Mechanical temp sender - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Mechanical temp sender

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
Nereussailor
1984 CJ7 

Mechanical temp sender

I bought a set of gauges a while back, and have been researching here to find the best place to install the sending unit for a mechanical temp gauge. It came with a 3/4" fitting that is supposed to thread into the block or intake manifold. My manifold doesn't have a 3/4" hole for the fitting that I can find. I did find a plug on the bottom side of the intake manifold that I think is 3/4" but I'm not sure and it's hard to get at. Does anyone know if that plug goes into the water jacket, or into the exhaust run? I've read about putting a fitting in the heater hose near the thermostat, but really don't want to cobble something up. If I bush the fitting down to fit in the block, I can't see where it would get enough flow into it to get an accurate reading. Any other suggestions?

Unread 02-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

You might be able to remove the CTO if you're not using it. It is a temperature-activated valve for the vacuum system. Here's an explanation.
Unread 02-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
Nereussailor
1984 CJ7 

I'm not using that plug so I tried that spot, but it's too small. I'd bave to make an adapter to hold the fitting, but I'm thinking that because it would stick out so far that it wouldn't give an accurate reading because of lack of coolant flow. If I could get a camera up under the manifold, I could get a pic of the plug I'm talking about. I'll try today.
Unread 02-03-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
scoutboater

1974 CJ5 

I opted for the aftermarket electronic temp gauge in mine. They come with a smaller sensor, and it just barely fits in the stock location of the I6 right next to the thermostat.

I know you already bought a gauge, but if it comes down to it, would you be willing to take it back where you got it and trade it?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.