Metal or Fiberglass Tub replacement for 79 cj7 ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Metal or Fiberglass Tub replacement for 79 cj7 ?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
FireStomper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Metal or Fiberglass Tub replacement for 79 cj7 ?

My wife purchased me a 79 CJ7 and I have searched the threads with no luck so... I need some opinions one way or the other on my tub problem. I dont know much about fabrication and twice as less about welding. My tub has the floor rusted out except for the tranny hump from firewall to the riser to the rear seat. The firewall on driver side is 30% gone as well. All the side panels and the rest of the jeep body are in great shape and my frame, by the grace of God was in great shape. My delima is Im a fireman/medic with ten kids and this was sold to my wife as a "drivable project" and its not. So being the tightwad I am Im trying to decide if I spend the estimated $1000 to $1200 to have the floors redone or do I purchase a new fiberglass for $1500?? I need pros and cons please or ideas of another direction maybe?? Id post pics from my pc but have not figured that out yet...lol

FireStomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Id stay with good ol' dentable steel. fiberglass just cracks. Maybe this is a oppertunity to learn to Fab and weld? I learned when i was 12. Once you get the hang of it, it is pretty easy.
Tylerzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
Mister 4x4
1980 CJ5 

Once you learn how to weld and fabricate a bit everything mechanical in nature just seems so much easier.
Mister 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 05:49 PM   #4
FireStomper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I would love to learn how to do welding and fabrication but I have neither an outlet to learn nor the time really. I barely have time to work on the jeep itself. I like the idea of sticking with the metal though. Its just killing me how expensive it is to have it done.
Unread 08-24-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
Newjeep75
1986 CJ7 

Just go with Glass. Once it's on and everything is okay, it is great to have a Jeep that looks great, all the time, year after year, forever pretty much.

I have an '86 glass CJ7 now, but I used to have a '75 CJ5 glass Jeep. Many people on the road would ask me how I like my brand new Jeep. And a lot of them freaked when I told them it was a '75.

Todd.
Newjeep75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
GPER
1979 CJ7 

Glass body going on 21 years old now. I wouldn't do it any other way
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #7
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

first i wouldnt buy a new one. i would do exactly what i did again and that is buy a cj/yj tub off craigslist. i for example got an 88 yj tub. it is galvenized. had no rust and no dents. and was only $300. using a yj tub takes some minor modification but their is TONS of info on this forum and others on it. its very easy to do and if you plan on doing any wheeling it doesnt crack like glass. if its a looker and maybe some easy non wooded trails glass is better since it doesnt rust. its up to you but if you get a good deal on either, they both work fine
'79 CJ7 stock, 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_304_cj7 View Post
I used Marvel once before I took my Jeep out on the trails. I didn't get stuck all weekend so I guess it works.
SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
WoodyHD
1983 CJ7 

If I did it again I'd probably go steel and spray it with zinc. Well actually I didn't have a choice, PO did all the tub work.

Maybe it's just because it's AJ's, but I have had so many problems with things not fitting right. Missing body mounts, modified steering to dash brace, lengthened brake booster shaft, custom aluminum tailgate seal/latch, body just ain't square, both doors rub (tried putting driver door on other day and now I can't get it to fit), steel reinforcement not all where it should be & some where it shouldn't, steel reinforcement rusted out on hood hinges, hood fits crooked, windshield slightly crooked, dash trimmed on edges. Think I'm missing a few things.

I have to admit, knowing that you will never have to deal with a rusting body offsets most downfalls. Don't know if this is universal to paint and gel coat, but I have one hell of a time getting smashed bugs off the front of the fenders even with cutting creme. lol
WoodyHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 07:09 PM   #9
FireStomper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Ok stupid question then... Will the fenders and such from the CJ I have now fit back on the YJ tub, if I find one
Unread 08-24-2011, 07:13 PM   #10
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

yes. basically the only major difference is some of the mounts are a little off. easiest way to fix that is to cut and reweld the perches on the frame. search the forum, you will find many threads on it.
'79 CJ7 stock, 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_304_cj7 View Post
I used Marvel once before I took my Jeep out on the trails. I didn't get stuck all weekend so I guess it works.
SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.