Mile Marker locking hub fitting issues - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Mile Marker locking hub fitting issues

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 04-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #16
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Yes, everything, seal and bearing wise is new. I don't believe the spindle brg. is seated to anything. I believe I read that as long as it's an even seat so that it's in far enough to allow the seal's top to be just below flush, being that it's a sleeve type brg. that has no side thrust and isn't a two pc. like a brg. and a race that must mate squarely. Plus it leaves room at the other end to grasp with a puller. Is that wrong, does it have to seat deeper? That's where the seal was located when I removed the old one. Theres not really a "seat" in there.

Anyhow, so I get to dissecting things further. I find a tiny bit of thicker paint and ground that down. No burrs, dings, dents on the spindle or knuckle hole. And I tried rotating the spindle to each of the 5 positions to see if one fit better. But what I did notice was while either rotating the hub or the spindle, the axle / spindle non gap side (where I couldn't get the screwdriver tip) was always in the same spot, which was towards the top, or right, as the axle lays [cover up, yoke down]. And as I stood there staring, waiting for it to fix itself (didn't happen, didn't even move ) I noticed it was off in the same direction as the knuckle fits on the axle's "C". As if tightening the ball joint nuts would pull the knuckle/spindle in the right direction to line up the axle and spindle. I have a picture that illustrates it well but I'll have to post it tomorrow.
So I thought... could it be that simple, the ball joints just weren't tightened enough! So Saturday I went to the local shop that did my axles rebuild which included new ball joints, to pic his brain and to see what torque he did the ball joints too. He said he doesn't remember but it's probably the typical 70-75 ft/lbs. I thought great, it's supposed to be 85 on the bottom, 50 on the split ring and 100 on the top nut. I thought that's got to be it.

I was able to etch my tub that afternoon so I didn't get back to the axle till sat. night and I wasn't alone. Mr Murphy was in full force that night. Turns out the bottom nut was plenty tight. Curious as to what he did torque it too I started at 70 ft/lbs and moved up in 5 lb increments to see at what point I could move the nut tighter. At 105 lbs I moved it. Now I don't know that that's an accurate way to check it or not, plus it was painted with POR so I don't know if that could add any strength to it or not. So I backed the nut off some and retightened it to 85 ft/lbs. Then I went to loosen the top nut and it was a size I didn't have. Fifteen minutes till close I ran to Lowe's for a 1 5/16" socket and they didn't have one. The closest metric they had, using a tape measure in the store, was a 36mm. Could it fit? So I grabbed it, got home, and not such luck. Dead in the water.

Then I decided to start doing the tie rod flip, so I taper one hole and it doesn't go like the instructions say it will. Nothing like it! Dead in the water again at that point.
So I figured well, to feel like I got something done I'll put the other end together. Things were going good till I went to put the cap back on the hub with the little (#8x32) allen head cap screws. One of them had boggered threads at the end, which I noticed it being tight on removal. Rooted around and luckily I had a die to fit that size (what were the odds). So after fixing up the threads, then installing the cap with the gasket, a dusting of silicone, and a dab of locktite on each of those screws. I was done. Turn from free to lock.... works great. Now turn back to free.............................!@#$%^&*
It's 2:53am. I give up. Well played Mr. Murphy!!

Could I have a bad ball joint? What's the odds. So the saga continues, suggestions welcomed.

Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #17
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Well I got the cap turning issue figured out. They really need to include way better directions than just a generic drawing. There are 5 different positions the cap could go for "free" and 5 for "lock" but only one position fits with the 3 tabs inside in the right position. So mark the hub body and cap with tape before separating and note how the inner sleeve is sitting. Anyways, I got that issue solved.

I didn't do anymore to the whole alignment issue on the other end but heres some pics to show how much it's off by, that's creating this whole mess. At this point I'm thinking the ball joints aren't seated fully or I got a bad joint.

If the outer knuckle moved close to the axle "C", it would move the spindle closer to center. The bottom pic illustrates my theory. What do you guys think? I'm out of guesses and it's slowing my progress way down.
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #18
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Well I believe the problem has been solved. It's not completely together but the spindle fits well and the axle isn't tight to the side. I had the ball joints pressed out and 2 new Raybestos ones pressed in. I'm not sure which one it may have been or if one wasn't fully seated but I believe the issue is solved. I'll know tonight when I finish assembling it but so far it looks like the issue was the ball joint wasn't allowing the knuckle to fully mate together and just that little bit threw off the axle shaft alignment.
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #19
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

Looks like you have the important mechanical stuff pretty much sorted out, but if you have a problem getting those Laredo center caps to fit, you might want to check out this thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/mo...-rims-1503121/
I went through this a few weeks ago with a set of Warn hubs, and that was my solution.
YJ Interior, Metal Doors, Hard Top
Colt44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:56 PM   #20
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Yep, I got it all together with no issues. Finally! No center caps going on mine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.