Metal filings on drain plug to transfer case - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Metal filings on drain plug to transfer case

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 09-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
Uagoogs
1985 CJ7 

Metal filings on drain plug to transfer case

Changed fluid to d300 and there were clearly filings on the plug.
I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, so I am interested in the potential causes and my next steps.

First, is this a pressing issue with no other obvious symptoms? What are the symptoms of a failing t-case?

Second, is a rebuild doable for some one my position (my thinking is that I need to learn sometime)?

Any thing else that I am not asking, but should be, please feel free to answer that as well.

Thanks folks

Uagoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 05:48 AM   #2
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Well it depends on the amount and size of the particles. Most people dont change thier transfer case fluid often, and it really dosent need to be replaced on a regular basis. In four wheel high the input and output shaft are locked together and everything else is not engaged so wear on the 300 is minimal.

Unless your hearing wierd noises or your 300 is leaking like crazy I would leave it alone.

And yes they can be rebuilt very easily.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 05:56 AM   #3
Mickey_Mouse
2013 KK Liberty 

Mickey_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
davbytrace
1979 CJ7 

If the filings are powder sized, it is probably normal wear over the years. It is a mechanical device that sees a lot of action, and should be expected to wear over time. The transfer cases a very robust and should not need an overhaul under normal use.

Change the fluid and keep on operating, but check it again in six months.

One guy posted on here a few years back and said the if you can't read part numbers on the metal shavings, you don't have a problem.

Now that view may be a little extreme, but I would not get wrapped around the axle about a few filings.
davbytrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
kcarlsonjeep
1979 CJ5 

Only if there are metal chunks on the drain plug. I pull out drain plugs all the time on rear diffs and trannys with steel filings on it. The filing are just from normal wear.
No need to rebuild
kcarlsonjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.