the larger Navy uniformed and civilian security force...or the **** hits the fan! They continue to guard Navy nuke weapon and deploy overseas to support Navy Fleet Commanders and State Dept though.
Unread 03-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #44
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Our navy base has navy guys standing guard
Unread 03-06-2014, 09:55 AM   #45
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Wow, how things have changed. Do they still have a Marine detachment on ships for security? Do you think this change was due to such a high deployment of Marines to the desert that didn't leave enough back stateside to fill it's normal duties?
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.