Mechanical oil pressure gauge has leak and reads incorrectly - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Mechanical oil pressure gauge has leak and reads incorrectly

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 09-30-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Mechanical oil pressure gauge has leak and reads incorrectly

My '85 with 258 has a Sunpro mechanical oil pressure gauge, probably originally installed around 1994. The gauge is fed via a thin plastic tube from a fitting on the engine, probably where the factory oil pressure sender was.

The gauge sometimes works fine but other times seems to get stick at 60 to 80 PSI. I didn't worry too much about it until I noticed a small amount of oil that has wicked onto the dash panel. Now I'm more motivated to fix or replace it because I don't want oil all over my radio or dash.

- Should I throw the thing out or try to fix it? It could be as simple is tightening the fitting that connects the tube to the gauge body, but I have no experience with mechanical oil pressure gauges so if they're known to be crap, then I'm more inclined to replace it.

- If I replace it, should I go with a mechanical or electrical one?

Thanks!

Unread 09-30-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

You might check and make sure your fittings at the gauge are not leaking. If the gauge still leaks, I would toss it. I used to be a calibration tech and found that certain Stewart Warner mechanical gauges were within 3% of full scale reading (+/- 2.4 PSI for an 80 PSI gauge) but don't know if the quality is still the same. Darn, I should have written down the model number before I retired 2 1/2 years ago. The electrical ones seem to be a little sporadic. The advantage in going electrical is that you don't have a pressure tube that may leak.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Toss it out, Sunpro sucks. I had a Sunpro voltmeter that bounced all over the place like a honeybee on crack cocaine. Replaced it with an Autometer and it's steady as a rock.

It's seriously not worth dicking with, a new Autometer classic chrome is money well spent. I have all mechanical gauges and like them. Since you've already got mechanical that's what I'd replace it with. The new gauge will come with new nylon line, and if you take your time installing it, you won't have any leaks.
Pathkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
TBailey
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathkiller View Post
Toss it out, Sunpro sucks. I had a Sunpro voltmeter that bounced all over the place like a honeybee on crack cocaine. Replaced it with an Autometer and it's steady as a rock.

It's seriously not worth dicking with, a new Autometer classic chrome is money well spent. I have all mechanical gauges and like them. Since you've already got mechanical that's what I'd replace it with. The new gauge will come with new nylon line, and if you take your time installing it, you won't have any leaks.
I wouldn't say sunpro is junk.They are not auto meter but they beat nothing.

I would check that plastic line those things get brittle after a year or so.If it is the line you can get copper oil pressure line at autozone and you will never have a problem with the copper line.
TBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #5
CrazyHorse6
1979 CJ7 

My personal recommendation is to wire in an electrical gauge. I know they are not nearly as accurate, but I like the idea of not worrying about nicking, cutting or accidentally wearing a hole in the tube and being SOL on the trail or road.

If you just need to watch the gauge for a ballpark idea of pressure so you can tell if it is ever way too high or way too low, an electric gauge with sending unit will be fine. If you need fine tuned numbers of what your pressure is for some reason, stick with a mechanical.

Are you military or former military? Take a look at militaryjeepers.com!
CrazyHorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Was the factory oil pressure gauge electric or mechanical?
Unread 09-30-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Electric
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 06:59 PM   #8
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

Keep the mechanical gauge or get a new one. I have a Autometer with the ss braided line that screws into the sender port and into the gauge. Easy to install and no leaks.
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 06:18 AM   #9
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

I have the same set up you do. I had to replace the guage too but it started as a leak as well. I got a new sunpro for $16 and a copper line kit that made all the difference and was EASY to install.

twoleos617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 08:28 AM   #10
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

This weekend I will pull the radio and dash panel and see if I can tighten the fitting on the line going to gauge. As long as I can stop the leak, I'll be happy.

If I go to an electrical gauge, I assume I need to install a new sender. Any idea what those cost?
Unread 10-01-2010, 08:34 AM   #11
JimNut
1986 CJ7 

If you buy an electrical oil pressure gauge they usually come with the sending unit as well. Price will depend on brand. Sunpro is around 20-25 bucks online and autometer will vary from 50ish and up.

JimNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 08:39 AM   #12
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

$13 at AZ
twoleos617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 08:48 AM   #13
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

What size is the factory oil pressure gauge? 2 1/16" ?
Unread 10-01-2010, 10:09 AM   #14
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

I'd recommend an electric gauge for the reason previously stated-much less chance of leakage. If you use a quality one (Auto Meter, Stewart Warner) it should be plenty accurate. If you decide to go with the mechanical type, don't use the crappy nylon tube that comes with the gauge-use copper tubing, and put a couple of coils in it near where it attaches to the engine to absorb vibration, and make sure it's protected from abrasion where it passes through the firewall.
colojeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #15
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Here's a new thread regarding an oil pressure gage tubing leak.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ka...-leak-1109795/
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.