Mesh or solid bikini top? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Mesh or solid bikini top?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 04-19-2010, 01:34 PM   #1
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Mesh or solid bikini top?

Thinking of getting the mesh one - topless means sun, air, etc, right? A solid one would almost be like a regular soft top with the sides rolled up. Which is better though - pros and cons of each? 78 CJ5, stock sport bar, so choices somewhat limited..

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

I've had both, and I prefer the mesh because rainwater doesn't collect in it. It also just feels more open and airy!

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2010, 06:27 AM   #3
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I have the strapless bikini and love it. It adds an air of solidity that the mesh one does not have.

As they are inexpensive why not both?
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2010, 07:08 AM   #4
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Chet View Post
I've had both, and I prefer the mesh because rainwater doesn't collect in it. It also just feels more open and airy!
I gotta ask. Why even have a top ?
I have a traditional one. Brand new and never used. It is for when I am getting too much sun or if I get caught topless and it starts raining.
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2010, 07:30 AM   #5
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I prefer the mesh. Doesn't get as hot.
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2010, 08:11 AM   #6
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

to me, it totally depends on where you live, and what you want it for.

a mesh top for me would be completely worthless, it doesn't stop any moisture (if needed), and if it's not going to possibly sprinkle, what do I need a top for?

now for you guys that live somehwere in which the sun actually comes out, I can see where a mesh top for shade would help (but again, I kind of think a regular would provide the most shade?)

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2010, 08:17 AM   #7
InfernoGirl
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Mesh is great for the really hot days, keeps things cooler. I don't own a bikini/safari, cause I like the open air and if it rains, I'll just throw up the soft top. Most of the time it's topless, but like I said when it's 98* and you're sitting in traffic, the shade from the mesh is very nice!

01 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L, auto Sienna Mine
07 2D Rubicon Flame Red His
InfernoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2010, 08:18 AM   #8
SloppyJoseph
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'd go topless before i did the mesh. I run the newer style bikini and I like it. Get the normal one. The mesh doesn't make sense to me.
SloppyJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2010, 08:37 AM   #9
TRex

1979 CJ7 

The mesh looks cool but I think the only benefit is the slight UV reduction. My damn Scottish lineage requires me to have some sort of sun protection and for that reason, the traditional bikini will top my CJ.
Unread 04-20-2010, 09:33 AM   #10
crcj7
1986 CJ7 

i have the solid one. strapless its nice i used to use it as a top if i got stuck in the rain with out the hard top near by it is also nice for wheeling in the summer cause you can put the doors on and it keeps most of the mud and other crap out without being as hot as the full top.
Unread 04-20-2010, 09:41 AM   #11
thord
1986 CJ7 

i live in Memphis and it will eventually get unbearable 90-100 and humid. i have a solid old skool bikini and it blocks the sun completely (from above, not sides). with it on, it is 10 degrees cooler underneath it. never used a mesh, but i dont understand the need for it, at least here in memphis. either ya want sun or not.
thord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2010, 09:49 AM   #12
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Mesh bikini for the win! I've had 2 so far & it's by far my favorite top!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/...p-call-796196/

The mesh provides a level of shade, without restricting your view. It also "calms" the wind at road speed to almost eliminate buffeting wind gusts. Best of all is the QUIETNESS of the mesh top. Traditional solid bikini tops flap & sound like you're inside a drum, the mesh allows air flow so there is no flapping at all. With that, the wind noise level is eerily absent.

Plus they're dirt cheap!

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2010, 10:06 AM   #13
Viencent
1982 CJ7 

I live in Texas, hot summer sun here, and love the mess top my wife made me
Viencent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #14
74CJMatlock
1974 CJ5 

I have a solid bikini top, and it's the only top of any kind that I use from March through October. Therefore, if I need rain protection, that's what I have. It doesn't provide much, but it provides more than nothing at all. There's a huge difference, IMHO, between the Bikini top and a full soft top with the sides and back rolled up (and doors off, I assume). Firstly, the full top even rolled, etc. will cover about 2x as much area. Secondly, you have to fool with all the hardware being up with the full top up, but not with the bikini (to me, that's a major issue when off-roading in a forested environment where you're scraping against trees, etc.). Thirdly, the full top is such a PITA to put up/on and take off/down. The bikini is two minutes on (much less if a friend helps), and fifteen seconds off--and you can stash it under a seat when it's off.
Unread 04-20-2010, 12:55 PM   #15
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Yeah, The mesh does sound better. I like the idea of the openness and air, but my girlfriend (and my bald head) burns easily, so I thought with the mesh it'd be just enough to reduce the sun and still have that open feel. I just haven't seen any mesh ones around here, and so I didn't know if they were prone to issues or not.

Quote:
cause you can put the doors on and it keeps most of the mud and other crap out without being as hot as the full top.
I can't do that with mine - I have to have the top on for the doors to latch..

I do like the one-of-each idea though

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.