Mike’s Low Country ’80 CJ7 Rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Mike’s Low Country ’80 CJ7 Rebuild

Rough Country 2.5" long arm suspension systemDan's 15% Birthday Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
jumper182
1980 CJ7 

Mike’s Low Country ’80 CJ7 Rebuild

First, let me say THANK YOU to all the guys who have posted pictures, how to and ‘step by step’ methods for repair, refurbish and rebuild! I’ve been a member of the forums since I brought my ‘project’ home almost two years ago, and I will search the forums before I try to do something, learn from you guys, and then go try it. The first year, saw little to no progress. This was mostly due to life, work and getting my garage ready to do some work. The garage only had one outlet! Who has a garage with only one outlet. So, I had to add more outlets, and work benches, and a compressor, and a beer fridge. I think you guys get the picture. The second year has been a bit more productive, but not by much. Again, work, career, life gets in way, but also helps fund this project, so I guess it’s a necessity.

A bit about me, this is my first project of this type. Before, I did some minor tinkering on my car and truck, but never anything like this. I decided to do this to learn. It’s that simple, learn how to do more, and figure it out along the way. Some people ask why not buy a jeep that runs, but what do you learn doing that? I’ve been leaning on friends that know how, and this forum a ton. There is a wealth of knowledge here, and I’ve been using what I can find. I’ve been learning everything along the way, so it’s been a great experience, and only the start. I never grew up working on cars, I really wasn’t that interested. More of a sports and other activities kid, and then as I got older, it didn’t seem to fit. Now it does, so here is what I’m doing in this little project.

First, the jeep, as I bought it from the PO, was nothing more than parts. The PO had it as a project too, but after a year of no progress, the wife said it had to go. And his loss was my find. Here is what I got:

1980 CJ7, tub on the frame, Dana 30, AMC 20, Chevy 350 (four bolt main), TH400 and BW transfer case. Mounting hardware for 350, accessories, etc. As I was driving home with it behind my truck, I kept asking what was I getting myself into? When would I have time for this? Now is that time…..
First 3 pictures below:

After reading the forum for several months/year, and doing research online, here is what my plan is for this thing:

Frame off restoration,
fix bad spots, learn how to weld (more on this later)
4” BDS lift new springs and shocks
Front axle
rebuild, it looked like water in the axle fluid
Already has disc breaks, but need new rotors and lots of clean up
Rear Axle
One Piece axle conversion
Gears look great, clean, seals look good too
Axle Ratio: Change gears….maybe, I believe its 3.73, but not sure.

Drive train:
SM465 Manual Transmission (I have to learn how to do transmissions)
I found a 4WD version (Thanks to Novak Conversion Knowledge website) out of a ’72 pickup, that I got cheap, with the bell housing, flywheel and Pressure Plate

Dana 300 transfer case. I got a rebuilt one, supper clean, just needs the rest of the jeep.

Chevy 350 (probably need to tear it down fully, even though PO says it was rebuilt… but based on other items I’ve found, I’m not sure I trust it)

PROGRESS TO DATE:
I have it dis-assembled down to the frame. Frame is completely stripped, tub is off to the side, axles are on jack stands. Front axle is pulled apart, brakes off, spindles apart, sitting off to the side.

On the frame, I’ve started to repair the rusted out spots, got a new rear cross member, and replaced several body mounts. I thought the frame was in okay shape, but compared to what some seen on this forum, my frame is in better than average shape. The front half is good, no rust issues, some body mounts, the tops only I replaced, and now on to the hard part.

NEED ADVICE:
I’ve got the rear frame members to fix, both sides. The bottoms and inside walls are rusted, and the overlap seam on the bottom is shot. This is about 14” long, from the back end, so here is my plan. I’ve made some poster board templates to cut new pieces from 1/8” plate. I’m going to cut out the plates before I start cutting the frame, hopefully it will all line up. And match the dimensions that I took before and after.

My question:
Where is the best place to cut the frame? Middle of the sides? I want to stay out of the radii, but take a look at these pictures, and let me know what you guys think.

See Pictures below

Again, thank you to all who have posted how they did things on their project, and for any advice ya'll have.

Please be patient, this is project of mine will take some time...

Thank you again,
Mike

jeep-before-1.jpg   jeep-before-3.jpg   frame-repair.jpg   frame-repair-2.jpg   frame-repair-3.jpg  

jumper182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
jumper182
1980 CJ7 

Frame Repair

I've done some frame repairs on the aft end:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/re...ideas-1273819/

And I just posted a new thread asking about frame dimensions, and level questions.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/fr...-need-1368654/

I know I need to post more here, and will as I get further along.

Thanks,
Unread 05-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Nice job on the frame repair thread. Any current pictures of where you are?
Unread 05-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
jumper182
1980 CJ7 

Here are some progress pictures.

When I first got it home:

I started pulling stuff off the tub, firewall, roll cage, etc.

I got the tub off, then got everything off the frame.

Did some frame clean up, and flipped it by self. The engine hoist comes in very handy when you need more than 2 hands.

Once flipped, I tackled the rear end of the frame, see my other thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/re...ideas-1273819/

Frame in one side, tub and other stuff in the other. Makes for a full garage.

How it sits today, rear cross member is clamped in, until I figure out how to address the frame twist:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/fr...-need-1368654/

Unread 05-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #5
jumper182
1980 CJ7 

AMC 20 dis-assembly

I've taken most of the rear axle apart.

But I've got several questions:

1st question:
One of the axle hubs is being very stubborn, and won't come off.

I used a 7 ton puller on one side, worked like a champ.
The other side, no luck.

I'm looking for other ideas on how to remove it, so I can get the brake plate off.

2nd question:
I pulled the carrier out, and bearings, and I pulled the outer crush sleeve on the pinion.
How do I get the pinon out? I've been hitting with a large dead blow mallet, no luck.

3rd question:
On the back of the case, there are these (4) locations that are very thin, one is rusted thru.
What are these? Is this from the forging of the case?
Can I just weld these in to fill it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Unread 05-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Those are plug welds from the center section to the axle tubing. You can take a carbide bit and grind out the ones with rust/etc then crank up the welder and refill the holes. You can also run a bead around the ends of the center section to the axle tube to help hold things together.

Put the nut back on the pinion and smack it with a good 5lb hammer. You need the jarring motion of metal to metal contact. The nut won't be any good after that but they should be replaced each time anyways. While you have it apart, now would be a good time to upgrade to 1pc axles and ditch the 2pc tent stakes.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #7
jumper182
1980 CJ7 

Frame Update

So, its been a long summer, fall and now getting close to winter. Although in South Carolina, winter isn't too bad.

I've been busy with all sorts of other things, life, work, etc....and a little time for the jeep. So here is it sits today:

Frame is done, I did get it straightened, rear cross member welded on, and it has been powder coated. There is a local place that did the frame, axle cases, front knuckles and a box of misc parts for a good price.

Here are some pictures:

I had to fish a new nut in the front for a shackle mount:

Just used some wire I had, weld it in, re-tap to clear some slag.

Before I sent it, I cleaned out the inside as well I as I could, and will spray the inside to coat it. Looking at a couple of cans of Eastman's frame coat.

Frame and axles before

Frame after;

Rear repair area
Unread 12-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #8
jumper182
1980 CJ7 

Axle Re-Gear

I dis-assembled the axles completely, and I am re-gearing.

Before getting them powder coated, I did weld the tubes to the center case.

I got new 3.73 gears for the front and rear, and now I'm going to start the re-build.

I'm going to re-use the dana 30 diff case/carrier, but I want to pull off the old bearings. The front axle was a MESS when I opened, definitely water in the oil, so I'm going to change these out.

Case is fully dis-assembled, ring gear off, spider gears out, just bearings left....

QUESTIONS:

I've read on lots of posts how to put the diff case bearings on, but how do you get them off, bearings circled in blue?

How do I get this crush sleeve out, it was pretty well bent up when I pulled the pinion?
I've tried driving it out with a brash bar, but does it need to be pressed out?
And will this inner pinion bearing race have to come out with it?

Thanks,
Mike
Unread 12-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

It's been awhile but if I remember correctly, the sleeve goes on the pinion shaft after the bearing. Therefore the sleeve has to be taken out by driving it into the case towards the bearing race (which should always be replaced with it's bearing). It looks as though your trying to drive the sleeve from the inside out (towards the yoke). Correct me if I'm wrong.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2012, 09:10 AM   #10
jumper182
1980 CJ7 

Dana 30 questions

Renegade82, sorry for not being clear, my fault.
No, I wasn't trying to get out towards the yoke, but I was trying to get that out, by driving towards the front, away from the yoke.

Here are two pictures from the yoke side:

Closer look from yoke side:

I tried to drive it out from this side, towards the front of the axle, away from the picture in this view.

It looks like this sleeve is between the bearing race and the case, so question is, how to get the race out?

Is there a tool, puller, something to get the race out? or is it a brass drift and BFH? (Big F..king Hammer)?
Unread 12-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #11
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

I would use a long drift punch made of steel and just be careful. But if you have a brass one try that. And a bfh!
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
Skerr
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
It's been awhile but if I remember correctly, the sleeve goes on the pinion shaft after the bearing. Therefore the sleeve has to be taken out by driving it into the case towards the bearing race (which should always be replaced with it's bearing). It looks as though your trying to drive the sleeve from the inside out (towards the yoke). Correct me if I'm wrong.
Rene... I think you got that wrong. The bearing would press onto the pinion, then the pinion is inserted from inside the case. Then your outer bearing... mmm... wait a minute... I'm thinking AMC20, and he's working on a D30. I don't know anything about a D30! But on the 20 the crush sleeve is what gives the preload to the bearings. It shouldn't be stuck in the housing! Something is fishy!

Jumper- you may have already fixed this problem. Looks like you're rolling along pretty well. The frame and parts look really good.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #13
pman
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Jumper-
Looking good brother! Where are you in Chuck? I'm in Mount P if you're ever in need of an extra hand. I'm impressed with your frame repair.
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #14
jumper182
1980 CJ7 

Thanks for the kind words! I'm learning a ton, when I get time to work on the project.

I posted a separate thread about rust proofing the inside of the frame:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/in.../#post14601667

I also think I found the answers for the axle questions. Dummy me, I found this website a long time ago, forgot about, and re-found it....gotta book mark!

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl..._20_axle_tech/

This has pictures of the bearing race removals and the carrier bearing removals.
Unread 12-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #15
BOISERUNNER
1979 CJ7 

lookin Great Jumper
BOISERUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.