Measuring for shocks? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Measuring for shocks?

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 11-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #16
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Forklift is the way to go. No guessing at droop and it will allow you to set your bumpstops precisely after installing a lift.

Without stuffing the wheel how else would you know where to set the bumpstops?

This method (or a ramp) lets you see exactly what you need.

Unread 11-16-2011, 09:49 PM   #17
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

I hear what your saying but I don't have a forklift or an articulation ramp. I guess maybe I didn't fully explain the basis for my inquiry. I'm talking about a frame off restore with a new suspension. I'll be putting on OME springs for a yj, which flex more than most. I want to be able to use the whole range of available flex. The current plan is to get Superlift shocks and based on 4" of lift, the rears have a range of 15 1/2" - 26", a 10 1/2" range; and the fronts are 13 1/4" - 21 1/2", an 8 1/4" range. I want to make sure these will work before I order them, so I need to figure this out during the build. I agree the best way to determine the bumpstop length is to use a ramp or forklift once it's all together, but I won't have that luxury till it's all put together. Hence my initial question.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2011, 10:36 PM   #18
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Just wait and flex it out when you are done then. That is really the only way to get it right.

Any other way is a crap shoot and you would be guessing at it and most likely limiting the amount of flex it is capable of.

What is the hurry in putting shocks on it now?
Unread 11-17-2011, 06:51 AM   #19
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Renegade82,

You don't need a forklift, or an articulation ramp, to measure the range of spring movement. A floor jack works just fine.

Alternatively, you can benefit from my experience with the same OME springs you are using, and go with the OME N95 long travel shocks all the way around.

Matt
shockon2.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2011, 09:16 AM   #20
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Well to get both extremes I'll also need to compress them too, that's why I was thinking of the hi-lift used in a clamping setup. While OME shocks would be nice, I'm not looking to spend $90+ a shock right now. Do you know what the extended and collapsed lengths are for that particular shock? ARB/OME website doesn't even list parts for Jeeps, only wranglers and cherokee's. 4WD's page says "This shock measures 23.38 extended length and 14.13 compressed length." But it also says it's for a 2.5" lift, where mine is closer to 4". I also noticed they have a different part number listed for the superlift shocks than Superlift's site does, so again it comes down to misleading info on websites and the need to call them for details!!

On a full flex, how tight are your stock brake lines?
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.