Metal or Fiberglass Tub replacement for 79 cj7 ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Metal or Fiberglass Tub replacement for 79 cj7 ?

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
FireStomper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Metal or Fiberglass Tub replacement for 79 cj7 ?

My wife purchased me a 79 CJ7 and I have searched the threads with no luck so... I need some opinions one way or the other on my tub problem. I dont know much about fabrication and twice as less about welding. My tub has the floor rusted out except for the tranny hump from firewall to the riser to the rear seat. The firewall on driver side is 30% gone as well. All the side panels and the rest of the jeep body are in great shape and my frame, by the grace of God was in great shape. My delima is Im a fireman/medic with ten kids and this was sold to my wife as a "drivable project" and its not. So being the tightwad I am Im trying to decide if I spend the estimated $1000 to $1200 to have the floors redone or do I purchase a new fiberglass for $1500?? I need pros and cons please or ideas of another direction maybe?? Id post pics from my pc but have not figured that out yet...lol

FireStomper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Id stay with good ol' dentable steel. fiberglass just cracks. Maybe this is a oppertunity to learn to Fab and weld? I learned when i was 12. Once you get the hang of it, it is pretty easy.
Tylerzap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
Mister 4x4
1980 CJ5 

Once you learn how to weld and fabricate a bit everything mechanical in nature just seems so much easier.
Mister 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
FireStomper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I would love to learn how to do welding and fabrication but I have neither an outlet to learn nor the time really. I barely have time to work on the jeep itself. I like the idea of sticking with the metal though. Its just killing me how expensive it is to have it done.
Unread 08-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
Newjeep75
1986 CJ7 

Just go with Glass. Once it's on and everything is okay, it is great to have a Jeep that looks great, all the time, year after year, forever pretty much.

I have an '86 glass CJ7 now, but I used to have a '75 CJ5 glass Jeep. Many people on the road would ask me how I like my brand new Jeep. And a lot of them freaked when I told them it was a '75.

Todd.
Newjeep75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
GPER
1979 CJ7 

Glass body going on 21 years old now. I wouldn't do it any other way
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2011, 07:18 PM   #7
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

first i wouldnt buy a new one. i would do exactly what i did again and that is buy a cj/yj tub off craigslist. i for example got an 88 yj tub. it is galvenized. had no rust and no dents. and was only $300. using a yj tub takes some minor modification but their is TONS of info on this forum and others on it. its very easy to do and if you plan on doing any wheeling it doesnt crack like glass. if its a looker and maybe some easy non wooded trails glass is better since it doesnt rust. its up to you but if you get a good deal on either, they both work fine
'79 CJ7 sold
'82 CJ7 parted
'89 MJ sold

SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
WoodyHD
1983 CJ7 

If I did it again I'd probably go steel and spray it with zinc. Well actually I didn't have a choice, PO did all the tub work.

Maybe it's just because it's AJ's, but I have had so many problems with things not fitting right. Missing body mounts, modified steering to dash brace, lengthened brake booster shaft, custom aluminum tailgate seal/latch, body just ain't square, both doors rub (tried putting driver door on other day and now I can't get it to fit), steel reinforcement not all where it should be & some where it shouldn't, steel reinforcement rusted out on hood hinges, hood fits crooked, windshield slightly crooked, dash trimmed on edges. Think I'm missing a few things.

I have to admit, knowing that you will never have to deal with a rusting body offsets most downfalls. Don't know if this is universal to paint and gel coat, but I have one hell of a time getting smashed bugs off the front of the fenders even with cutting creme. lol
WoodyHD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2011, 08:09 PM   #9
FireStomper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Ok stupid question then... Will the fenders and such from the CJ I have now fit back on the YJ tub, if I find one
Unread 08-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

yes. basically the only major difference is some of the mounts are a little off. easiest way to fix that is to cut and reweld the perches on the frame. search the forum, you will find many threads on it.
'79 CJ7 sold
'82 CJ7 parted
'89 MJ sold

SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2014, 08:48 AM   #11
yawnke

FIRESTOMPER I'm in the same boat, 79 CJ7 with lots of rust. LOTS of rust! I have pretty much been sold on the fiberglass but finding one has been just as daunting a task as steel. A total tub replacement is what I'm looking at and like you I'm on a budget. No RUST is why I'm looking forward to fiberglass seems to be a little easier to work with w/out welding skills. I too am a fireman and you may get some help from the guys at the station with the welding. It has paid off for me one of our guys is a whiz at electronics and another help with some issues I was having with the motor. Good Luck keep posting updates.
yawnke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2014, 09:11 AM   #12
Mortgage-payer
1976 CJ7 

Once you learn to fab and weld your attractiveness to women as a self-reliant man goes up by a factor of 10.
Mortgage-payer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #13
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Honestly, 'glass will flex more than you think before the cracking is apparent. And if it does crack, repair is easier than welding, just sand it down, repair the glass, and sand it smooth to shape. Paint is the only issue then, but it would be the same if you were cutting/welding... Granted, you will have to adapt things a bit for the 'glass, like I had to modify the track part for the Bestop Supertop when I put it on to match the curve as it was a little sharper than the track was, but then again I'd only recommend the Replace-a-Top from them anyways....

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2014, 02:43 PM   #14
swampbuddy
1983 CJ7 

I have a glass 83 CJ7 and man do I have to adjust everything I put on it.
The aftermarket tube fenders don't line up so I had to move the mounting holes. The full hard doors don't sit flush all around. Everything you bolt on has to have a washer or so other kind of support behind it or the screws will rip out or crack the fiberglass. Everything electric needs a ground since the tub can't be used as a ground.

A steel tub you'll be fighting rust all the time unless you strip it clean and treat it. But if something doesn't line up you can tweak it a little without fear of the tub cracking.

If I had to do it again I might go for an aluminum tub or spend the cash and buy a steel and have it galvanized.
Unread 10-04-2014, 03:58 PM   #15
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

You're a man with a large family so I'd wager your budget for both time and money is extremely tight.

The YJ tub would be the way to go if you can find one with minor/no rust issues. They are cheaper and easier to adapt than a new FG tub (there is no welding required for the body mounts as was previously eluded to). So you'd be dollars ahead as well as spend alot less time getting it back on the road.

FG may have some advantages but in your scenario I'd vote YJ tub all the way.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.