metal cloak rocker rails - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > metal cloak rocker rails

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
Offroaddaddy
1986 CJ7 

metal cloak rocker rails

Hey all...

Question...anyone here using metal cloaks rocker rails on their FIBERGLASS bodied CJ7?

Thank you
Paul

Offroaddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
Offroaddaddy
1986 CJ7 

bump! please!
Unread 04-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroaddaddy View Post
Hey all...

Question...anyone here using metal cloaks rocker rails on their FIBERGLASS bodied CJ7?

Thank you
Paul
Very interested to hear what others are doing for rocker protection on their glass bodies. I would like a rail as well, that my wife can use to step up on.
Unread 04-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
Offroaddaddy
1986 CJ7 

I hear you on that....I am thinking to bolt onto the fiberglass as you would with a steel body, BUT also add a plate of steel (3/16"?) along the inside as backing for the nut. Basically sandwich the fiberglass rock between the steel plate and the rocker rail...
But would hate to spend $$ to find out my idea was wrong...so hoping someone can share their actual experiences and pictures as to what they did successfully.
Unread 04-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
Nereussailor
1984 CJ7 

I've been thinking about this too. My idea was to bolt or weld to the frame somehow. If you bolt to the fiberglass body wouldn't it crack?
Unread 04-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #6
Offroaddaddy
1986 CJ7 

Maybe not with the reinforcement plate along the inside of the tub?
Unread 04-04-2013, 04:58 AM   #7
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereussailor View Post
I've been thinking about this too. My idea was to bolt or weld to the frame somehow. If you bolt to the fiberglass body wouldn't it crack?
I think that is why he posted the original question. I'm worried about rocker protection with a side rail as well, because If someone steps on that, it will have more leverage and possibly crack.
Unread 04-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
Offroaddaddy
1986 CJ7 

Bump
Unread 04-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
S76
1984 CJ7 

I really don't know much abouut your setup but I can't imagine being able to bolt anything to fiberglass and not have it crack. Yes you can put a plate reinforcement behind to help but that means it will just take a little longer to crack at the edge of the plate. Lots of leverage and weight when you stand on it.

I would bolt to the frame.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.